Author Topic: Salmon  (Read 1030 times)

Martin

Salmon
« on: 27 January, 2009, 10:24:28 am »
Along the lines of the chicken thread, can someone settle an argument at work as the web seems very secretive about it;

1. There is to all intents and purposes no such thing as real wild salmon available to the consumer
2. The "Alaskan wild salmon" Sold for about £22/kg isn't actually wild
3. We all need to reduce drastically the amount we eat
4. Escaped farmed salmon is drastically affecting the wild population through parasitic infestation and basic poor health.
5. There are no "farmed salmon free" rivers left in the world and most are run by Norwegian companies.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:57:32 pm »
Along the lines of the chicken thread, can someone settle an argument at work as the web seems very secretive about it;

1. There is to all intents and purposes no such thing as real wild salmon available to the consumer
2. The "Alaskan wild salmon" Sold for about £22/kg isn't actually wild
3. We all need to reduce drastically the amount we eat
4. Escaped farmed salmon is drastically affecting the wild population through parasitic infestation and basic poor health.
5. There are no "farmed salmon free" rivers left in the world and most are run by Norwegian companies.

Somewhat Yank-centric but still a useful source of information: Monterey Bay Aquarium - Seafood Watch.  I saw the programme when I was in Monterey at the New Year and it is very good.

The Marine Conservation Society is also worth a look.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor