Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751991 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3450 on: 20 December, 2012, 04:56:44 pm »
It appears that OD and Mrs OD are picking up me and Mrs H to drive us over to The Compasses this evening  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3451 on: 20 December, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »
I think I still need to recover my mojo, sorry folks - have a great night.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3452 on: 20 December, 2012, 05:19:39 pm »
... Decisions, decisions...  One the one hand, it's wet and cold, on the other there are some lovely ales to try and I could do with riding a few miles...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3453 on: 20 December, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »
... Decisions, decisions...  One the one hand, it's wet and cold, on the other there are some lovely ales to try and I could do with riding a few miles...

Go on ....!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3454 on: 20 December, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »
Well... the weather report seems to think the rain is going to stop at 8 or 9 o'clock, and that it's not that cold (only 8C or so... felt colder earlier).

I think I will HTFU and mosey on over to the Compasses for a brew or two then :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3455 on: 20 December, 2012, 05:36:34 pm »
Well... the weather report seems to think the rain is going to stop at 8 or 9 o'clock, and that it's not that cold (only 8C or so... felt colder earlier).

I think I will HTFU and mosey on over to the Compasses for a brew or two then :)

Good man.  I was out this morning and lived to tell the tale!

« Reply #3456 on: 20 December, 2012, 06:11:30 pm »
I'd like to join you folks but like Tomsk I'm recovering from the lurgy  >:(

Have a good evening

Are you going to do version 3 of the hand over of the trophy? this time with old awardee giving to new  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3457 on: 20 December, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »
We can't. The trophy is now screwed to Huggy's mantelpiece!

« Reply #3458 on: 20 December, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
No problem, how easy to move the mantlepiece?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3459 on: 20 December, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »
Me and whatsisface are comin eta 2015.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3460 on: 20 December, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »
No problem, how easy to move the mantlepiece?
;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3461 on: 20 December, 2012, 08:52:17 pm »
I would have been very tempted to a bit of carol singing around that piano, lubricated with whatever they have on offer, but sadly the sneezelurgy has overwhelmed me.

Give it a good voice, chaps!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3462 on: 20 December, 2012, 09:06:18 pm »
I'm singing!  For the first time in years!  Rejoice!

« Reply #3463 on: 20 December, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
I'm singing!  For the first time in years!  Rejoice!

Most of the people in the lane are out with torches wondering where the strange noises are coming from  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3464 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:51:42 am »
A jolly festive evening at The Compasses. The music was played out in the marquee porch thing on a keyboard that was doing a very good impersonation of a church organ.
OD was singing it's true, and beaming like a cherub after each verse.

A wide selection of beers is available for the mini festive beer festival my personal favourites were Santas Revenge (Can't remember which brewer) and Old Nicks Nog (Mighty Oak).

Things got sillier when we moved onto mulled wine and mulled cider nom nom. One of these two had me up at 0110 hrs thinking it was time to get up and rambling about a non existent door in the bedroom whilst stood at the foot of the bed. Mrs B was not impressed.

A lot of flood water out on the short ride home, I hope Oaky made it okay without doing any swimming.

« Reply #3465 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:30:27 am »

Things got sillier when we moved onto mulled wine and mulled cider nom nom. One of these two had me up at 0110 hrs thinking it was time to get up and rambling about a non existent door in the bedroom whilst stood at the foot of the bed. Mrs B was not impressed.

Getting funny looks over here. That made me LOL!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3466 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:39:52 am »
Our journey home was slightly delayed by an unscheduled hedge stop. My lips are sealed  ;D

« Reply #3467 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:02:19 am »
Our journey home was slightly delayed by an unscheduled hedge stop. My lips are sealed  ;D

Did that involve getting out of the car or was it simply driver error?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3468 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:27:50 am »
On the way to the Compasses, I rode through loads of large floods, but nearly turned back twice at huge expanses of water, until I found ways to walk round them.  One was in a notoriously floody section between Terling and Fuller St. where a culvert was overloaded by the volume of water (if you've ridden this way, you'll know it for the triangular /!\ and /try your brakes\ signs).  That section had loud rushing water, almost to the height of the raised pedestrian walkway.  I've stopped to try and film it in the dark before, but the water was even higher this time around.

Whilst waiting here deciding if it would be possible to ride through, the car at the other side (some sort of chavmobile ... Corsa or similar) decided to gun it through the flood and try to soak the cyclist.  He had underestimated the depth and so was unable to create the wall of water he had hoped for, although his bow wave did soak my right foot.  The car shimmied quite badly when he hit the deepest part, and I thought "if he floods it, or loses control, or if he gets water in his air intake and blows the pistons out of the top of his engine, I will laugh my cock off".  Unfortunately it didn't happen (the car thing, not the cock thing).

A number of Winter ales were sampled, (I particularly remember the Bishop Nick St Nicholas, the Farmers Christmas Stout, and Santa's Swallie (brewery has slipped my mind - somewhere in Scotchland) as being extremely tasty).  Bloomers forced mulled wine and cider on me too.

On the way home, I rerouted via Youngs End and the Notleys, so only had to cross 3 floods (all of which were on the road from Littley Green to the B<mumble> (road to Great Leighs)). The Faulkbourne road, thankfully had nothing more than a few puddles that it was possible to ride around.

I got home around 1am, and managed not to see any non-existent doors.  I was, however, very glad to have MTFUed and got out on the bike, even if I now have the start of a cold developing.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3469 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:31:15 pm »
Very early doors (I'm aiming for about 8am) on Sunday morning I'm pedalling off to the farm shop at Ranks Green to get our Christmas meat if anyone fancies tagging along.

« Reply #3470 on: 21 December, 2012, 05:12:09 pm »
Very early doors (I'm aiming for about 8am) on Sunday morning I'm pedalling off to the farm shop at Ranks Green to get our Christmas meat if anyone fancies tagging along.

I might tag along. Just have to check with her indoors. Doubt we'll be in a rush to do anything else on Sunday. I'll text you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3471 on: 21 December, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »
Right ho!

« Reply #3472 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »
Just had a thought. A bit early to go to a butcher isn't it? Terling? Early morning? Christmas meat? You're not planning on going reindeer poaching are you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3473 on: 22 December, 2012, 07:01:27 am »
No, I'll be ok. The only reindeer poaching opportunities in this area are around Dunmow as that's where Tomsk and the Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny are to be found!

« Reply #3474 on: 23 December, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »
Nice to get out this morning. Quick spin with OD up to Ranks Green. LOTS of standing wate, mud and shingle on the lanes. Still quite a rushing torrent across the road near Terling though not as bad as when Oaky was down there on Thursday night.

Happy Christmas to you all!