Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24hr TT 2018  (Read 25519 times)

Re: Mersey Roads 24hr TT 2018
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2018, 11:41:44 am »
Did the Anfield 100 yesterday in preparation for the Mersey roads 24 , great event and was a bit of a eye opener as to how hard it was to sustain power over 20mph (road bike with tri bars) I’m now looking longingly at a cheap cannondale slice 🙄and I’m sure I won’t look that bad in a skin suit😳
I found that hard too - so much so that I didn't manage it!  I, however, will not be seen in a skinsuit this year and I am sticking to the tried and trusted steel-framed fixed-gear bike.  When I mysteriously get loads of money, I will acquire a really blingy bike and a special helmet.  Till then I'll be struggling along - lol!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2018, 11:51:28 am »
Well done Pieman! 

If you want free speed on a budget, I'd recommend:

Getting a Bell Javelin or Giro Selector - good aero helmets that can be had pretty cheap these days
Getting a steeper stem if you want to lower your front end
Practicing lots and lots in your tribars so you can stay in them for the duration of the event
Ignoring any advice that says you have to put your saddle massively up and forward to use the tribars
Considering a different saddle if you find your current one uncomfortable in the TT position.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #27 on: 29 May, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »
all the aero tweaks combined make quite a difference, so worth investing in (even if to sell them on afterwards). i did a tt training ride yesterday (150k in 4h) on a tt setup and only needed 225w; similar time/speed on a standard road bike would require ~270w which i would be able to sustain for only a couple of hours max.

« Reply #28 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:53:23 pm »
If you want free speed on a budget, I'd recommend:
Getting a Bell Javelin or Giro Selector - good aero helmets that can be had pretty cheap these days

I have two Bell Javelins I'll likely be parting with when I get back from TransAm. One Large that helped win me the National 24hr and one smaller (I presume Med).

« Reply #29 on: 29 May, 2018, 02:40:45 pm »
I’m currently using a Cannondale Synapse with tt bars fitted , I did Lel on it last year, I have a giro attack helmet which I picked up cheap but in all honesty I think my old Kask infinity feels more aero .
I was contemplating buying a cannondale slice 105 🙄 as it’s meant to take up to 28mm tyres (not that I would run that on the front) and I think I could get a more comfortable position on it .
Held position at the weekend apart from the odd hill and rise which I stretched out but it’s not exactly comfy hurts my old back a bit.

« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2018, 10:24:32 pm »
Right, so training appears to be going ok.  Averaging around 18mph over 3 and 400km Audax rides on the Ti armchair.  Yes its got aero bars but it also has a dynamo hub and mudguards and luggage, and the geometry is so relaxed it's practically horizontal. The routes haven't been exactly flat either so feeling optimistic atm. 

I'm actually aiming for the Club's national veterans record which is 415 miles.  Out for a 400km Audax on Saturday on the "fast" carbon bike with as little kit as I can get away with.  Still a bit lumpy (1800m ascent) but some long (80km) flat roads across the fens should let me get a proper feel for the setup and position.  We'll see how it goes.

Stretch goal is the Mens overall record at 469 miles but I have a suspicion that may be a bit beyond me.  You never know though, on a good day with a fair breeze I might get lucky but I have a feeling I'm too far the wrong side of 40 for a 20mph average to be realistic.

So, question for the guys who know what they are doing. Is it worth going full aero for the ride?  The bike is a Ridley Noah SL with TT bars attached so a bit aero but not super slippery.  I'll be running on 50mm carbon wheels and I can probably lay my hands on an aero helmet, but beyond that I'm not sure whether I can stretch the budget to a skin suit, disc wheel etc. 

« Reply #31 on: 31 May, 2018, 11:02:41 pm »
From what you have said I reckon you'll be fine without worrying about skinsuits and the like.  Whatever bike you ride, just make sure it is comfortable.  A 400 audax ridden hard is ideal prep/test.  To quote an old saying, don't rush too much when you're riding, but go as fast as you can when you're stopped.  If you're doing it unsupported, have all your drinks and snacks ready in a plastic crate, watch the weather forecast like a hawk and have your clothing changes planned with a few backup items in case it gets colder than you think.  Know in advance what hydration you're going to use (100% electrolyte replacement can be too much and might need alternating) and keep an emergency gel or two on your person.  Travel as light as you can be happy with.  Some take puncture repair, others don't.  You are unlikely to need more than one bottle cage.  Fit new batteries to everything, if you fit new tyres, ride them for 200 miles before the event.  Use long rides beforehand to find out what your palate likes in these situations, for example I would rather eat my own date/sultana flapjacks,  ham & mustard sandwiches and egg custards than energy gels and I like the odd can of Coke every now and then.  Get loads of rest the 3 days leading up to it and stay off the booze.  Don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lie down, as the old saying goes.  Grease up well before you set off and try to have a number 2 before you set off.  Be prepared to push yourself in those potentially depressing hours of darkness - don't let your speed drop then. If you overtake me say 'go on lad, you're a hero, you can do it'.  I'll be the one on fixed with the Barrow Central Wheelers kit.  Then say the same thing to yourself.

rob

« Reply #32 on: 01 June, 2018, 02:56:45 pm »
Aero kit will help but you need time to get used to it.   I do a load of long rides on the TT bike with full kit as a test - I'm doing a 12hr in a couple of weeks with full race rig.   The faster lads are fully aero optimized.    Sounds like your current set-up will do.   If you can stretch to a skinsuit it's the best bang for buck change that can be made as long as it fits OK - I'm on my 3rd.   The club ones were shocking (zip failure) but my Nopinz one is brilliant.

Revellinho's tips on food are all valid.   Dr Hutch describes long TTs as eating competitions and he's not far off.   Find a diet formula that works for you.

Sounds like you'll be on the Poacher 400 this weekend.   Might see you there.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:34:01 am »
If you can borrow some race wheels from a club mate, the advantage of them is that they're completely free speed: there's no getting used to them like there is with riding an aggressive position or wearing a skinsuit or aero helmet. Well, maybe there is if you run a 90mm front wheel and get blown sideways, but other than that they just slot in and go.

« Reply #34 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:27:32 pm »
Aero kit will help but you need time to get used to it.   I do a load of long rides on the TT bike with full kit as a test - I'm doing a 12hr in a couple of weeks with full race rig.   The faster lads are fully aero optimized.    Sounds like your current set-up will do.   If you can stretch to a skinsuit it's the best bang for buck change that can be made as long as it fits OK - I'm on my 3rd.   The club ones were shocking (zip failure) but my Nopinz one is brilliant.

Revellinho's tips on food are all valid.   Dr Hutch describes long TTs as eating competitions and he's not far off.   Find a diet formula that works for you.

Cheers Rob, Good to meet  you on the Poacher.  Was a good ride in the end despite the occasional attempted drownings from Mother Nature.  When did you finish out of interest?  I didn't see you again after Burge-le-Marsh and got back to Newark at about 10:30pm.

Food wise I think I know what works from riding Audaxes.  I tend to go for dairy based drinks like chocolate milk, or smoothies with smaller amounts of solid food. Having said that I ended up scoffing a couple of Ginsters Pasties on the Poacher that seemed to go down well. The Coop do some really good Granola Squares as well that can be cut in half and wrapped individually.  Less sickly than normal energy bars.  Isotonic tablets in the eater bottles and a pack of dextrose tablets in the top tube bag for emergencies.  I find them easier on the stomach and more refreshing than gels.

« Reply #35 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:30:27 pm »
If you can borrow some race wheels from a club mate, the advantage of them is that they're completely free speed: there's no getting used to them like there is with riding an aggressive position or wearing a skinsuit or aero helmet. Well, maybe there is if you run a 90mm front wheel and get blown sideways, but other than that they just slot in and go.

Thanks Karla, I've got a set of Giant carbon deep section wheels (55mm) I'll be using for the TT that I picked up cheap on Facebook.  Hopefully they will make a difference.

« Reply #36 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:13:39 pm »
Any news on where HQ will be - is it going to be on that industrial estate-type place on the outskirts of Wrexham again?

rob

« Reply #37 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:58:38 pm »

Cheers Rob, Good to meet  you on the Poacher.  Was a good ride in the end despite the occasional attempted drownings from Mother Nature.  When did you finish out of interest?  I didn't see you again after Burge-le-Marsh and got back to Newark at about 10:30pm.

Food wise I think I know what works from riding Audaxes.  I tend to go for dairy based drinks like chocolate milk, or smoothies with smaller amounts of solid food. Having said that I ended up scoffing a couple of Ginsters Pasties on the Poacher that seemed to go down well. The Coop do some really good Granola Squares as well that can be cut in half and wrapped individually.  Less sickly than normal energy bars.  Isotonic tablets in the eater bottles and a pack of dextrose tablets in the top tube bag for emergencies.  I find them easier on the stomach and more refreshing than gels.

You seemed to be ticking along quite well.   I stuck to my eat on the move and don’t stop much strategy which seemed to work well.   I got really soaked around Boston and just after Spalding where there was absolutely no shelter. 

I had a schedule for 16hrs and was about 15mins ahead at Spalding but then felt really drowsy for the last 90 mins which scrubbed a bit of speed off.   This isn’t normal for me but I had had a mid-week work trip and got to Lincoln very late Friday night.   I finished just before 10pm so pretty happy.   I was eating chips in the car just near the station at 10:30 so probably only just missed you.

« Reply #38 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:32:10 pm »

You seemed to be ticking along quite well.   I stuck to my eat on the move and don’t stop much strategy which seemed to work well.   I got really soaked around Boston and just after Spalding where there was absolutely no shelter. 

