Author Topic: Tokyo Olympic - cycling  (Read 14807 times)

Re: Tokyo Olympic - cycling
« Reply #125 on: 08 August, 2021, 01:26:44 pm »
Shame about the Derny bike just being a standard electric bike.  They could at least have re-created an electric version of the little motorbike that was used in the past.  And got the rider to wear a big leather coat.

Being Japan, I’m surprised it wasn’t a robot Derny. Though maybe Keirin is a bit too traditional for that.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #126 on: 08 August, 2021, 01:47:16 pm »
I think Chris Hoy was saying something the other day about how going electric has lost one of the things which contributed to the whole Keirin show, because the tension in the velodrome would rise with the engine revs of the old motorbike before the action kicked off in the final three laps.

So what we need is a little sound system mounted on the e-bike, playing a recording of a derny motorbike/TIE Fighter/whatever. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #127 on: 08 August, 2021, 01:57:47 pm »
Yes one of the memories of going to the 6 days races in DK was the NOICE building up as each race came close to the last lap. Hitting the barriers and stomping on the steps/seats and the motor cycle revving up.

Along with the smoke, yes they used to smoke like no tomorrow in the VIP and coach area, coming up from chimney aka centre bit that was so thick that you couldn't see across to the far side of the track. And then the unlimited amount of hotdogs I could get when I did the beer runs for my dad and friends. Yes back then a 8-10 year old could buy beers for their folks without any question.   
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #128 on: 08 August, 2021, 02:36:49 pm »
I think Chris Hoy was saying something the other day about how going electric has lost one of the things which contributed to the whole Keirin show, because the tension in the velodrome would rise with the engine revs of the old motorbike before the action kicked off in the final three laps.

So what we need is a little sound system mounted on the e-bike, playing a recording of a derny motorbike/TIE Fighter/whatever. :demon:
lolly sticks on the spokes would be ideal  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #129 on: 08 August, 2021, 02:56:18 pm »

lolly sticks on the spokes would be ideal  ;D

Proper Old Skool. :thumbsup:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #130 on: 08 August, 2021, 04:11:27 pm »
Given they seemed to repurpose the Euros mini-car ball deliverer to be the hammer/discus/shot conveyors, maybe they should just a put a very tall rider on one of these to do the pacing around the velodrome.

« Reply #131 on: 08 August, 2021, 04:16:31 pm »
Given they seemed to repurpose the Euros mini-car ball deliverer to be the hammer/discus/shot conveyors, maybe they should just a put a very tall rider on one of these to do the pacing around the velodrome.

Athletics has been using this method for decades, I think.

« Reply #132 on: 09 August, 2021, 12:27:39 am »
Along with the smoke, yes they used to smoke like no tomorrow in the VIP and coach area, coming up from chimney aka centre bit that was so thick that you couldn't see across to the far side of the track. And then the unlimited amount of hotdogs I could get when I did the beer runs for my dad and friends. Yes back then a 8-10 year old could buy beers for their folks without any question.

I only got very faint memories of 6 day racing, but it's virtually identical.

Nick H.

« Reply #133 on: 09 August, 2021, 12:39:59 am »
Kenny's escape probably wouldn't have worked in Japanese keirin, because the riders have to declare their tactics before the race https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lwm5/the-secret-world-of-japanese-bicycle-racing-with-sir-chris-hoy

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #134 on: 25 August, 2021, 07:14:33 am »
Get in - 15, yes you read it correct 15, GOLD medals in the Paralympics to Dame Sarah Storey !!!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #135 on: 25 August, 2021, 12:10:47 pm »
Yebbut if Crystal Lane-Wright had beaten her, it might have done more to dispel the impression that she just doesn't have any comparable competition.  She's an incredible cyclist, but her 10 Paralympic gold cycling medal are not what impress me most about her palmares.

See also; Mark Cavendish being beaten to third place in the sprint on the Champs Elysees - it increased the worth of his victories by demonstrating that he has strong competition.

« Reply #136 on: 25 August, 2021, 08:20:47 pm »
Storey just missed out on making the Olympic team in 2012 and used to race regularly in British women’s road racing so she’s pretty good.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #137 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:34:01 pm »
That’s exactly what I mean  :thumbsup: