General Category > OT Knowledge

Returning item using "return to sender"

(1/4) > >>

hubner:
I bought a "Buy it Now" book from Ebay but it was not as described. The (business) seller has offered a refund and asked me to return it for free by putting it back in the envelope, cross out my address and write "return to sender" on it.

Will it get there and is it right to return it like this?

In this situation, fixed price and business seller, returning should be paid for by the seller. But we're only talking about £2, so it's not worth the effort of doing it the "proper" way ie sending more messages to the seller, queueing at the post office, cashing a cheque from the seller to refund me for sending it back. I know Ebay says you are suppose it send it back using a signed delivery method because there needs a proof that the seller has received it.

The seller has also offed a 50% discount if I keep the item. But the item is of no use to me.

CAMRAMan:
I don't think you can do that with a letter that has clearly been opened. RTS is supposed to be used for mail that has been, e.g. sent to someone who has moved, or if it has been refused by the addressee. When we send back mail like that, there is no category for "unwanted item" on the form we use.

hubner:
If you open the envelope by lifting up the flap and stick it down again with tape, or any other method, how does Royal Mail know it wasn't done by the sender? I have certainly had to open up letters, to check something etc, before re-sealing and sending them.

CAMRAMan:
Well, I did say 'clearly'...

hubner:
I think the only way Royal Mail will know if a letter/package has been opened by the receiver is if the stamp and postmark has been disturbed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version