I had a schedule for 16hrs and was about 15mins ahead at Spalding but then felt really drowsy for the last 90 mins which scrubbed a bit of speed off.   This isn’t normal for me but I had had a mid-week work trip and got to Lincoln very late Friday night.   I finished just before 10pm so pretty happy.   I was eating chips in the car just near the station at 10:30 so probably only just missed you.

I was chasing the weather into Boston so missed the worst of it.  Must have just missed you at Spalding, the rain hit just as I was arriving at the control so I sat on the forecourt and waited it out.  Don't envy you riding though it, it was positively biblical.

rob

« Reply #39 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:57:29 am »

I was chasing the weather into Boston so missed the worst of it.  Must have just missed you at Spalding, the rain hit just as I was arriving at the control so I sat on the forecourt and waited it out.  Don't envy you riding though it, it was positively biblical.

So, getting back to the 24hr.   As a guide I did 461miles 2 years ago - I was about a stone heavier and self-coaching at the time.   I have gained over all of the other TT distances since then.   Given how close we were in terms of time I'd suggest that your upper target is achievable - just remember to feed and hydrate properly and keep moving as much as possible - I was stopped for just over 12 minutes last time.

Best of luck.   I'm going to take a call on riding after the National 12hr champs on the 17th.

« Reply #40 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:46:02 pm »
- Say hello to everyone who passes you and everyone you pass, including people watching and cheering - feeding off their energy, camaraderie and positivity will make all the difference.

- Have a massive breakfast, then a bit more food at 11 o clock then at least you're setting off fully fuelled. But start eating and drinking ASAP, within the first hour.

- don't worry about going fast, but try avoid going slow (true for all TTs tbh)

- try to always keep moving, in 2016, Tim Bayley was only stopped for 6 mins.

- stretch regularly, maybe every 20 mins or so to allow yourself to stay as aero as possible for as long as possible

- enjoy the event, it is fab  :)

« Reply #41 on: 06 June, 2018, 05:36:53 pm »

So, getting back to the 24hr.   As a guide I did 461miles 2 years ago - I was about a stone heavier and self-coaching at the time.   I have gained over all of the other TT distances since then.   Given how close we were in terms of time I'd suggest that your upper target is achievable - just remember to feed and hydrate properly and keep moving as much as possible - I was stopped for just over 12 minutes last time.

Best of luck.   I'm going to take a call on riding after the National 12hr champs on the 17th.

Cheers Rob, I'm reasonably confidant about the lower target, still not so sure about the upper but we'll see what happens on the day.  I suspect a lot will be down to the course and the weather.  Had a look at it on RWGPS and while it's certainly not hilly it's not really pan flat either, certainly not in Holland Fen territory.

Good luck with your 12 and possibly see you on the day.

« Reply #42 on: 06 June, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »
- Say hello to everyone who passes you and everyone you pass, including people watching and cheering - feeding off their energy, camaraderie and positivity will make all the difference.

- Have a massive breakfast, then a bit more food at 11 o clock then at least you're setting off fully fuelled. But start eating and drinking ASAP, within the first hour.

- don't worry about going fast, but try avoid going slow (true for all TTs tbh)

- try to always keep moving, in 2016, Tim Bayley was only stopped for 6 mins.

- stretch regularly, maybe every 20 mins or so to allow yourself to stay as aero as possible for as long as possible

- enjoy the event, it is fab  :)

Cheers Mike, I'll do my best on the going slowly bit, although it is all relative.  Keeping moving is going to be the issue for me I suspect as while I have a couple of folks (my wife and Ian our club chairman) who have offered to come and crew we are still going to be short handed I think so there may be times where I have to stop to refuel etc.  We still need to work out a routine for that anyway though so might be able to work around it.  Time to brush up on the blackmail material for some of the guys in the club:) 

Stretching is something I do anyway as I have neck issues that make getting a really good aero position difficult, my setup is aimed more for comfort than being as aero as possible.

« Reply #43 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »

As someone who was near the back of the field when I did it a few years ago (maybe I should have trained for it properly) I was very impressed with the fact that nigh on everyone said hello or something encouraging to me every single time I was overtaken (and this was a very regular occurrence). I hope I reciprocated each time...

But, important question, has someone been out to put the single orange glove on the edge of road on the run in to the PH roundabout on the QB circuit?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #44 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
Warm up ride; done.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:37:44 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #46 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:02:50 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #47 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:13:26 pm »
Warm up ride; done.

Surely this wins post of the year?

« Reply #48 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:57:14 am »
Warm up ride; done.

Gethin went on to do the then fastest British ride at PBP 2003. An absolute record at PBP is problematic, but the current UK fastest is there for the asking, within the 28kph maximum speed.

There are stipulations about road race Elite riders which might cause problems, but Gethin got round them.

« Reply #49 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:37:15 am »
If Carlsberg did warm up rides 🍻😉