Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391286 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1475 on: 16 March, 2023, 02:30:20 pm »
Thank you all  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1476 on: 29 March, 2023, 04:05:38 pm »
I'm planning to ride the Wiltshire cycleway which is about 250km. I don't want to increase it to 300km, but I would like to bag 2 points at the same time. I'm presuming with BR DIY rules, I'm fine to do this AND I get the extra time to finish the extra 50km. Or is there a limit on over distance?

Next year ... you'll be able to ride it as a 250 and get 2.5 points.  [now I'm looking for a suitable emoji for hiding behind the sofa ]
Don't particularly have an issue with that, if the points started coming at 200km. I rode 48km this morning going for a haircut. Should have went round the block a couple of times for feelings of audaciousness.

« Reply #1477 on: 11 May, 2023, 12:01:03 pm »
Is there a way to request a Brevet isn't returned?
I have no interest in collecting them and although it's no big deal to bin them when they arrive, it just seems like a waste of someone's time and effort, plus stamp and envelope.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1478 on: 12 May, 2023, 06:41:01 am »
Easy; just tell the organiser. Or write on the brevet "please don't return as it'll only get recycled".

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1479 on: 06 June, 2023, 01:20:21 pm »
Is there a definitive answer on whether intermediate control closing times matter? Including in an “extra strict” PBP year?

The regulations don’t actually say, which I might take to mean they don’t?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1480 on: 06 June, 2023, 02:10:14 pm »
Are we going around this loop yet again?

From https://www.audax.uk/media/1806/auk_regulations_050418.pdf
9.8.3 The controls have predetermined opening and closing times.

If there are no opening or closing times for a control, the rider doesn't need to be at the control while it is open. If there are opening and closing times, that is when the rider needs to control.

The ACP spells it out in https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/en/our-organizations/brm-world/#rules
Riders must arrive at each checkpoint between the start and the finish while the checkpoint is open.

Historically, BRM rules were created when Henri Desgrange stopped Audax Club Parisien in 1921 from using the audax rules written by Desgrange in 1904. Audax required riders to cover the specified route to a schedule, arriving and departing each control at specified times. BRM rules were a relaxed version, allowing riders to ride within a range of average speeds, rather than a single specific schedule for everybody. Every rider passing through each control within a specific period is the continuation of that approach.

Audax/ randonneuring is not merely riding a specific distance within a specific maximum time. You could ride hundreds of laps around a velodrome within a time limit but that isn't riding an audax.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1481 on: 06 June, 2023, 03:42:51 pm »
I think my question is how strictly the rules are enforced, which on reflection isn’t a question people will answer in writing in public.

Never mind.

« Reply #1482 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:42:14 am »
I wondered the same, while riding The Buzzard as a perm last year. Had a bit of a time-trialling effort to reach the Wells control in time, after sleeping at Taunton. I should have asked the organiser afterwards, as it might have made the rest of the ride easier.
It was validated by GPS - would the algorithm have bothered about control timings?

« Reply #1483 on: 07 June, 2023, 03:09:21 pm »
I would always keep going and hope I'll get away with it, rather than making any assumptions one way or another.

« Reply #1484 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:08:17 am »
If I start entering BRM under my married name, how will the ACP know I'm the same person (for the purposes of e.g. Randonneur 5000)? Do I need to tell them beforehand, or just when applying for a medal?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1485 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:58:00 am »
When applying for the award, normally.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1486 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:23:20 pm »
I wondered the same, while riding The Buzzard as a perm last year. Had a bit of a time-trialling effort to reach the Wells control in time, after sleeping at Taunton. I should have asked the organiser afterwards, as it might have made the rest of the ride easier.
It was validated by GPS - would the algorithm have bothered about control timings?
the e-brevet app flags up controls reached outside the time window, and then the organiser will likely validate anyway. because the general approach in AUK is validate if you can, and not disqualify if you can.
 I doubt the GPS algorithm would have a different outcome. I doubt it even flags up. I did a DIY 400 during august 2020 where I slept at home. I'm certain I would have been out of time for a large chunk, as I barely made it back in 27 hours. (26:59:29, stressed as I didn't know the time limit was 28 hours for BR events) but at 330km I was definitely 30 minutes outside 14.3km pace.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1487 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:25:28 pm »
If I start entering BRM under my married name, how will the ACP know I'm the same person (for the purposes of e.g. Randonneur 5000)? Do I need to tell them beforehand, or just when applying for a medal?
when you apply for the award you will fill in the BRM numbers, might be worth including proof of name change.

