Author Topic: Clapham Junction to Roehampton Gate  (Read 1463 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Clapham Junction to Roehampton Gate
« on: 22 November, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »
This Sunday I'm meeting some friends in Richmond Park at Roehampton Gate.  Arriving by train at Clapham Junction, is the best way just to blast along the A3, A205  then up past The Priory?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

tallsam

Re: Clapham Junction to Roehampton Gate
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »
Pretty much. I live by CJ and work in East Sheen so thats roughly my daily commute. Although I go down A3209*/B306 (rather than A205) as I enjoy it more (its not necessarily any less busy or dangerous).

* Most days I actually miss out the A3209 and go from Trinity Road roundabout past McDonalds along the waterfront till Wandsworth Park, coming out at B306. This is definitely less busy but a bit stop start/slow.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2011, 09:40:34 pm »
I think so. Sunday morning so the traffic won't be too bad.

Alternative would be to head up Putney Hill, right along Putney Heath and then through Roehampton but it's a bit more fiddly and no quicker.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
Yes, definitely.  Cycle lanes for much of it anyway.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:53:09 am »
If you want something with fewer main roads, you could try this http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=330575

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2011, 08:52:57 pm »
Reporting back:

joftek, thanks for going to the trouble of posting your route. We set off with the idea of using it. I printed out the cue sheet, but as the printer is somewhat borked, couldn't print off the accompanying map. And I failed to study thje map in detail before we left.

Oops.

So we got to Borrodaile Road and decided it ended in a dead end, so spun round and eventually found ourselves on Garrat Lane. Couldn't see signs for Girdwood Road ( the next on the list), tried asking my phone the way, but couldn't hear it over the traffic, so ended up in Wandsworth on the A3. Ho hum.

Bike route toaster seems to miss cues when it goes off road, so no pointers for heading into parks or going on contra flow cycle lanes. No matter. I should have prepared better. And it was a grand day out.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »
If you want something with fewer main roads, you could try this http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=330575

I'm sorry but no wonder the op got lost!  I live round there and would have struggled with that route!