Author Topic: Contrails  (Read 1264 times)

Contrails
« on: 20 July, 2014, 03:52:48 pm »
A spin-off from Steph's post in the Malaysian airliner crash thread, with a query for those that know about aerodynamics.

Steph's explanation of contrail formation is very clear. Do wingtip devices cause contrails in the wingtip vortices to be smaller?

Chris S

Re: Contrails
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2014, 03:57:39 pm »
Yes, but they are teeny weeny compared to those produced by engines.

Wing tips make contrails by reducing air pressure low enough to induce condensation.

Engines do it by pumping water vapour out in the exhaust, as part of the combustion of fossil fuel. Only the latter has a fuel supply behind it.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »
Remember watching A10s on the Suffolk coast.  They were doing practice manouevres and when they pulled out from a dive or did a kind of barrel roll you could see lovely silvery trails like concentrated heat haze coming from the wing tips.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »
Any fule kno that "contrails" (sic) are actually the result of shadowy agents of the military-industrial complex spraying chemicals into the upper atmosphere, for who knows what purpose.  Srsly.

Srsly, I know someone who actually believes this :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »
Any fule kno that "contrails" (sic) are actually the result of shadowy agents of the military-industrial complex spraying chemicals into the upper atmosphere, for who knows what purpose.  Srsly.

So do I.

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:15:26 am »

So do I.
Contrails contain thought-control chemicals, HAARP controls the weather and the 'mercans are responsible for all natural disasters and outbreaks of war because they produce the contrails and HAARP.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2014, 01:05:39 pm »
Our guide ( government agent) in Cuba told us that the Americans sprayed "something" round the coast line and all the pigs died. He obviously believed it.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »
Our guide ( government agent) in Cuba told us that the Americans sprayed "something" round the coast line and all the pigs died. He obviously believed it.

That would be altogether less surprising given the USAnians' behaviour towards Haitian pigs.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »
On Friday in Shepherds Bush, it seems fairly clear that a number of pilots were attempting to paint a giant contrail pentagram in the sky. 

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »
On Friday in Shepherds Bush, it seems fairly clear that a number of pilots were attempting to paint a giant contrail pentagram in the sky. 

Having witnessed that just be careful you don't: stray from God, get seduced by an adulterous woman, and ultimately break the chivalric code like Sir Gawain.  Unless you want to, that is.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

Pilots, schmilots!  The military-industrial complex is clearly sending a message to its reptilian overlords...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:10:28 am »
Every time you deny the chemtrails, George Bush eats a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk