Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752501 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6125 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
 :thumbsup:

I might just stop for 1 pint again.  I'm more than happy to ride home alone rather than expect everyone else to be antisocial.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6126 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:57:36 am »
Not sure if you guys are aware of the Chelmsford CAMRA beer and cider trail they have running at the moment, hoping to use it as a few destinations for future rides out with the Mrs...

http://www.chelmsfordcamra.org.uk/

You probably can tick off a lot of them pubs between now and the end with your rides :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6127 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:02:09 am »
Not sure if you guys are aware of the Chelmsford CAMRA beer and cider trail they have running at the moment, hoping to use it as a few destinations for future rides out with the Mrs...

You probably can tick off a lot of them pubs between now and the end with your rides :)

Whereabouts in Essex are you based jiberjaber?

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6128 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:24:34 am »
:thumbsup:

I might just stop for 1 pint again.  I'm more than happy to ride home alone rather than expect everyone else to be antisocial.

OD ok I will see what time we arrive at the Viper and decide as we have a little further to travel back this week particularly if it is likely to be icy....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6129 on: 03 February, 2015, 04:11:19 pm »
Right then, I have come to a decision, I'm not going out tomorrow night.  In fact I might knock the mid-winter, mid-week, mid-Essex nocturnal riding on the head for a few weeks and concentrate on the gym instead (inspired by that old crock Huggy).

Riding when there is a prospect of ice terrifies me after coming off some years ago and damaging my shoulder which put me out of action for a few weeks.  I'm worried that I might seriously hurt myself and put my PBP campaign in jeopardy.

I have also been talking to Harry Rowland and it's obvious my wheels need new rims so it make sense to do that whilst the weather is nasty.

Sorry to disappoint folks  :-*

« Reply #6130 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:12:56 pm »
Not a bad call. My ride over this morning was pretty slow and a little jittery. Mostly where the road was not white it was nice and sparkly so I think I'll stick to the commute extending the home leg if things look ok. I'll probably try and get some extra daytime hours in on the weekend to keep the mileage up a bit using the commuter with the slightly bigger tyres.

I sent my Spokes and Hub of to Harry this morning, sounds like it should be a pretty quick turn around actually. Are you going to stick to the same wheel formula OD? New hubs or reuse?

Is Claude still hiding in your garage or is that what Trainmanbri is doing in The Gambia?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6131 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »
Ice tyres on the Kona and tested today...not much ice left when I went out  :( Bike could do with a service though, both brakes were binding a bit; with that and the sluggish nature of the tyres, I'll have to allow an extra half-hour to get over - still aiming for 21:00?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6132 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »
Not a bad call. My ride over this morning was pretty slow and a little jittery. Mostly where the road was not white it was nice and sparkly so I think I'll stick to the commute extending the home leg if things look ok. I'll probably try and get some extra daytime hours in on the weekend to keep the mileage up a bit using the commuter with the slightly bigger tyres.

I sent my Spokes and Hub of to Harry this morning, sounds like it should be a pretty quick turn around actually. Are you going to stick to the same wheel formula OD? New hubs or reuse?

Is Claude still hiding in your garage or is that what Trainmanbri is doing in The Gambia?

Claud has yet to go to Africa, having thought about it Bri could of taken it with him - bugger, missed opportunity!

Yes, I am just going for new Open Pro rims, it's up to Harry whether he wants to use new spokes, I will pay for whatever he suggests.  Huggy's new hoops are on their way from Harry so I have arranged to send my hoops back in Huggy's box.

Might pop into the gym this evening and discuss membership options.  Also need to buy some pink leg warmers and a lime green leotard.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6133 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:11:52 pm »

Whereabouts in Essex are you based jiberjaber?

South side of Chelmsford, about a mile out of the town
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6134 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:49:32 am »
Excellent. You're well placed to join us on a Wednesday evening should you wish to. Which is your favourite pub(s)?

The Retiree

« Reply #6135 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:51:48 am »
Ice tyres on the Kona and tested today...not much ice left when I went out  :( Bike could do with a service though, both brakes were binding a bit; with that and the sluggish nature of the tyres, I'll have to allow an extra half-hour to get over - still aiming for 21:00?

Tomsk I assume from this post that you are still attending this evening? With OD's withdrawal it looks as though it will just be myself and Andy C33 riding from the Witham Crew this evening, we have both said due to the distance (on a winters evening) we would probably only want to stay for a pint (to try and secure a Weds return) and therefore wondered if you fancied a venue change to the good old Compasses meaning we would stick around for more than a swift pint!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6136 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:31:16 pm »
Looks like it won't be icy tonight, at least not early on. I can do my Bardfield loop first [see the 'Your Marsh Gibbon' thread...]

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6137 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »
Excellent. You're well placed to join us on a Wednesday evening should you wish to. Which is your favourite pub(s)?

I might do when it starts to get a bit lighter, its a struggle to finish work before 7 most nights, but the lighter nights will give me more of an incentive to turn the laptop off...  :) 

What speed are the rides usually at?

