Author Topic: Companies under charity umbrella - what could that mean?  (Read 968 times)

Companies under charity umbrella - what could that mean?
« on: 05 September, 2019, 04:01:07 pm »
This is a random question about company and charity law that somebody might have encountered before. If not then no matter.

I'm about to apply for a job through an agency for a local company but there is something strange. It's a manufacturing company producing product which has purposely got flaws in. They are used to test QC in a company, or some such matter. Whatever it's not really relevant to the job as product matter can be learnt. The odd thing is the company is controlled by a charity. Described as such but also as under a charity umbrella elsewhere.

Now I think I read that it's possible for a company to be a charity. Can anyone explain this to me better? My Google skills didn't find an answer to this. BTW the company makes product that gets used in industry. Kind of control samples I guess in a QA use.

Anyway, it's a random question so I think it belongs here. I hope someone has an idea what I'm talking about and can explain. Either way I'm applying for the job tonight.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Companies under charity umbrella - what could that mean?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:33:43 pm »
You can be a charity limited by guarantee as an organisation I'm a trustee of does... So we formed a company then we became a charity, we have to wrangle both Companys House and Charity Commission.

Since 201x you can create a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) which is a hybrid company/charity which would do the same as the above in one step rather than 2. Wasn't available when we set up our charitable company.

Often companies will set up a charitable arm to access funding... Or a charity will set up a company to do things under company law that can't be done under charity law. An example is Motability which has both a charity and company interlinked...

Doesn't answer your questions but might give you some ideas to Google and see how that relates to your situation.

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:40:47 pm »
I'm really trying to find out about the company. It seems to me that the charity part is significant wrt the way the company operates as an employer.

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2019, 12:47:05 pm »
If you've not already done so, you can find information on the company through a free Companies House search https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/ . Look for Incorporation and/or Memorandum and Articles of Association. They may provide objects of company.
Regards, Martin

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »
Rasberry Pi foundation has charitable status, presumably for educational purposes.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:24:01 pm »
I can imagine that providing QA products to industry might serve some charitable public safety objective or something...

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »
I use companies House website a lot. Very useful at times. Trouble is it's hard I find a company name when you've found out about it through a recruitment company's job advert.

Funny thing is the advert I first saw it on doesn't have the charity reference. I think that might have been on another job site. Unless I'm mistaken and the charity was with a different job I've seen advertised. Confused now. Probably need to get organised and make notes of jobs I find.

My query was really just out of curiosity. I doubt knowing this will benefit me with any job interview or application. I think you have answered it or given me ideas to look into. Thanks everyone.