Author Topic: The Cambridge Autumnals — aka "The Cambridge Sausage Fest" — Sat 8 October 2016  (Read 10110 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
I forgot to mention — on the route-check ride on Saturday there were lots of conkers, apples and acorns fallen — it is "fall" after all — but the hedgerows were laden with blackberries and rosehips just ripening up nicely.   The leaves still looked green, but you could see they're about to go golden and I'm hopeful we've timed it right this year for a proper turn-of-the-season ride   :thumbsup:

The events are filling up nicely — some spaces left, but don't leave it too long to avoid disappointment!
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Looking at the trees around Cambridge today, it looks like we've picked the right weekend for a classic autumnal ride — the leaves are just turning today and it should be a golden spectacle next weekend  :thumbsup:

There are still spaces on both rides for anyone who still wishes to enter.  We'll be playing conkers at l'arrivée — byo, naturally  ;D

Fingers crossed that this fine weather will continue.  Could be a very nice ride if it does.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I'm crossing everything on your behalf   ;)

Cross harder cos it doesn't seem to be working... That's the mudguard bike coming out! :)

Lee Killestein

Cross harder cos it doesn't seem to be working... That's the mudguard bike coming out! :)

Doesn't look too bad via Weather Bagel. It is only Tuesday though  :P

It's looking OK on the Met Office site.

I'm looking forward to stamping you all through Maglia Rosso on the 200.

I am also hoping for a sudden Indian Summer so I can spend a few hours topping up my tan  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
See you there  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Yes, it does look ok but...
If it as windy today, I may have to resort to using someone as a wind blocker the entire way!

Lee Killestein

Yes, it does look ok but...
If it as windy today, I may have to resort to using someone as a wind blocker the entire way!

Why, oh why... couldn't I have kept my big mouth shut!! Waterproofs may well be required before we reach the sausage festival at the halfway point!  :facepalm:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Why, oh why... couldn't I have kept my big mouth shut!! Waterproofs may well be required before we reach the sausage festival at the halfway point!  :facepalm:

Ay, but we're forecast a nice day west of Debenham, which is almost all the way to Framlingham.  You'll only be in it only for a short while.  I'm not breaking out the mops just yet ...

Said so! ;)

Tail winds all the way back though.

Lee Killestein

Said so! ;)

Tail winds all the way back though.

I'm keeping quiet  ::-)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Mrs W has started cooking for you all — it smells delicious, I'm getting hungry  :thumbsup:  ;D

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
I'll wave at you all when I fly into Stansted tomorrow afternoon, enjoy.

OK, coming clean here, it was a tough week at work and while I was only going to do the 100k and I did manage to get out of bed, I had a mojo fail  :)

I hope everyone has a great and largely dry ride.

LMT

Good route, good controls and well looked after at the arrivee. Many thanks to Nick and his team.

Good route, good controls and well looked after at the arrivee. Many thanks to Nick and his team.
I'll second that.

Highlights - the horses on the gallops on Molton Hill coming out of Newmarket, Maglia Rosa, lack of wind, road quality- small and mostly well surfaced compared to the AAAfractious last weekend, we'll ignore the Suffolk gravel.

Lowlights Cambridge although living here I know how to avoid most of the rubbish roads, and the the heavy shower approaching Framlingham.

Well I enjoyed the 100km. Wetter than expected for the first half (I thought of asking for my money back, given the promises of fair weather ;D ), but a really pleasant circuit.

It was very much a ride of two halves for me. It wasn't too far from home, so the area is familiar, but the roads were new once we got out of Cambridge, until Steeple Bumpstead, after which I knew them all.

I played tag with the tandems most of the way round - they were faster than me, but kept stopping to admire the views :) Eventually, though, they came past yet again, and then dropped me on the run in.

...lack of wind...
I found plenty on the legs into Saffron Walden and beyond.

rob

Was running along quite well but had a faerie visit in the rear wheel.   Bit of a faff getting the wheel out and removing the mudguard.   Was down to one gas cannister after a visitation in the front on the commute home last night.

Very quick stop for coffee in Framlingham, and a longer stop at the Maglia Rosa where I also got 4 new cannisters.   Dumb navigational error on the way back cost me a few miles of retrace.

Butternut squash soup at the finish was fantastic.

Thanks to Nick, team and family.

Who said no wind???? Pfffft

I had a great time at the Maglia Rosso today. It was good to see so many familiar faces and so many new ones (to me anyway). The cafe team seemed very happy with things at the end of the day as well.

I had about 5 minutes of rain at about 17:30 but other than that stayed dry, it was great to be able to sit out in a rather prominent position.

I found that controlling at a cycling cafe can be difficult. I kind of gave up chasing people for brevet cards after a few blank looks from those who were just out on a ride and gave me one of those....are you mad? looks  ;D

Anyway, lots of stories of punctures and shredded tyres but everyone was still smiling  :thumbsup:

Was a really good ride in the end although I felt awful from 25k till 100k due to a heavy week of garden clearing based shenanigans so had to just put my head down and hope it passed.

The tailwind on the return made it all better though and almost made up for me leaving my sunglasses at a service station as I knocked back a can of Coke. Unfortunately it was at the top of the long hill that ends with the level crossing so had no desire to go back for some old £12 dhb glasses and a good excuse to upgrade.

Thanks to everyone for organising, stamping and making lovely and incredibly well needed food.