Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134503 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2019
« Reply #525 on: 09 September, 2018, 12:09:03 pm »
Down to the last 50 places for 2019...so if you're thinking of entering, please do so asap to avoid disappointment - and if you know anyone else who is thinking of entering please tell them likewise. We expect to close entries within a couple of weeks.

If you have entered I have just processed the first (large) batch of entries and your payments will be presented this week. 

Thank you all again for your enthusiastic and overwhelming support for the event.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #526 on: 09 September, 2018, 12:21:46 pm »
My cheque has been cashed a few weeks ago... still no sign of entry appearing in my AUK page, but I safely assume I am in...  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #527 on: 09 September, 2018, 09:08:19 pm »
I thought I was being insanely over cautious sending off the form last week

But apparently, a lot of people had the same idea!

« Reply #528 on: 09 September, 2018, 09:19:15 pm »
My cheque has been cashed a few weeks ago... still no sign of entry appearing in my AUK page, but I safely assume I am in...  ;D

In the past the organiser has handled entries outside the AUK system, so your AUK page won't know anything about it.

« Reply #529 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:41:50 pm »
Received this:
"The first batch of entries for BCM 2019 has just been processed and this email is therefore confirmation that we have received an entry from you and you have a place on the event on 18 May 2019. . . . For information, there are only about 30 places left."

« Reply #530 on: 14 September, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »
Posted off my entry on Monday, no email yet. Fingers crossed!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #531 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:04:54 pm »
I note that the event page doesn't list the Max Riders Num; so he might be setting it at 51 ... ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #532 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:19:29 pm »
I note that the event page doesn't list the Max Riders Num; so he might be setting it at 51 ... ;)

I think it's around 200, but I also thing the DNS rate is actually quite high. 130 validations or so last May and the weather was as perfect as one could hope for

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #533 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:22:44 pm »
I note the event page now lists the entries as closed. I sent my application off a few weeks ago but the cheque has not been cashed.

Would I have been told if me entry arrived too late and the event was full?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #534 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
I got an email telling me I was in. Other options in the calender.
I note the event page now lists the entries as closed. I sent my application off a few weeks ago but the cheque has not been cashed.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #535 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »
I got an email telling me I was in. Other options in the calender.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Thanks BB I am aware of other options includong an intetesting one from Bristol that would allow me to sleep in my own bed.
I just want to know one way or the other if I am in. I know others received an email when the first lot of entries were accepted, at that time places were still available.

The organisers have informed me the last batch of cheques have been banked, so anyone who has applied should get confirmation once the cheques have cleared.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #536 on: 26 October, 2018, 03:11:52 pm »
email arrived earlier today

Hi everyone

We have now processed all the entries for BCM 2019 and the event is closed to further entries.  This email is therefore confirmation that we have received an entry from you and you are on the start list for 18 May 2019.

We will circulate detailed information about the event nearer the time.  There is only one planned change to last year’s route on the return between Talgarth and Usk which will divert off to the back road to LLanfoist and then through Chainbridge.

To avoid ambiguity, can I reiterate that your entry is personal to you and is not transferable.  Similarly, the entry fee is not refundable.

One other point has become a recurring issue in recent years is that, if you ride the event with someone who has not entered, AUK regs say you cannot get your brevet validated.  We always have people who think they can just tag along with their club mates but, if you are relying on BCM as a qualifying ride for PBP, take care with this.

« Reply #537 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:35:34 am »
Better be quick to grab your 600s for next year, got an email last night that Wander Wye was just about full and would close soon...

« Reply #538 on: 21 January, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
18 May 2019
RT: "We will circulate detailed information about the event nearer the time.  There is only one planned change to last year’s route on the return between Talgarth and Usk which will divert off to the back road to LLanfoist and then through Chainbridge."
I've had a go at the revised route "between Talgarth and Usk [via] . . . Llanfoist  . . . Chainbridge". https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
It is marginally shorter than going through Abergavenny. I used this route - the revised section from the A40 at Crickhowell to the B4598 heading south to Usk - for the last (dawn) 50km of the 2016 Brevet Cymru. Good quiet roads, significantly so on a May Sunday afternoon when compared with the main roads the BCM routesheet previously guided us down and avoids the major treble roundabout where the (dualled) A40, the dualled A465, and the A4042 sort themselves out (with a B4598 option!).
There is a McDonalds in Llanfoist a few hundred yards off the route.
Talgarth, (A479/A40) Crickhowell, (A4077) Gilwern, (B4246) Govilon, Llanfoist, (B4269) Llanellen, Llanfair Cilgedin, (B4598) Usk.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #539 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:27:45 am »
18 May 2019
RT: "We will circulate detailed information about the event nearer the time.  There is only one planned change to last year’s route on the return between Talgarth and Usk which will divert off to the back road to LLanfoist and then through Chainbridge."
I've had a go at the revised route "between Talgarth and Usk [via] . . . Llanfoist  . . . Chainbridge". https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
It is marginally shorter than going through Abergavenny. I used this route - the revised section from the A40 at Crickhowell to the B4598 heading south to Usk - for the last (dawn) 50km of the 2016 Brevet Cymru. Good quiet roads, significantly so on a May Sunday afternoon when compared with the main roads the BCM routesheet previously guided us down and avoids the major treble roundabout where the (dualled) A40, the dualled A465, and the A4042 sort themselves out (with a B4598 option!).
There is a McDonalds in Llanfoist a few hundred yards off the route.
Talgarth, (A479/A40) Crickhowell, (A4077) Gilwern, (B4246) Govilon, Llanfoist, (B4269) Llanellen, Llanfair Cilgedin, (B4598) Usk.

