Author Topic: Cheap bottle cage storage...  (Read 6426 times)

Cheap bottle cage storage...
« on: 27 April, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »
... well, not that a proper storage bottle costs an arm and a leg, but still: saw someone today using a sawn-off bidon for storage, he or she had a pair of gloves and maybe a buff and a few bits stuffed in there, in the seat-tube cage. No lid, sure, but a lot of the time you don't need one.

A good use for those bottles that refuse to hold liquid anymore.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Cheap bottle cage storage...
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:07:34 pm »
No lid?  I would be worried about stuff falling out when I'm doing <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vx_XCH8qGdA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Vx_XCH8qGdA&rel=1</a> down the high road, as I do on a daily basis, of course.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:22:59 pm »
That young man doesn't appear to have a Carradice Barley or mudguards on his bicycle never mind a bottle cage for his travels. Disgraceful.

Sawn off bottle works ok as long as you have something to stuff in to make it all stay put, like a buff or arm warmers or summat.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:29:33 pm »
They have been around for a while, http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b228s53p4957&tbv=PRO_Storage_bottle_750_cc_ and I'm sure I have seen a DIY guide somewhere too.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:53:41 pm »
I used a cut-up bidon to house the NiMH battery pack from a Smart headlamp for a couple of years. I stuffed a tube and some levers in the bottom first.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
I liked this idea so much I used it - and developed it.

It is possible to make a 'lid' out of a second plastic bottle of different diameter. I found that the white plastic bottles of table salt are just the right size to slide into the cut bidon. This way you can have an inner cylinder and an outer one and when they're slid into each other you have a water tight pod.
I've documented the molishing procedure here:
http://cyclingfortransport.com/bike/accessories/luggage/bottle-cage-storage-pod/

The pod can either go in a cage or in a saddlebag, etc.

It's very practical. Want to keep your valuables together somewhere waterproof? Use the pod.

« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2013, 12:56:07 pm »
Or alternatively......
Take a  2x PRO storage bottles.
Cut the threaded neck + 15mm of the body from the first.
Cut the base from the second bottle.
Where they meet, abrade the outer on the larger part, and the inner on the short section.
Give each abraded area a generous coat of polyolefin primer (necessary on account of HDPE being very reluctant to hold an adhesive)
Fit the two parts together.
Apply very thin cyanoacrylate to the join, this'll find its way, capillary fashion, round the circumference of the bottle, and bond the two together.
Gives you a double entry  :o bottle, with a slightly larger capacity than a standard one. Capable of holding all that is pictured below. Accessible from either end - which means you don't have tip everything out just to find one thing which is inevitably at the bottom.
With this arrangement There Is No Bottom.
Bingo!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »
I bow to your awesome molishing skills, Jurek  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »
I fangyouw.
It's extraordinary what can be accomplished with some string, a few old bus tickets and some horsesh!t to bond them together  :D
Thinking about it..... you could make a really long one.
One that'll accommodate err.... really long things.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »
I just cut through the top of an old bidon but left a few centimetres uncut.  That forms a rudimentary hinge.  I put my repair stuff inside and sealed it with a length of gaffer tape.

Not pretty but it did a job.  It's not like you are opening and closing it very often.

Then I discovered Carradice Barleys and I've been carrying too much ever since.