General Category > OT Knowledge

Roma: when to visit?

(1/4) > >>

Andrij:
I've been resident on this side of the pond for 15 years but have never set foot in Italy.  There are a number of cities I'd like to visit, but instead of a long tour I'm thinking of a number of short trips - starting with Rome.

When is a good time to visit?  From what I've heard, we're in the period when it can be just too hot and unpleasant.  I don't need linen suit weather, but I also don't want to be bundled up in layers and sheltering under an umbrella the whole time.

Thoughts?

Ham:
Yeah, start with Florence.

Andrij:
 ;D

LEE:
I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in Desenzano del Garda, courtesy of my company's training centre being Mussollini's former Villa on the lake (Yes...very lucky).

I can highly recommend the place for a long weekend (on mainline from Milan and also on same line to Verona and Venice).

You can hop a ferry to a number of beautiful towns on the lake.  It's probably the location for the best time I ever had.

On friday/Saturday night the well-heeled Milan crowd come down for the evenings and you get to watch the most stunning people promenading.

I think I need to go back, but I won't get expenses any more.

Rome was a too-busy, too-hot, too-much-hard-work city when I was there in peak summer (again...another training centre freebie.)

LittleWheelsandBig:
I've mostly holidayed in Rome in winter. It is quiet, cheap and noticeably warmer and dryer than a British winter. The main hassle was the early evenings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version