Author Topic: Which home trainer ?  (Read 4993 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Which home trainer ?
« Reply #25 on: 11 December, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »
Let us know when you're this good - Keirin riders on rollers.

;)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #26 on: 11 December, 2010, 05:33:35 pm »
^ Not as good as them, but not as bad as this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E2tF0tK7P_s&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E2tF0tK7P_s&rel=1</a>
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:43:41 pm »
I'm not a happy bunny.  I was on my Antares rollers regularly throughout the early part of the year and finding them very satisfactory.  But I've just discovered that over the (so called) summer the bearings have given up.  There's no obvious sign of sweat damage and they've been stored inside the house.  They spin freely enough by hand but as soon as I put the bike on them the noise is terrible.  Not a good buy.  :(
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #28 on: 27 November, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
RoJ, if you can dismantle it enough to get access to the bearings, you'll probably find that they are bog standard ones, readily and cheaply available. I managed to replace the bearings on an older set of Tacx rollers. HTH
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #29 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »
RoJ, if you can dismantle it enough to get access to the bearings, you'll probably find that they are bog standard ones, readily and cheaply available. I managed to replace the bearings on an older set of Tacx rollers. HTH

Thanks for that eck, assisted by some further googling I have now extracted the old bearings and have new ones on order - going rate seems to be £3-£5.  Somewhat cheaper than a new trainer  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #30 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
Thanks for all your thoughts so far.  I've just been reading some very positive reviews of rollers on Wiggle.  It would appear that they are loads more enjoyable than resistance trainers and still provide a good workout.  What does the panel think ?

I have a turbo & a set of rollers.
Rollers are my preference.