I don't generally ride to the pub (at the moment), so its mostly walking or "Mrs Taxi", the Woolpack is our fav in Chelmsford as its only a mile from home and on the way in to town for food, we've not really explored the delights of cycling to pubs yet (though I have done the Donkey & Buskins on a ride there and back)....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6138 on: 05 February, 2015, 05:58:46 am »
To save you the trouble of wading through hundreds of pages of mostly piss taking the format is this....

We agree a target pub for the evening on here. Everyone then descends on it from various directions, has a couple of pints and rides home. Sometimes we get home before midnight, sometimes not.  I'm quite lucky as there are quite a few members leaving from Witham so we can raise a reasonably sized peloton. Tomsk comes from Dunmow mostly on his lonesome.  tippers_kiwi comes from Tiptree. There's a chap on here called rr who now lives in Chelmsford so perhaps we can encourage him to join us, be good to get a Chelmo peloton going.  And of course there's bobb from Chelmsford too.

I've been to the Woolie in Chelmsford, it was very good so there's no reason why we can't again. Or if you fancy meeting us at a target pub you'd be most welcome. Or we could meet on route somewhere, the Hanningfields perhaps?

The pace is social and we all ride road bikes of various discriptions.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6139 on: 05 February, 2015, 08:35:30 am »
Great thanks for that. I will definitely aim to tag along at some point then (I've been lurking on the thread for a couple of months now :) )
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6140 on: 05 February, 2015, 08:40:43 am »
Great thanks for that. I will definitely aim to tag along at some point then (I've been lurking on the thread for a couple of months now :) )

Smashing.  I will see what I can do to raise a Chelmo peloton, I will quickly blast out a PM before the working day gets underway.

« Reply #6141 on: 05 February, 2015, 09:14:37 am »

Smashing.  I will see what I can do to raise a Chelmo peloton, I will quickly blast out a PM before the working day gets underway.

8:40.....that is nearly lunchtime!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6142 on: 05 February, 2015, 09:19:10 am »
^^^

[Takes hint and downs tools for an hour]

The Retiree

« Reply #6143 on: 05 February, 2015, 10:05:54 am »
Having changed the location headed, to a nearer destination than the initially proposed Viper myself, Andy C33 and Tomsk decended upon the good old Compasses!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk must have been shocked to see myself and Andy already seated with a pint of Black Heart upon his arrival as usually he has been seat warming/table sitting for a while as the Witham peloton arrives.  ::-)

After sampling the Heart I moved onto a pint of East Anglian amber ale which was also very enjoyable, a rather chilly ride round with the Garmin displaying a good -1/-2 most of the way round, however no signs of ice that we came across so I think the wind chill factor was making it colder than the ground temp  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6144 on: 05 February, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

It's a slippery slope that can lead to all sorts of adventures and silliness...night rides and randonnees, camping in pub gardens in January, off-road jaunts, but welcome to the Peloton, jiberjaber  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6145 on: 05 February, 2015, 02:05:28 pm »

It's a slippery slope that can lead to all sorts of adventures and silliness...night rides and randonnees, camping in pub gardens in January, off-road jaunts, but welcome to the Peloton, jiberjaber  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber, Tomsk's mention of slippery slopes is well placed  ;D

Whilst we are a band of keen cyclists, and some of us can properly knock out the miles, there have been occasional outbreaks of drunkenness.  The evening of Wednesday 30th June 2010 will forever live in my memory even though I remained largely sober and wasn't involved in everything that happened.  It was the first evening that Huggy, now a MEMWNS stalwart and accomplished mile eater, came riding with us.  I think it is fair to say his life hasn't been the same since   :thumbsup:

If you dare you might like to scroll back to pages 48 and 49, posts #1175 to 1204.  WARNING - readers of a nervous disposition may find some of the images disturbing as they contain traces of nudity.

Its very fair to say that not every evening is like 30/6/2010 which is just as well as neither livers or relationships with other halves would remain intact.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6146 on: 05 February, 2015, 02:38:28 pm »
LOL - that looks like an epic night!  ;D  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6147 on: 05 February, 2015, 03:33:24 pm »
I am toying with the idea of an early morning ride out to Wally's Shed in Acton (Sudbury) on Saturday to get some breakfast. My plan is to leave pretty early (before first light) have breakfast and be back between 10 and 12.

I am going to be on the Commuter so it won't be a huge rush job, likely in the 12-15 mph range and will end up being about 50 miles round trip (from Tiptree). I have yet to decide on a route.

edited - If I enjoy the breakfast too much I might cheat and catch a Sudbury - Marks Tey train to speed the trip home  ;D

Anyone interested?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #6148 on: 05 February, 2015, 07:57:07 pm »
I just went back to page 48, a few of us are carrying a few extra pounds since that night.

Epic.

« Reply #6149 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:33:00 am »
Are we off to the Hurdlemakers this week? I will make my own way over there, as I will aim to get out of work a little early and get over to the Pub for some dinner, the menu looks pretty good  ;D