Author Topic: Atrial Fibrillation  (Read 2383 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Atrial Fibrillation
« on: 10 April, 2024, 03:52:11 pm »
Leicester University is studying AF in Veteran and Endurance athletes.
Quite a few members of this parish seem to be so afflicted and might be interested.
https://le.ac.uk/cardiovascular-sciences/research/afletes-mri?fbclid=IwAR3W2VTGvTCqqL3VVcTGZPhk2s1Oz0p0VYvxlUkUZ0DpHh6ga82ETbTCcIE_aem_AXP951Rh7iHQ9jmRGFtKzGSumZZ-AAAz-GdJusLeyt-FHehPAVWrCiDxuaDBG07DCzpxRVn8xdodZAwa7z2P1_fz

Re: Atrial Fibrillation
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:14:45 pm »
Thankyou.

Well that is me except for the word 'athlete'. Does an audax count as an "organised event at regional or higher level"? I'm not sure, even though...as you know...I won quite a few.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:19:16 pm »
I've emailed them to offer myself as a volunteer.

I was modest about my many victories.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:03:43 pm »
even though...as you know...I won quite a few.

You never said. Tell me more.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:09:38 pm »
My sister, a senior arrythmia nurse, was sure I had it.  After several ECGs and other tests, I don't.  Just ectopic beats caused by stress.  I have felt quite ill for the last 8 months.  Not since last Friday though, when I finished work.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:21:26 pm »
Is that Maddy’s Daddy?

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:53:43 pm »
even though...as you know...I won quite a few.

You never said. Tell me more.

What is the word for attempting to parody a parody?

A parodody?

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:58:00 pm »
My sister, a senior arrythmia nurse, was sure I had it.  After several ECGs and other tests, I don't.  Just ectopic beats caused by stress.  I have felt quite ill for the last 8 months.  Not since last Friday though, when I finished work.

My experience of it left me in no doubt I had it. Although, it was preceded by ridiculous bouts of ectopic beats.

Weirdly, with the exception of last Saturday I havent had any ectopic beats (or at least prolonged bouts) for nearly six weeks, which is quite odd given what I experienced for 4 months.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:45:12 am »
I'm wondering how long the people on here who have it have been audaxing.  I was a relatively late starter - first 200 when I was 56 - and although various doctors & cardiologists have been telling me for years that it's just around the corner it hasn't happened yet.  Last read-out from my holter implant showed zero events.

I knocked off Audax after PBP 2015, making my career just 12 years long.  I've done a few informal 200s since, but nothing longer.

How about others?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:50:55 am »
I'm wondering how long the people on here who have it have been audaxing.

18 years man and boy

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:55:32 am »
It only took me half a dozen audaxes to realise that it's a great way to spoil an otherwise decent bike ride, but still I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation about 4 years ago. Beta blockers and blood thinners constitute part of my breakfast every day. There were quite a few years between 2006 and 2014 in which I notched up well over 6,000 miles so that might well do it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2024, 09:46:31 am »
Yes, "an organised event at regional level or above" is confusing. I might point mr fimm at it; he's never done an Audax but has done 4 Ironman triathlons, and into double figures of ultramarathons. I think that the point is the amount of time you spend exercising, even if you are not calling it training but just going for a bike ride.

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2024, 10:06:09 am »
athLETES - Did their caps lock get stuck?

Then Afletes in the email address, did spell checker go rogue?

Note they are also looking for

2. I am an athlete and I do not have atrial fibrillation.

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2024, 10:06:52 am »
Well 20 years of 30 miles a day commuting plus audaxing has probably done it.

The rest of the usual risk factors (obesity, age etc) don't apply to me (yet)

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:20:44 am »

It's a joke, Phil:  AFlete = athlete with Atrial Fibrillation, commonly referred to as AF.  Don't forget, this whole thing looks impressive but I'm betting there will be a significant student involvement, therefore self-referential in-jokes are to be expected!

Student involvement possibly explains why they are not interested in people with the condition who are old, even if they appear (like myself) to be text-book cases.

I didn't have ATH until a few years ago (I definitely didn't have it in my early 70s and tests prove that).  All my life I have been sporty but never trained excessively by modern obsessive standards.  But I did have a habit of doing fairly extreme things (like the occasional 40 mile moor crossing or the Three Peaks) without much training at all and the same is probably true of my short Audax "career" which was only about 10 years, starting in my mid-sixties.  I think I am probably a text-book case of somebody stupid and my input might be useful in such a study - but I have been SPURNED!!!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:27:19 am »
Well that is me except for the word 'athlete'. Does an audax count as an "organised event at regional or higher level"? I'm not sure, even though...as you know...I won quite a few.

I got called an athlete by a physioterrorist once.  Of course, that was before I was a BRITISH champion...  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:35:59 am »

I got called an athlete by a physioterrorist once.  Of course, that was before I was a BRITISH champion...  ;D

;D ;D ;D

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:46:11 am »
i was at the health check/mot few years ago and the ecg showed a couple of irregular beats. cardiologist asked few questions if i notice or feel any effects, i said not at all. he said many people have mild arrhythmia, and it only requires attention if irregular beats exceed a certain amount per day (10,000 in 24hrs, iirc). perhaps a more in-depth assessment would be interesting, but i only want to hear positive results, haha!

« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:05:08 pm »
It appears that I am too old to be a veteran athlete. 

« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:11:31 pm »
You certainly are, Ian - and are likely to remain so!  You might want to ask yourself (I know I have!) whether, if you had known you would in the future be discriminated against in this way, you would even have started riding a bike at all.

Yours. etc.

Brigadier Ffont-Tonbridge Wells (and bar).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #20 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:11:54 pm »
It appears that I am too old to be a veteran athlete.

Me too - phew!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:42:19 pm »
Moved over from the health and fitness thread where I originally posted

Quote from: hellymedic
Leicester University is doing a study into Atrial Fibrillation in endurance athletes.
https://le.ac.uk/cardiovascular-sciences/research/afletes-mri?fbclid=IwAR3W2VTGvTCqqL3VVcTGZPhk2s1Oz0p0VYvxlUkUZ0DpHh6ga82ETbTCcIE_aem_AXP951Rh7iHQ9jmRGFtKzGSumZZ-AAAz-GdJusLeyt-FHehPAVWrCiDxuaDBG07DCzpxRVn8xdodZAwa7z2P1_fz
As ever, they are only interested in men   :facepalm:  >:( >:( >:(
This study will use MRI (a type of scan) to look at the hearts and brains of older male “veteran” athletes with and without atrial fibrillation as well as non-athletic controls.
I am getting rather fed up of living in a world with a drip-drip-drip that says I'm not relevant.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:43:43 pm »
That's me excluded on sexist and ageist resons

« Reply #23 on: 11 April, 2024, 12:57:39 pm »
That's me excluded on sexist and ageist resons

Off topic, but is your avatar one of the cairns on nine standards rigg?

« Reply #24 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:04:11 pm »

It's a joke, Phil:  AFlete = athlete with Atrial Fibrillation, commonly referred to as AF.  Don't forget, this whole thing looks impressive but I'm betting there will be a significant student involvement, therefore self-referential in-jokes are to be expected!

This where I groan …