Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 255418 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1725 on: 28 April, 2024, 07:36:43 pm »
Some years ago, my mother gave us some bluebells for the garden. They have done pretty well. Unfortunately they are the Spanish type, so I have spent most of the afternoon on my hands and knees removing them. When we're sure there are none left lurking (so not this winter) we will replace with proper English ones.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1726 on: 29 April, 2024, 10:44:47 am »
Spanish type
They are very difficult to get rid of. 
Whatever you do, don't put the bulbs in the compost bin or anywhere else they might survive.
As well as the bulbs, they set viable seed, and you don't notice the seedlings till several years later....
Putting the area down to grass and mowing for a decade or two does the trick.

« Reply #1727 on: 04 May, 2024, 11:02:48 am »
I will be doing a significant amount of weeding later, but this morning I took a moment to admire one of our wisteriaa. It's about 5 years old, and has vever before hinted at flowering. This was it this morning.

Wisteria #1 by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1728 on: 04 May, 2024, 01:47:04 pm »
I was wondering if a wisteria would be suitable for growing up a fence? Or are they a bit too heavy?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1729 on: 04 May, 2024, 02:11:50 pm »
No, they’d be fine - a rambling rose is a lot heavier. And we used to have a clematis armandii up our fence and that’s also more dense than the wisteria. In fact that one is being gradually trained along the fence behind it as well. We have a second, later flowering, over a pergola.

« Reply #1730 on: 04 May, 2024, 03:15:17 pm »
Well I cleared the raised beds of weeds, a couple of dozen foxgloves that had self set and chard that had gone to seed. The robins enjoyed that. However it filled to the brim our ‘in use’ compost bin, so then I hade to empty the oldest of the 3 and mulch the roses, honeysuckle and clematis plus the apple, cherry and pear. The quince can fend for itself.

Whilst in the front I noticed the cotoneaster we have as a low hedge under the front window. It’s just barely in flower but had several dozen honeybees on it.

Oh, and the swallows were back after yesterday’s washout.

« Reply #1731 on: 07 May, 2024, 10:24:07 am »
Over the weekend I planted out the beans, and built a thing for them to climb, which was satisfying.
I also did some weeding and trimmed the lawn edges.

« Reply #1732 on: 07 May, 2024, 12:03:46 pm »
A fair bit in the jungle that passes for my garden this morning

Finished potting on leaks and dropped rest round to a friend as ran out of space

Planted out beans that i started in toilet rolls

Weeded a load of pots that mostly hsd strawberries in, stupid error #2 emptying compost out of an weeded pot into one with strawberry plant in and forgot had rocks in bottom for drainage so plants took a battering

Mistake #1 was a few weeks back grabbed a bag of compost in B&Q and missed fact its ericaceous, not a big issue and some Heather I can pot up and rest will top up round raspberries and gooseberries.

Then just carried on tidying patio/courtyard area including cutting bag sage and mint which have swamped the herb bed and planted up some free tomatoe plants I picked up yesterday on dog walk

« Reply #1733 on: 08 May, 2024, 01:08:59 pm »
Planted two pear trees.

Dug two holes, each about 2 spade-holes wide and 1.5 deep.

Out of each hole I managed to get one bucket of soil. Completely filled barrow with rocks.

I needed a crowbar to smash and prise out rocks.

Bloody hell, the ground here is ridiculous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1734 on: 08 May, 2024, 05:47:58 pm »
Potted up 10 (5 dwarf, 5 big) sunflowers, 4 lupins (the snails eat them but I keep trying) and sewed some echinacea which will probably be a fail again but I've got the seeds so...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.