Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428524 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #975 on: 21 August, 2018, 08:46:15 am »
Instead of buying the recommended power supply for my new looper pedal* I bought the one at the bottom of the page that came with extra cables.

The one I bought is centre positive, the one I need is centre negative :facepalm:

*not compatible with most bicycles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #976 on: 21 August, 2018, 12:22:28 pm »
Centre negative is a work of Stan

« Reply #977 on: 21 August, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »
Step 1. Spend about 30 minutes tearing things apart to find the Swiss power lead for my laptop for business trip. BECAUSE I'VE GOT ONE SOMEWHERE. Fail.

Step 2. Leave laptop power supply in its entirety at home.

PaulF

« Reply #978 on: 21 August, 2018, 01:10:25 pm »
Centre negative is a work of Stan

But seems to be standard for effects pedals, at least those that I own

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #979 on: 25 August, 2018, 08:12:09 am »
Why wouldn't they just tell you that, rather than you having to work it out?

The medical tattooist told me that most ladies have the dots covered with a ribbon tattoo. When I nearly fainted at the sight of the tattoo machine, she agreed that perhaps that it wasn't a good idea for me to do that.

« Reply #980 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:33:46 am »
Me, yesterday, on the phone to the bank:
"I have some standing orders that don't appear to have been paid, can you investigate?"
Nice chap at bank: "They will be paid on the next working day..."
Penny drops. It is a Bank Holiday in England!

(Quite why the bank computers need a holiday is a whole different question, but we won't go there...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #981 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:57:31 am »
Don't knock it: Sneaking extra public holidays through parliament under cover of being an obscure bit of banking legislation was one of the UK government's greatest triumphs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #982 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
Me, yesterday, on the phone to the bank:
"I have some standing orders that don't appear to have been paid, can you investigate?"
Nice chap at bank: "They will be paid on the next working day..."
Penny drops. It is a Bank Holiday in England!

(Quite why the bank computers need a holiday is a whole different question, but we won't go there...)

Scottish banks observe English Bank Holidays, as I found to my cost when I left my purse containing RBS cards on a bus in Edinburgh late one August...

« Reply #983 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »
This is an English/British bank.
The problem was that not all Scottish people observe English Bank Holidays, so I had forgotten that there was one...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #984 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »
Obviously what's needed is an act of parliament requiring us all to observe each other's holidays, in the interests of uniting the United Kingdom.  The current lot are probably sufficiently scared of Scottish independence that they might go for it...

« Reply #985 on: 28 August, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »
over the weekend I was using my trangia to cook pasta (greenbelt festival) so had the 'frying pan' on top of the pan as a lid. I moved it to inspect the cooking progress.....

with my finger and thumb, as a metal pan over a pan of boiling water won't be hot will it.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #986 on: 28 August, 2018, 06:32:57 pm »
The problem was that not all Scottish people observe English Bank Holidays, so I had forgotten that there was one...

I didn't expect banks to be closed; it certainly didn't feel like a Bank Holiday. I was within a stone's throw of the HQ of the Royal Bank of 'Scotland'. (I know it's part of NatWest.)

« Reply #987 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:15:32 pm »
Riding along a Dutch fietspad the bike felt a bit odd, like the front end was loose.....

The front end _was_ loose. I hadn’t used enough welly when retightening the S&S couplings after lubing them during the last service  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #988 on: 28 August, 2018, 09:26:12 pm »
Having sharpened my kindling axe, I did something today that only a complete fecking eejit would do. Once. Cue sore finger and blood dripping.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #989 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:00:12 pm »
Riding along a Dutch fietspad the bike felt a bit odd, like the front end was loose.....

The front end _was_ loose. I hadn’t used enough welly when retightening the S&S couplings after lubing them during the last service  :facepalm:

Way back when, Stuart Lemanski (whose mechanical woes are related in Michael Hutchinson's The Hour book) rode a 19-minute club '10', then, when wheeling his bike back into his house, lifted the front end and the wheel fell out.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #990 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »

I didn't expect banks to be closed; it certainly didn't feel like a Bank Holiday. I was within a stone's throw of the HQ of the Royal Bank of 'Scotland'. (I know it's part of NatWest.)
AIUI Bank Holidays in Scotland are holidays for banks but not for anyone else.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #991 on: 29 August, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »

Do NOT get me started on Public Holidays in Scotland...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #992 on: 29 August, 2018, 02:19:36 pm »
Having sharpened my kindling axe, I did something today that only a complete fecking eejit would do. Once. Cue sore finger and blood dripping.

Ahem, I've still got the scar, some 55 years later, on my thumb, after a similar incident, chopping firewood.  I recall my late mum dragging me upstairs to the bathroom for repairs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #993 on: 29 August, 2018, 02:20:00 pm »

I think that's right. PITA when you've left your purse on the bus but

this is the 'Fecking Div' thread...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #994 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:08:04 pm »
Just realised it's one kg of sugar to one kg of blackberries, not two, like the marmalade recipe.

Rats.  Tastes a bit sweet, but we'll see if it's edible in the morning.  Otherwise the dog and I will have to pick some more.  Took me a while to realise that he was emptying the tub almost as fast as I was filling it.  Once I'd explained to him how the system worked, he went off the pick his own, from those near ground level that I won't pick, as they are in dog leg-cocking range...….  He's not as fussy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #995 on: 01 September, 2018, 09:26:21 am »
Was a bit surprised the other day that the bill for wood & hardware that I bought to make a base for my new Bosch saw came to 116 €.

Was downright pissed off this morning to see an ad for a Bosch base for said saw: 119 €.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

PaulF

« Reply #996 on: 01 September, 2018, 09:46:50 am »
Was on holiday last week and couldn’t find my iPad despite being sure that I’d packed it. Got home yesterday and found it in a side pocket of my bag.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #997 on: 02 September, 2018, 10:18:18 am »
As I swept open my dressing gown and plonked myself down on the not, I failed to notice that one side of the towelling belt had dropped into the bowl.
Yes, dear reader.  I shat on it.

:-X
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #998 on: 02 September, 2018, 10:46:21 am »
As I swept open my dressing gown and plonked myself down on the not, I failed to notice that one side of the towelling belt had dropped into the bowl.

No problem, wait for it to dry and you brush it off  :hand:

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #999 on: 02 September, 2018, 01:55:56 pm »

I feel for you, but not literally.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight