Author Topic: Plastic straws  (Read 3199 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Plastic straws
« Reply #25 on: 24 May, 2019, 02:10:44 pm »
Exactly.  Let's switch things where it doesn't matter, and save the single-use plastic for where it really is the best option.  Sterile medical equipment, for example, and yes, straws for the disabled people who can't safely use an alternative.

And then dispose of it responsibly so it doesn't end up in the ocean.

Plastics have changed our lives, improved our lives and often saved our lives.  Demonising specific items for the sake of greenwash is nonsensical.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 25 May, 2019, 10:40:07 am »
I saw on Farcebok yesterday that the brewers of Corona BEER have replaced the plastic-with-holes-in wossname that holds a six-pack together with a fully-biodegradable one.

Now that's progress ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2019, 09:56:41 pm »
I saw on Farcebok yesterday that the brewers of Corona BEER have replaced the plastic-with-holes-in wossname that holds a six-pack together with a fully-biodegradable one.

Now that's progress ;D

needs testing...
Everyone's favourite windbreak

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 01 June, 2019, 12:29:03 pm »
Ironically I started using a straw after all the straw-debate kicked off - it's made a significant difference to my less-dodgy right shoulder/arm when nothing else is helping. While I can use silicone, I can clean it a bit myself, I have a Kim, it can't change angles at all.

The issue is less the ban, and more the attitude and the lack of proper consultation with disabled people. People are already being told "we have no straws" when they request one and disablist remarks "you don't look disabled" or "are you SURE you need it" all of which is classic scrutiny of disabled lives which non-disableds just don't get. Why not say plastic straws aren't banned but not to be given out automatically?

Many people I know have and do switch to alternatives, but sometimes they forget (cos the amount of stuff some disableds have to haul around is immense), or they need the plastic angle-adjustment. My immune system isn't especially dodgy so I am taking the risk of the inside of my silicone one being a bit dodgy, others can't do that, or they don't have the care hours/support needed to clean them.

I saw a mention of feeding cups etc, they aren't as good as some kinds of straw, which was originally a medical item introduced in the 50s or 60s I think. I recently saw a stat saying 1 in 5 deaths of people with learning difficulties is related to asphyxiation from liquid on the lungs, the sort of thing a straw can help with massively - IF available.

It's the attitude surrounding the ban and tokenism leading to disablist nastiness I object to the most. I'd like to see plastic tat in shops, balloons and fishing waste regulated against much earlier than essential medical items which used to be easy to get and now have become hard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 01 June, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
Why not say plastic straws aren't banned but not to be given out automatically?
That is what the law says. Plastic straws can be bought from pharmacies and given out on request in cafes and restaurants. You don't, in law, have to prove disability to get one. Implementation, as you say, might be something else.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #30 on: 01 June, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »
Restricting to pharmacies is difficult cos not everyone can get into their local pharmacy (no level access) or has one. I think that's a problem, it's medicalised something that people were using quietly and happily all for "loud tokenism".

I can think of 100 things which would be better than this. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 13 June, 2019, 01:10:33 am »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/woman-trying-sell-plastic-mcdonalds-2972660
A Chipping Sodbury woman is offering a plastic McDonald's straw for sale at a price of £25.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.