Author Topic: Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!)  (Read 412390 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!)
« Reply #400 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »
Footbridge, Stirling railway station:

Aqueduct & railway bridge over the Water of Leith, Slateford:

No caption necessary:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #401 on: 07 November, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »
My favourite type of bridge:

No, it's not pretty, but it is over the M25 escaping from London.

Here's another odd one (mind your head!):

I think that's in East Horsley.

So's this:

Probably looks better with the pond full and water running through.
Getting there...

« Reply #402 on: 10 November, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »
Not quıte as charmıng as those above.

bridge over the Danube in Austria by dean.clementson, on Flickr

bridge over the Inn, Passau by dean.clementson, on Flickr

« Reply #403 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:52:39 pm »
This one, however, was rather more endearing.

footbridge near Stravilovo, Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #404 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »
Do tell us that you did.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #405 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »
On foot - of course!

En velo - I wasn't so keen.

« Reply #406 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:05:30 pm »
More from Serbia.  First, part of the Danube cycleway. Sustrans eat your heart out.

the Danube cycleway in Serbıa by dean.clementson, on Flickr

Second, a multi-purpose bridge. I heard the train whistle just as I was taking thıs pic...

Serbian rail-road-cycle-footbridge by dean.clementson, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #407 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »
On foot - of course!

En velo - I wasn't so keen.
Chicken !

Naa a wise man :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #409 on: 10 November, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »
*little moment*

:-*

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #410 on: 10 November, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »
I've walked over that bridge!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #411 on: 10 November, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
You're not allowed to cycle over the Chain Bridge, for some reason (unless they've changed the rules since I was there) which means people ride on the pavement there instead. It's none too wide for that, really.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #412 on: 10 November, 2011, 05:01:34 pm »
Second, a multi-purpose bridge. I heard the train whistle just as I was taking thıs pic...

Serbian rail-road-cycle-footbridge by dean.clementson, on Flickr
Um, are you sure you were meant to be cycling on the rail section and not on the part visible to the left and slightly below? And which way was the train going?  :o

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #413 on: 13 November, 2011, 08:23:33 pm »
Bridge of Don:

IMG_5199 by The Pingus, on Flickr

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #414 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:31:42 pm »
Carlisle station bridge
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #415 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
Is that the bridge that got a 'facelift' for the B&Q TV advert?

« Reply #416 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
You're not allowed to cycle over the Chain Bridge, for some reason (unless they've changed the rules since I was there) which means people ride on the pavement there instead. It's none too wide for that, really.

Yep, it's a shared path for peds & cyclists &, as you say, rather narrow. Especially for recumbent riders at the bridge stancion (?) bits where there are a number of sharp corners to negotiate. It was the same on the other bridges too. I used the Ezsebet Bridge more often and that was straighter & wider.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #417 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:21:13 am »
A  swing bridge on the Basingstoke Canal

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #418 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

Yep, it's a shared path for peds & cyclists &, as you say, rather narrow. Especially for recumbent riders at the bridge stancion (?) bits where there are a number of sharp corners to negotiate. It was the same on the other bridges too. I used the Ezsebet Bridge more often and that was straighter & wider.
As you've lived in Budapest, do you know the reason cycling is not allowed on those bridges?

I don't remember seeing any cyclepath signs on the pavement, but probably I just didn't notice them. I do remember that on one of those corners Mrs Cudzo got a handlebar in the belly- she was pregnant at the time, a large target!!! No harm done though.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #419 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:16:32 pm »
Is that the bridge that got a 'facelift' for the B&Q TV advert?

Yep (although it was Hombase not B&Q I think).

Unfortunately they put the station back exactly as it was after filming, the sofas, carpets and painted murals would have brightened the station up no end.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #420 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »
As you've lived in Budapest, do you know the reason cycling is not allowed on those bridges?
I don't remember seeing any cyclepath signs on the pavement, but probably I just didn't notice them. I do remember that on one of those corners Mrs Cudzo got a handlebar in the belly- she was pregnant at the time, a large target!!! No harm done though.
They are old bridges - well rebuilt after WW2, but unchanged in layout. The road sections are very narrow and have tram lines laid into the road surfaces. Given the Hungarian disdain for safety, I really wouldn't want to be on the same section of narrow road as cars and trams. The Chain Bridge foot/cyclepaths are not fit for purpose though, I'll agree, especially in tourist season. They could have one side for peds & the other for bikes, I suppose...

A little known fact: The Marlow Thames Bridge was a warm up for the Danube version...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #421 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:27:58 pm »
It was February when we there, so hardly tourist season!

Still, I used to live almost next to a pontoon bridge in the middle of Warsaw, built after WWII, which had no pedestrian access whatsoever. I can't remember if you were allowed to cycle over it, it never looked appealing to me. It was finally replaced with a proper bridge, complete with pavement and strong enough for buses, in 2001.

fuzzy

« Reply #422 on: 14 November, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »

They are old bridges - well rebuilt after WW2, but unchanged in layout. The road sections are very narrow and have tram lines laid into the road surfaces. Given the Hungarian disdain for safety, I really wouldn't want to be on the same section of narrow road as cars and trams. The Chain Bridge foot/cyclepaths are not fit for purpose though, I'll agree, especially in tourist season. They could have one side for peds & the other for bikes, I suppose...

A little known fact: The Marlow Thames Bridge was a warm up for the Danube version...

What- this one?

The John Tierney Clarke (sp) bridge over the Thames at Marlow

In all its glory.

« Reply #423 on: 14 November, 2011, 04:58:00 pm »
A bridge odyssey.  I saw this sıgn first. How could I not?

natural stone bridge in Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

It led (eventually, after some very vague ınstructions from the Serbian locals, but thıs was understandable as I could only ask for the Must, whıch is Serbian for bridge), to a beautiful lımestone dene which reminded me forcefully of the path to Summerhill Force or one of the other side valleys off Teesdale.

A prelımınary bridge:

Serbian footbridge by dean.clementson, on Flickr

limestone valley by dean.clementson, on Flickr

There were stepping stones up to the natural bridge, but since they had slipping-and-falling-off written all over them, I paddled through ınstead.

stepping stones to the natural stone bridge in Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

The bridge itself was more of a cave; I went so far ın and couldn't see the other side.

natural stone bridge ın Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

Regardless, ıt was a lovely detour.  When I was walkıng out, the local kıds were floatıng tealıghts down the river - presumably an Eastern European varıatin of Flaming Pooh Sticks, and one of the parents told me I was the first tourist ever to visit it.  It's a must-see.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #424 on: 14 November, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »
 :-*

Multi-pointed shiny thing award to our turkish correspondent! 

(You are still in Turkey aren't you?  I get confused easily by this geography stuff...)