getting married (and changing your audax UK name) halfway through an SR series in a PBP year would seem like a risky proposition though.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1488 on: 14 June, 2023, 10:18:32 pm »
Recently rejoined Audax UK after several years. Stupidly, I did not remember to update my postal address so they've sent the welcome pack to the wrong house. Is there anything in there I really need?
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #1489 on: 17 June, 2023, 08:45:34 pm »
Phil,
There is a welcome letter (but these days you'll have received an almost identical email), the latest copy of Arrivee, and some mudguard stickers. If you PM me your membership number I can send you what you've missed, but please let me know exactly when you signed up and whether you have, by now, already updated your address.
Peter
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #1490 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:42:50 pm »
Wasn't sure where to put this and search didn't return anything useful.

Anyone ridden Madrid Gijon Madrid and have and reports? Anyone got the route handy? When's the next calendar version likely to be?

Ta muchly

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1491 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:46:35 pm »
HK did MGM during her 4 x LRM year many moons ago, the 2nd edition? No doubt the details have changed too much to be useful to you.
https://judithswallow.wordpress.com/blog/chasing-a-bright-red-patch-with-the-world-on-it/

« Reply #1492 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:15:52 am »
HK did MGM

Of course she did! :D

Cheers, I'll have a read. Looks like it last ran in 2022 so I expect the next won't be for a while now.
Was thinking that if I'm over for another event next year I might extend my stay and do the route as a DIY, possibly in reverse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1493 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:26:50 am »
HK mentioned that there wasn't much in the way of services in the middle of the country, hence the organisers providing some roving support there. The event was unsupported nearer the coasts. Something to keep in mind if you are riding the route as a permanent.

I think MGM might have adjusted its date last time because of C19 lockdowns, so it might not have been on a regular quadrennial cycle then.

« Reply #1494 on: 16 December, 2023, 09:58:48 am »
HK did MGM

Of course she did! :D

Cheers, I'll have a read. Looks like it last ran in 2022 so I expect the next won't be for a while now.
Was thinking that if I'm over for another event next year I might extend my stay and do the route as a DIY, possibly in reverse.

I have not ridden Madrid-Gijon-Madrid but know a few local randonneurs that have. They don't recommend it... something about the organisers. MGM generally has a bad reputation and participant numbers have gone down in the last few editions as well. There are other SB in Spain that perhaps are not as famous but have more randonneurs taking part.
I'm not aware of official SB for 2024 in Spain, however there will be an unofficial SB next year... Seville-Lisbon-Seville. It will not be an official SB because the Portuguese LRM representative will not approve any brevet originating in Spain and crossing over Portugal.
https://www.randonneursandalucia.es/ultracycling-sevilla-lisboa-sevilla/
1200km and a more relaxed 110h max time.  I imagine that there will be minimal support at controls.

« Reply #1495 on: 18 December, 2023, 11:10:29 am »
Excellent username @perdido :)

Thanks for the info. I may do something like ride MGM as a DIY one day although I do prefer doing organised 'events'. Will keep an eye on it I guess.

Seville-Lisbon-Seville looks interesting. Friends of mine were just in Seville and it looks very pretty (more so than when I rode through it at 5am during a Transiberica race!)
We will already be in Spain earlier in June for El Piri (https://www.lesperitdelbikepacking.org/el-piri-route) but I don't know if logistics/fatigue/holiday allowance will allow them both.

« Reply #1496 on: 20 January, 2024, 08:13:46 pm »
Does "keep me logged in" actually work for anyone on www.audax.uk?

« Reply #1497 on: 20 January, 2024, 08:45:18 pm »
Nope, never has.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1498 on: 10 March, 2024, 05:18:21 pm »
Is there any way of "deep linking" to Search results on the calendar page?
Use Case:
Posting a single URL on a local club page/group, clicking on whic produces all events upto 300km within 50 miles distance (over the next 4 months).

The obvious way failed  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles