Author Topic: Freezing EATING apples ?  (Read 4785 times)

Freezing EATING apples ?
« on: 05 October, 2015, 08:48:26 am »
Can you?

The eating apple tree, Laxton Fortune I think , has got a heavy crop this year; some are dropping off, about 30 so far but there are plenty still on the tree.

I think that laxton is a reasonable `keeper` but only for a few weeks; as much as I like apples I can`t keep up with current tree output so am wondering about freezing (sliced etc ) and then using in crumbles maybe mixed with another fruit.

Any thoughts ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Freezing EATING apples ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:45:12 am »
I know you have capitalised the word eating for a reason but our bramley apples which get put in crumbles, pies, chutney etc do get frozen in slices and are none the worse for being frozen.

I would think the eaters will be just the same if sliced and frozen. The only effect defrosting will have is that they won't be crunchy any more but as you are intending to cook them it will make no difference.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:52:07 am »
My cook informs me that the only difference between "cooking" and "eating" apples is that the cookers keep their shape more when cooked, and that the eating varieties collapse into more of a puree.  So freeze away! 

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:15:54 am »
Juice 'em and freeze the juice?

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2015, 07:27:33 am »

haven`t got a juicer or blender  ::-)

Having made a start on the freezing process I can see why apple peelers were invented !!!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2015, 07:51:27 am »

Juice them and make cider, itym

When I was into my homebrew, I used to get given metric shitloads of apples (several inlaws and neighbours had trees),. The best way, I found, to extract the juice was to roughly chopped the apples up then whizz them in a food processor. The resulting pulp was strained through a muslin. Saved loads of time as the alternative was to put them through a mincer!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:14:04 am »
Juice and freeze.

See if someone local has an apple press - look for a 'permaculture' group nearby or something like that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
My cook informs me that the only difference between "cooking" and "eating" apples is that the cookers keep their shape more when cooked, and that the eating varieties collapse into more of a puree.  So freeze away!

Uh? Bramleys mush after brief cooking and eaters keep their shape IME...

« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:20:54 pm »
Thanks Helly!  I was hoping no one would notice!  You are of course correct as I found out last night when I related this thread to her.  "You never pay attention to anything I tell you" was the response.  :-[

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:39:21 pm »

Juicers and blenders were invented after fruit juice! We make juice from our apples by cooking them up in a little water then straining them through a muslin -although this is bramleys which as stated above go mushy. You might find a tea towel will work fine as a muslin but you would have to suspend it above a bowl fairly securely - we've had more than one batch fall into the bowl with erupting apple mush spreading itself over the kitchen as a result  ::-)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »

Juicers and blenders were invented after fruit juice! We make juice from our apples by cooking them up in a little water then straining them through a muslin -although this is bramleys which as stated above go mushy. You might find a tea towel will work fine as a muslin but you would have to suspend it above a bowl fairly securely - we've had more than one batch fall into the bowl with erupting apple mush spreading itself over the kitchen as a result  ::-)

That's of course just what is done with crab apples to extract the juice too ----although juice isn`t really for drinking !!!!

« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2015, 11:15:23 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:49:35 pm »
I've not tried this yet but how about dried apple rings, probably a bit of a faff but I've used shop bought ones as pocket snacks on rides and very toothsome they is too.
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:11:40 pm »
Dried apple rings are indeed toothsome in a chewy kind of marshmallow way.
I've no idea how I'd dry apples from the tree in the garden at home though.

« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:45:22 pm »
The answer is probably to be found in t'intererweb Giant Bok of All Culinary Nollidge an' Stuffs. if not I'm sure Delia knows.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:52:19 pm »
The answer is probably to be found in t'intererweb Giant Bok of All Culinary Nollidge an' Stuffs. if not I'm sure Delia knows.

10-20 hours in an oven, turning/rotating occasionally - I think not!

« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2015, 12:09:45 am »

Ummm probably not feasible, perhaps those ones in the handy plastic bags in shops were put on this Earth for a REASON!!!

« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2015, 02:30:13 pm »

Ahhh... but if one has an aga, dahhhling...

« Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2015, 03:39:32 pm »
In my yoof we used to live off stewed apples and pears at this time of year. Eventually , you will get sick of it .
My advice would be to peel the apples , core and quarter them  , then  stew them with a bit of sugar to create something near to pie filling.
Then freeze them in ice cream tubs or bags inside tubs. Stack like bricks.

I have never beeen a fan of freezing stuff in it's natural state.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19 on: 30 October, 2015, 08:03:17 am »
My excess apples and pears got juiced and fermented this year, just bottled one gallon of cider, one of perry and more still fermenting.  I let the other residents of the home have some juice for drinking as well, but I'm happy to wait for my share.  O:-)

I've successfully frozen excesses of all kinds of fruit in the past from rhubarb through to chopped apples which end up in porridge.  Stewed with a few spices works as well as a porridge topping, and is good for those blemished/damaged/wormy apples where they might not make good eaters.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:12:40 pm »
I have a food drier and make apple crisps, and fruit leather… Yum

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:46:10 pm »
A bit late now but Apple Chutney! Some faff and layout* but absolutely delicious anf handy for Cristmas presents by the time it has matured.

* A Maslin pan would be ideal, and is the gateway to the quiet satisfaction of all things preserving.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:51:47 pm »
* A Maslin pan would be ideal, and is the gateway to the quiet satisfaction of all things preserving.
Not heard of one of those. Is it just a preserving pan?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:21:31 pm »
A bit late now but Apple Chutney! Some faff and layout* but absolutely delicious anf handy for Cristmas presents by the time it has matured.

sadly so a bit late--but freezer now has about 12lb sliced eating apples in it for later useage. Better still though the Bramleys came out well, 10 lb off a young tree, superb flavour  ;D and spare ones are now sitting quietly (mice permitting) in our lovely cellar--which is very appropriate as current abode used to be a cider house  ;D ;D (1863 vintage )