Thanks for this
From your route I notice the Bwlch-Y-Sarnau detour is gone? I followed it last year, but regretted it... the main road from Newtown in the morning was fine and the detour only kicks in once you get on top of the climb anyway

whosatthewheel

« Reply #540 on: 22 January, 2019, 12:18:31 pm »
On the subject, anyone has first hand experience of the Old Pengenffordd road south of Talgarth? That would get rid of the nasty A 479 on the way south. I've looked at it on streetview and it appears to be a rather narrow lane with decent enough surface.

It's probably a bit steeper, but it doesn't look like a wall... any comment?

« Reply #541 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:36:08 pm »
It's a better choice than the main road. Surface is good enough, weeny bit steeper, but you'll get up it fine.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #542 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:43:21 pm »
It's a better choice than the main road. Surface is good enough, weeny bit steeper, but you'll get up it fine.

That's what I thought, thanks

I love streetview... best thing ever  :thumbsup:

« Reply #543 on: 22 January, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
On the subject, anyone has first hand experience of the Old Pengenffordd road south of Talgarth? That would get rid of the nasty A 479 on the way south.
I shall be taking that lane, based on plain @Flatus' recommendation a year (or 2?) back.
I shall also take the minor road climb out of Dolgellau town rather than grinding up the trunk A road (albeit after dawn). "It's a better choice than the main road. Surface is good enough, weeny bit steeper, but I'll get up it fine."
I don't know whether the Bwlch-Y-Sarnau detour will be included in the routesheet. Anyone reading this thread 8 months ago will have had to read your unclouded comments on it. Looked lovely on the map to me. I also seemed to recall a lot of chat from you (before the ride) about going over Gospel Pass to make the ride longer and more audacious - any plans?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #544 on: 22 January, 2019, 03:03:21 pm »
Anyone reading this thread 8 months ago will have had to read your unclouded comments on it. Looked lovely on the map to me. I also seemed to recall a lot of chat from you (before the ride) about going over Gospel Pass to make the ride longer and more audacious - any plans?

It did look lovely on paper, but it wasn't that great to be honest. Poor tarmac in places and a lot of up and down and none of the amazing views I was hoping for

Taking a detour up the Gospel Pass is still very much an option and I will route a detour, but it's very much down to how I feel on the day. Last year it got quite hot at the point where the road forks (I think it was 26-27 degrees) and I just wanted to finish... with fresher weather I might feel different about it... or not  ::-)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #545 on: 23 January, 2019, 01:47:03 pm »
following everyone's advice, I have mapped this as the return leg

https://www.strava.com/routes/16879225

« Reply #546 on: 23 January, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »
following everyone's advice, I have mapped this as the return leg

https://www.strava.com/routes/16879225

Yep. That is the route I always take riding back from Dolgellau.

« Reply #547 on: 26 January, 2019, 08:04:18 pm »
Talgarth-Llangors-Bwlch-Llangynidr-Gilwern is another option to minimise distance on A roads

« Reply #548 on: 26 January, 2019, 11:47:50 pm »
Talgarth-Llangors-Bwlch-Llangynidr-Gilwern is another option to minimise distance on A roads
Talgarth to Llanfoist
29.5k + 272m on A379 and A40 and right at the hospital
32.6k + 265m going via Llangorse to Bwlch and then A40 and right at the hospital - @Laid Back Rich's Wander Wye 600 took this line.
33.2k + 311m going via Llangorse and Bwlch to Llangynidr, then B4558 and staying on A4077 through Gilwern - @Black Sheep's Brevet Cymru followed the B4558 through Llangynidr to the last control at Llangattock.
An info control (though I think RT doesn't like those) in Llangydnir would do it and as a bonus bring the overall distance up to a nice round figure.
That choice also avoids retracing the main roads taken on the quiet of Saturday morning in the different conditions of a mid/late Sunday afternoon.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #549 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:27:24 am »

That is one clever option... basically you get rid of a climb at the cost of only 4 extra km...  :thumbsup: