Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752012 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2950 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
The bathroom might will be plastered and decorated by Wednesday so I should be free to pedal again  :thumbsup:

Btw, seeing the above curry adventure makes me wonder if it's time for another cycle visit to the JALSA GHAR   :-*

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #2951 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »
The bathroom might will be plastered and decorated by Wednesday so I should be free to pedal again  :thumbsup:

Btw, seeing the above curry adventure makes me wonder if it's time for another cycle visit to the JALSA GHAR   :-*

I'm guessing its done then as I saw you out this morning.

Simon's coming out too, where shall we go?

« Reply #2952 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:51:10 pm »
Exciting!  I didn't see you.  Bathroom now a proper mess after I had ago at plastering the walls  :thumbsup:  Plastering is not as easy as it appears and appears to be difficult

I had a lovely trip to Spokes this morning to get the front derailleur tweaked (couldn't shift out of the smaller reversing chain-ring).  So I was either spinning like mad on the way there or if it was the return journey, riding at pace soaking wet after falling foul of the 20% chance of precipitation  :-X

I haven't been to the Rose and Crown in a while, how does that sound? 

bloomers100

« Reply #2953 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »
Ok, gonna do a ride first just around the easters perhaps, wanna come?

bloomers100

« Reply #2954 on: 11 April, 2012, 05:03:24 pm »
Ok, its Rose and Crown after an hour's blat round the easters. Should arrive there about 8.45-9pm.

Me, Chief, Simon (Notp), any others?

bloomers100

« Reply #2955 on: 12 April, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
Oh you miserable lot!

Chief, Simon and I rode 28 km last night around the Easters, Simon suffered a visitation  In the interests of research we made an inspection visit to the Three Elms in the Chignalls.

We received a warm welcome from the landlady and the one other customer. The customer had a lovely beard that would give Wowbagger a run for his money. the open fire was lit and we nabbed the sofa. the sofa was too low for Chief after a while so we moved to a normal table.

There were four ales on offer Adnams Broadside, Colchester Brewery Red Diesel, Colchester Brewery No. 1 and Breconshire Brewery Red Dragon. They also keep a good list of ciders, at least half a dozen, mostly Westons.

I had a Red Diesel, a No 1 (slight aftertaste) and a couple of ciders, which were unpronounceable.

The Three Elms make their own Scotch eggs and pork scratchings, two flavours of scotch eggs, one with sausage the other has bacon wrapped around it, both large and both yummy.

The pork scratchings were pongy upon opening the wire tied sandwich type bag, however they proved to be very crispy and an excellent salty pub snack.

cosy fire

scotch eggs

disection

homemade pork scratchings.

Turns out Simon doesn't like hard boiled eggs - call your self a cyclist??!!

A good night during which all manner of audax plans were formulated.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2956 on: 12 April, 2012, 10:18:51 am »
Sounds like a top night.  Sorry I missed it but I was trying not to get pissed with some colleagues in London.  Excellent bar snack photography!

« Reply #2957 on: 12 April, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »
An excellent ride and evening :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure Simon appreciated us constantly sharing advanced wheel changing techniques as he battled with his 4-session tyre   :D

Not sure what time I got in but pretty sure it was close to the same day as I left

Many a cunning plan discussed

chief

ps - While driving past the http://www.windmillmotorinn.co.uk/ this morning, I noticed a sign saying they are servicing Sunday Morning breakfast from 10:30-11:30.  Let me know if anyone fancies a Sunday morning ride to finish there

bloomers100

« Reply #2958 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:03:49 am »

I'm pretty sure Simon appreciated us constantly sharing advanced wheel changing techniques as he battled with his 4-session tyre   :D

If there's one thing we're good at its advice  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2959 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:20:16 am »

Are we sure about that?  I'm never shy when it comes to dishing out advice.  I'm pretty sure 99% of it complete bollocks!

« Reply #2960 on: 13 April, 2012, 05:23:53 pm »

Are we sure about that?  I'm never shy when it comes to dishing out advice.  I'm pretty sure 99% of it complete bollocks!

Only 99%... Dont be so modest

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2961 on: 13 April, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »

Only 99%... Dont be so modest

Feel free to change your yacf handle again to "Cheeky Git"  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2962 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:00:49 pm »
...4-session tyre   :D

Typo for "4-season", or deliberate? (i.e. it lasts for four beer outings  between punctures, or is a special made by Continental for the MEMWNS market?)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #2963 on: 14 April, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »

...or is a special made by Continental for the MEMWNS market?)

Now then, there's a thought, I think Continental could make a tyre for the MEMWNS market which could dynamically change between at least two modes:

Early evening:

Skinny and low resistance compound ensuring a fast getaway and short route to the destination.  Directionally quick to steer around flashmob badgers (apparently the new European Moose test).  Tyre is completely puncture proof and during the Christmas period, emits a rumble similar to the tune of Slade's " I wish it could be Christmas everyday".
On arrival and while owner is busy rehydrating, tyres check saddle bag inventory and if necessary locates and purchases at least two Ginster products

Later, at home time:

Tyres assess whether to activate the Airplane style automatically pilot or allow the owner to be roughly in control
Compound expands to at least 50mm while deflating itself to an ice friendly PSI
Tyres follow a set distance from left hand side of the road while automatically bunny-hoping badgers, small children or pot holes
User input is mostly ignored as it guides owner home with the rumble noise changed to I-tune's lowest selling single - John Cage's 4'33"
On arrival at owner's home, front wheel leaps up allowing a smooth transition to human walking mode while shining a light to the door the owner should next walk into through
Tyres then automatically park the bike securely in the owner's stable and sends a signal to switch all clocks within a 100 metre radius back 2 hours
The next morning the tyres agree with any of the owner's stories (though they tend to blow a valve when asked how come there's so much Essex ditch attached to the bike)

I shall email Continental forthwith :thumbsup:

« Reply #2964 on: 14 April, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

Typo for "4-season", or deliberate? (i.e. it lasts for four beer outings  between punctures, or is a special made by Continental for the MEMWNS market?)

Deliberate indeed!  Simon was grumbling that he is getting frequent visitations.  Naturally we helped him out by mentioning we rarely get them   :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2965 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:59:50 am »
I would like to suggest we promote chief to MEMWNS Head of R&D!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2966 on: 17 April, 2012, 08:50:12 am »
Anyone thinking of heading out tomorrow night?  If so, might I suggest The Cats at Woodham Walter? Clicky here for a map.

The Cats and Wally the grumpy landlord are both legendary in my humble opinion.  The Mighty North Hill is pleasingly close by.

Thoughts people?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2967 on: 17 April, 2012, 11:53:38 am »
If our ride to Colchester was a prelude to the curry & G&YF outing then a trip to The Cats on Wednesday evening is likely to be a prelude to the wet & windy G&YF outing  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2968 on: 17 April, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
Yes indeedy.  Does anyone else fancy a trip to The Cats or perhaps have any better ideas?

A few notes on how to deal with Wally.  The first point is that urban myth has it that he sometimes doesn't open if he can't be bothered.   I have never know this to be the case.  Describing him as grumpy is perhaps a little harsh, brusque might be a better word; I think he's a brilliant bloke  :thumbsup:  If you want to keep on the right side of him my experience suggests you'd be unwise to ask for a child's size lemonade (it only comes in one size), rosé wine (it's red or white), a spin dryer or a ploughman's on any lunchtime other than Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

bloomers100

« Reply #2969 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »
As much as I'd like to schmooze with Wally, I'm not even going to put in for a pass having just got back from a two night perambulation of the Suffolk Tundra. (I may have depleted my pocket money a good deal in the White Horse on Sunday night, top sesh tho).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2970 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »
Fair enough, you're excused!

bloomers100

« Reply #2971 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
Thanks Guv.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2972 on: 17 April, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »
I think I've run out of 'points', with Chelmer 10 tonight and off on the G&Y Fields Fri/Sat.

Next week maybe......

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2973 on: 17 April, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »
I think I've run out of 'points', with Chelmer 10 tonight and off on the G&Y Fields Fri/Sat.

Next week maybe......

Fair enough, you're excused as well  ;D  See you Friday night  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2974 on: 17 April, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »
Anyone fancy riding to Harwich next Friday night (27th)? I'm setting off on my Berlin to London tripl, heading off for Harwich at about 7:30pm. Could potentially stop for some food at the Cherry Tree, Great Oakley.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk