Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95909 times)

Samuel D

Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #100 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:28:11 pm »
Todays winner, nearly takes out someone else when he zigzags around.

Nacer Bouhanni.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #101 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »
Cav broken shoulder .... :(
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #102 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:45:40 pm »
https://u.nya.is/jdkpym.mp4

Video of first crash that Sagan was near. To me it looks like someone drifted over into him but he stayed up as he is stronger and better at handling his bike.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #103 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
The slowmo and the overhead shot actually make it look really clear and damning. I take back what I said before. In the overhead shot Sagan's elbow looks to make contact with Cav's jaw and it is a really deliberate shove, if not a blow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #104 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »
Check tweet from Roger Hammond (5.29pm) from this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/07/04/tour-de-france-2017-stage-four-live-race-updates-mark-cavendish/

Clearly shows that Sagan had no need whatsoever to be where he was as there was oceans of space top his left.  Almost looks like he was deliberately barging Cav.  Lots of former pros with not very complimentary words for Sagan and Greipel says Sagan is no longer his friend and he was in a very good position to witness what happened as he looked across realising he was out of contention for the win.

Can't see much sympathy for Sagan within the peleton, although no doubt they will not give true feeling on TV.

Also, if rumours are true that Cav is out, and even his team were speaking in those terms during interviews, then pretty damming for 'Wonder Boy' who has clearly got too big for his boots.  And taking out a rider like that who was possibly able to become the winner of most stages in the TdF is something fellow pros will not support.  Accidents are one thing, Sagan's actions are another.

I wonder how folk in UK would react if he visited there shores on a bike?

« Reply #105 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »
The slowmo and the overhead shot actually make it look really clear and damning. I take back what I said before. In the overhead shot Sagan's elbow looks to make contact with Cav's jaw and it is a really deliberate shove, if not a blow.

Deliberate violent action that could be considered as GBH considering the speed they were travelling and the knowledge that such action would undoubtedly result in bodily harm.

Totally different to the circumstances of the Renshaw head butt.

No doubt Sagan is having quite a lot of reflecting right now.

TdeF 2017
« Reply #106 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:05:21 pm »
I've seen the evident and he definitely need to be DQ'd. Outrageous behaviour.

« Reply #107 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:13:18 pm »
He wasn't trying to fling him into the barriers, he was trying to impede him. End result was flinging him into the barriers. Correct decision, nevertheless.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #108 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:14:40 pm »
Cavendish was an idiot to expect Sagan to just move over and give him enough room to get past along the barriers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #109 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:17:59 pm »
I have just seen a flash on "Les Rois de la Pédale" that Sagan has been chucked out of the Tour ("exclu", which means the same thing). The commentators don't seem to have taken note yet (and now Mme Stone wants to watch snooker so that's all I will know).

20H19 It's on Euronews now as well so must be authentic.

« Reply #110 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »
https://u.nya.is/jdkpym.mp4

Video of first crash that Sagan was near. To me it looks like someone drifted over into him but he stayed up as he is stronger and better at handling his bike.

Incident at around 11s and Sagan appears to be going through 2 riders. Six of one and half a dozen of others? Or going for a gap that wasn't there?

Stage winner was almost taken out in that incident.

« Reply #111 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:25:38 pm »
Cavendish was an idiot to expect Sagan to just move over and give him enough room to get past along the barriers.

perhaps he was not expecting to be barged into the barrier and elbowed by a rider that was not actually on the sprint line as clearly shown by the Roger Hammond tweet in this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/07/04/tour-de-france-2017-stage-four-live-race-updates-mark-cavendish/

I think the evidence is fairly conclusive and the correct decision was made.

« Reply #112 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:29:21 pm »
He wasn't trying to fling him into the barriers, he was trying to impede him. End result was flinging him into the barriers. Correct decision, nevertheless.

Correct decision indeed and he deliberately impeded him so close to the barrier that it constituted seriously endangering another rider.  All rather silly, unnecessary and totally unprofessional.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #113 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »
Perhaps they should put a lot of parallel lines down the finish straight and DQ everybody who crosses a line? Going from behind for a gap that doesn't exist is always going to put you into the barriers.

« Reply #114 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »
Perhaps they should put a lot of parallel lines down the finish straight and DQ everybody who crosses a line? Going from behind for a gap that doesn't exist is always going to put you into the barriers.

Might I suggest you contact those who made the decision to DQ Sagan as I think they disagree with your initial logic as Cav was simply following AD's wheel when Sagan barged and elbowed him so he could have the wheel of AD.  As much as I respect your knowledge and enjoy the company on a ride, I'm afraid we will have to beg to differ on this one and it would appear those making the decision to DQ also beg to differ.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #115 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:45:59 pm »
Such is life. After all, the commissaires have never been known to make the wrong decision.

In Sagan's position, I'd have done the same thing. Coming up the barriers is never risk-free.

« Reply #116 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:49:18 pm »
On 5Live they're saying it's a harsh decision, Sagan was probably trying to 'balance' himself against the 'feel' of the rider to his side (Cav).  Also did the elbow even make contact...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #117 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
Cav did nothing wrong. Just seen it again. Following Demare line was entirely correct.

Samuel D

« Reply #118 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »
I think a few things happened here, starting with Cavendish running into Sagan and lunging at him to make room where there was never going to be much room. Sagan could have obligingly moved over to let him past, but why should he? It’s a race. Then Sagan’s elbow gets hooked over Cavendish’s bars. By this point, Cavendish is falling into the barriers, dragging Sagan’s elbow out (making it look like Sagan is elbowing him).

Meanwhile, Démare swerves in front of Bouhanni, impeding the latter. Not much comment about that, I notice.

« Reply #119 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »
Meanwhile, Démare swerves in front of Bouhanni, impeding the latter. Not much comment about that, I notice.

You're Chris Boardman and I claim my £5. Cavendish looks distraught :(

Samuel D

« Reply #120 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:59:58 pm »
What did Boardman say? I only get French commentary over here.

Samuel D

« Reply #121 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »

« Reply #122 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »

That's big elbow!  Right decision IMO.
Move Faster and Bake Things

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #123 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:05:25 pm »
Cav's clearly on Demare's wheel, Sagan's move would be legitimate if he had left Cav a space to go. He didn't, his move was the dangerous one. Demare was very lucky to get away with that switch through the pack as well.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chris S

« Reply #124 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
Well, that's a shame. It's less of a spectacle than it was, without those two in it.