Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72090 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #125 on: 06 February, 2015, 07:29:55 pm »
On Wednesday I bought about 9.5 lb of Seville oranges, which are in the freezer awaiting the right moment. That's enough for 3 batches, which should see me through the year. They were £1.70-odd a kilo. I might buy some more if I see any that are cheaper. The lowest price I have seen in Waitrose was £1.85.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #126 on: 06 February, 2015, 07:42:31 pm »
I did a couple of batches of their orgasmic ones the other week, but turned it off too soon, and it really didn't set. Ended up having a second go, although much now seems to be ok, I may have a couple of pots of orange slightly spready toffee  - I haven't dared try those yet :facepalm:

« Reply #127 on: 06 February, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »
I think that I am going to be a bit busy tomorrow.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #128 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:15:07 am »
My Dad is 87, with more hair than me. I popped round to see him the other day. "Are you making marmalade this year? "
"I've just made 27 pounds. I'll be doing 7 pounds of my three fruit hand cut too." I think he's got the hang of it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #129 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »
First batch using about half the fruit is now in jars.  The rest will probably have to wait until Monday.

Oranges were acquired by my mother who was only after 4-5 lb.  I have just been told that they were priced at 69p/lb but as the greengrocer was keen to shift his last tray she got them for £3 for about 12lb.  They even carried the tray to the car which was parked a couple of minutes walk away.  As usual there was the odd scabby one and one or two were a bit past their best but seemed to me to be a pretty good bargain as long as I don't charge for my time or gas.

« Reply #130 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:39:51 am »
Be careful out there people, this marmalade making business can be dangerous:

Doctors had to drill through her nose

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #131 on: 28 April, 2015, 09:16:05 am »
That's a standard surgical approach to chronic sinus trouble.
Even in Wetwang.

« Reply #132 on: 05 January, 2016, 11:48:09 am »
I have discovered that after a few years with almost exclusively my own marmalade, Frank Cooper's (which I used to think of as OK) is all a bit carp.

Sightings of the new season oranges are eagerly awaited.

« Reply #133 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:00:56 pm »
Marmelizing is occurring to 2 kg of most excellent waitrose orgasming oranges chez ham right now.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #134 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:19:21 am »
I have just purchased 2kg of Waitrose Seville oranges for £1.98. They are now in the freezer. I was on my bike and only had room for the 2kg in my saddlebag. I will be going back later. "Display until 12th Jan" it said. There were quite a few boxes left.

« Reply #135 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:29:10 pm »
Blimey, I paid nearly double that for 5lb (2.2kg) at the nearby greengrocers. So much for supporting local shopkeepers!

Oh well the marmalade will be good.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #136 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:07:39 pm »
I returned later in the car and all the discounted boxes had disappeared. There were lots, so I wondered if they took them away so that the new, full price stock could be displayed. Some of that has a "Display until 13th January" on it, but I don't think I can be bothered to go back in the morning.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #137 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:03:13 pm »
A cauldron full of orange soup is bubbling away nicely.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #138 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:21:06 pm »
And the results!

So far, 9 out of the 11 jar-top "buttons" have clicked down. I don't think the other two are going to now.

« Reply #139 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:39:22 pm »
I'm curious about the science behind the jar lids popping down. We have a similar hit rate on our jams, chutneys, marmalade etc.

Presumably as the air in the jar cools it decreases in volume causing a vacuum which sucks the flexible bit of the lid down. However, if I'm right does that mean the lids not being sucked down are not sealed fully and therefore nasty bugs can get into my freshly sterilised jars? Should we open these ones first?

Perhaps this should go in the knowledge?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #140 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:24:12 pm »
Presumably as the air in the jar cools it decreases in volume causing a vacuum which sucks the flexible bit of the lid down. However, if I'm right does that mean the lids not being sucked down are not sealed fully and therefore nasty bugs can get into my freshly sterilised jars? Should we open these ones first?

Perhaps this should go in the knowledge?

Yes.
But....
Jams get mouldy, and crystallise but it's pretty obvious- I just bin that spoonful. Any bacteria that can survive in that much sugar isn't going to multiply in your gut.

« Reply #141 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:09:26 pm »
My Ikea kilners rarely actually seal (and some of the real ones don't either), and I aten't ded yet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #142 on: 15 January, 2016, 04:21:20 pm »
If the lids 'pop' in, there's less (but still some) oxygen to feed any bugs/moulds.

Popping in enhances the effectiveness of the jar seal.

Jam jars ought to be sealed as long as possible to keep bugs and moist air out. Moist air will dilute a preserve and faciltate the growth of any moulds.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #143 on: 18 November, 2016, 11:05:38 am »
I have observed an interesting phenomenon with the latest batch, made last weekend.

10 of the 12 pots' buttons were sucked down, but I have noticed that when the central heating comes on, they pop up again! As the room gets colder after the heating goes off, so they get sucked in again.

I have inadvertently made an orange-flavoured barometer!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #144 on: 18 November, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »
Suspect thermometer more than barometer.
I don't think the atmospheric pressure in the house will vary much as it warms (and your house is not pressure sealed from the cold exterior).
The volume of gas in the space above the marmalade will increase as the temperature rises.
Remember Boyle's Law and Charles' Law?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #145 on: 20 November, 2016, 06:30:49 pm »
Given that I am currently experimenting with a refined-sugar-and-dairy-free diet, I decided to try making some marmalade with muscovado sugar instead. I don't think it's going to be a success. Firstly, my impression when boiling up the broth is that there are just too many very strong flavours in play. Secondly, it appears that muscovado has too much in the way of impurities in it and that they are molten at high temperatures. I think that there may be a problem getting this stuff to set.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #146 on: 20 November, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
Well, the marmalade is in jars. It didn't seem to be setting as readily as the standard recipe and I was afraid of it caramelising too much, so I jarred it. Dez gave it a very enthusiastic walrus of approval.

« Reply #147 on: 23 November, 2016, 06:52:21 pm »
Mrs. M has just made ONION marmalade. It needed a bit more sugar than was stated in the recipe and hence a bit more boiling ,but the result is as good as the shop stuff,so that's a result IMHO.
I suspect that the above is heresy given that every contribution so far has been about citrus based preserves.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #148 on: 09 December, 2016, 05:26:02 am »
Given that I am currently experimenting with a refined-sugar-and-dairy-free diet, I decided to try making some marmalade with muscovado sugar instead. I don't think it's going to be a success. Firstly, my impression when boiling up the broth is that there are just too many very strong flavours in play. Secondly, it appears that muscovado has too much in the way of impurities in it and that they are molten at high temperatures. I think that there may be a problem getting this stuff to set.

Seville oranges and muscovado sugar sounds truly awesome.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #149 on: 06 January, 2017, 03:30:16 pm »
I noticed over a week ago that Waitrose have Seville oranges in stock. Actually, they were labelled something like "marmalade oranges from Seville" so whether there is some discrepancy over the precise variety, I don't know. Seems a bit early to me. I probably won't be buying any this year because I have load in the freezer from previous years and my new-fangled no-sugar diet means that I haven't had a marmalade butty for more than 2 months.