Author Topic: Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!)  (Read 412405 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!)
« Reply #350 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:58:09 am »
Not as lovely as Dentdale, but here is a snap (sorry, it's from my phone as the rest of the group were disappearing and I didn't know the route :-[ )

This is the Dartford Bridge, but with a new bridge they've built especially for Jurek (OK, and buses - it has barriers both ends) underneath, which we'd just ridden over.  I think Tim Hall got a better shot contre-jour.

Getting there...

PH

« Reply #351 on: 02 October, 2011, 11:16:40 pm »
Trent foot/cycle bridge in Nottingham, think we've had it before, though it looks better in the dark, like the rest of Nottingham ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #352 on: 03 October, 2011, 12:20:20 am »
There are lots of lovely photos in this thread, but Billplumtree's just make me go "ooh, ooh, ooh" with delight.
 :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #353 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:58:09 am »
Ditto. Thanks (to all).

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #354 on: 03 October, 2011, 10:14:32 am »
I went on a bridge hunt yesterday. I blame this thread for the injuries sustained whilst beating my way through 6foot high nettles, mud, clambering over barbed wire fences, down ditches where bridges should have been, through fern covered gorges and over fallen trees covered with moss. I did however find the bridges and will only do that walk again in winter or spring or when armed with a machete.

Feeling somewhat nettle sore today. Pictures to follow when I have edited them down. One of the bridges is 'BRB DDN 31' and I don't have a number for the other one (presumably becasue it carries a private track rather than a public road).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #356 on: 05 October, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
Here's some within 500 metres to 5km of home

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67610004@N03/sets/72157627823480824/

« Reply #357 on: 09 October, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »
Couple of Danube bridges in Austria:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #358 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:33:01 pm »
Well, I haven't ridden across Europe to take this, but I hope it's OK.  The bridge at Henley, not at its best.

Getting there...

« Reply #359 on: 09 October, 2011, 08:19:05 pm »
Newcastle

Berwick

More Berwick

More Berwick

« Reply #360 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:54:31 am »
Were you on a boat on the Tyne, Aidan?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #361 on: 10 October, 2011, 12:33:38 pm »
One from my nuncio's sister. Dee Bridge, in the Galloway Hills. 1790.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #362 on: 10 October, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »
cor blimey, that's a belter :)

i am looking forward to next summer, when i fully intend to take a week or two in the holidays to go and make the acquaintance of some of these fine constructions (although admittedly not the further-flung ones) in person. 

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #363 on: 10 October, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »
Tom Otter's Bridge, at Drinsey Nook, which carries the A57 between Sheffield and Lincoln. The left hand end is in Nottinghamshire, the right hand end in Lincolnshire. The bridge itself isn't much, but see below for the fascinating tale of Tom Otter.

1805 - the pregnant Mary Kirkman named Tom Otter as the father of her unborn child, and he was forced to marry her. On their wedding night, be beat her to death with a fence post.

1806 - Tom Otter is found guilty and sentenced to death, and the judge, thinking 'hanging's too good for him', orders his body, after execution at Lincoln, to be enclosed in chains and hung from a gibbet post at the scene of the murder (close to the bridge).   This duly happens. A large crowd is present at the erection of the gibbet post, and one man is killed when the body, enclosed in irons, falls from the gibbet.

1811 - A Featherpoke (long-tailed tit) is reported to have built its nest under his jawbone, and returned the following year.

1850 - the gibbet post is blown down in a gale

Those are the bare facts. The gibbet post was a local landmark for 45 years, with the chains clanking in the wind, but remained part of local folklore for many years afterwards, and appeared in children's rhymes until 1900, and is also mentioned in a syndicated thriller in 1874. On the current OS maps, within a square mile are Tom Otter's Lane, Gibbet Wood, Gibbet Wood Farm, and Gibbet Lane Cottages.

It is also reported that the fence post used in the murder was attached to the wall in the Sun Inn, Saxilby, where Mary Kirkman's body was taken. On the anniversary of the murder, the post would disappear from the wall and would be found at the scene of the murder. This continued when it was placed on the wall of a different pub. In the end the Bishop of Lincoln ordered that it should be taken down and burnt in the yard of Lincoln Cathedral.

The blood which had dripped from the body stained the steps of the Sun Inn, and no amount of scrubbing could remove the stains. [OT Non-bridge photo, but taken from the bank of a canal and within sight of at least 2 bridges]

More here

« Reply #364 on: 10 October, 2011, 07:40:44 pm »

1806 - Tom Otter is found guilty and sentenced to death, and the judge, thinking 'hanging's too good for him', orders his body, after execution at Lincoln, to be enclosed in chains and hung from a gibbet post at the scene of the murder (close to the bridge).

Presumably, the judge took into account his profession when he decided that hanging was too good for him: he was a banker.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #365 on: 10 October, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »

1806 - Tom Otter is found guilty and sentenced to death, and the judge, thinking 'hanging's too good for him', orders his body, after execution at Lincoln, to be enclosed in chains and hung from a gibbet post at the scene of the murder (close to the bridge).

Presumably, the judge took into account his profession when he decided that hanging was too good for him: he was a banker.

A 'banker' who was employed maintaining the banks of the Fossdyke Canal and the Swanpool in Lincoln. The word used in The Times was 'ditcher'.

« Reply #366 on: 10 October, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »
Were you on a boat on the Tyne, Aidan?

No, I was on a bike ;D  There's actually a bend in the river and as I cycled past I saw  that shot and had to take it. Must say I was very please with it  :thumbsup:

There are 7 bridges in that picture!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #368 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:43:01 pm »
Kirchenfeldbrücke over the River Aar in Bern, Switzerland, with the river still high after the 2005 floods (compare with Google Street View — there's a metre or so difference in the water level).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #369 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »
Taken in Paris a few weekends ago:

Paris by night by lyope, on Flickr
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #370 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »
Carrbridge:

IMG_5141 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #371 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:38:59 pm »
Aviemore:

IMG_5144 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #372 on: 15 October, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »
Liberty Bridge, Budapest. My favourite of the Budapest Bridges (a close-run thing with the Chain Bridge).

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #373 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »
This has to be one of the most impressive bridges I have crossed.. It has just the right amount of disconcerting swing and you can only just see to the bottom of the gorge.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr
And the nearly full height view of the gorge..

And the bridge most in need of a resident troll..

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LindaG

« Reply #374 on: 16 October, 2011, 02:57:40 pm »
A few more Northeastern bridges for Crinkly.

From Newcastle, yesterday.

Wark and Bellingham