Author Topic: you don't pay road tax  (Read 6212 times)

Martin

you don't pay road tax
« on: 09 September, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »
until recently I countered this (entirely true as nobody does) accusation with "I pay for a tax disc on 2 cars; I'm just not driving one right now"

with just the one car now (and that's likely to be being driven while I'm cycling) I offer to pay my proportional contribution towards the upkeep of the roads; fiver do it? (even though it's probably pennies)

does anyone else get this crap? if so what do you say?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: you don't pay road tax
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »
If it is online and anonymous, I explain that as roads are paid out of general taxation and I earn over £100,000 I clearly pay more for the roads than they do, however many cars they have.

It it is offline I'll say the same. Mess with their branes.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2013, 09:19:15 pm »
I don't waste breath on morons.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2013, 09:20:35 pm »
How about "No! And I don't pay for parking, petrol, servicing at a garage, a driving license, plates, windscreen wash, anti freeze or furry dice!  Great isn't it?!"

I don't know about you but I always think up this crap about 30 seconds after it is required.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »
You could always ask them whether this car....

...and these ones...

www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/exempt-road-tax

...don't have as much right to be on the roads as they do

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2013, 09:33:25 pm »
The zero emissions vehicle line is the best but the big car and superbike brag gets used occasionally.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »
Chappie I knew years & years ago was bawled at for jaywalking in Edinburgh and came out with (at least so he said): "I have the right to walk on the Queen's highway, madam, you are merely licensed to drive on it." Something of the sort might apply to cycling. At the very least it might engender some gratifying irritation.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »
He was right, you don't pay road tax you pay vehicle excise duty which has nothing to do with road maintenance.

« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2013, 10:06:56 pm »
My stock response to "you don't pay road tax" is:

"By Jove, you're right, I don't. Hang on, neither do you because there is no such thing".
By that point I have usually ridden off into the sunset leaving them flummoxed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2013, 10:31:57 pm »
I don't think I've ever had anyone challenge my paying of road tax.  I'm evidently missing out.

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »
I don't think I've ever had anyone challenge my paying of road tax.  I'm evidently missing out.

Me neither! And I've only been told to get on the cycle path twice (though one of those was where there was no cycle path, which probably counts double).

All those carefully-prepared witty rejoinders have gone to waste.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
"Get on the cycle path" "Get on the motorway then"
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:26:33 pm »
I've been told to get on the cycle path a few times, but most of those were Basil.

« Reply #13 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »
"Get on the cycle path" "Get on the motorway then"

"There isn't one" drew a close to one conversation.

« Reply #14 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:33:07 pm »

Nor me.

Me neither! And I've only been told to get on the cycle path twice (though one of those was where there was no cycle path, which probably counts double).

I've had that, too. Except I didn't realise there wasn't a cycle lane until afterwards and so wasted some breath trying to explain why I wasn't in the non-existent lane (turning right at a junction, so had there been one it would not have been a sensible place to be... :facepalm:).

« Reply #15 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »
My approach is usually to ignore random stuff yelled from cars. Usually.

« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:15:11 am »
Mockery.

Laugh and hoot gleefully, then say (with very mild condescension) "Aw bless, you're a little bit hard of thinking aren't you?".

Then laugh and smile lots more as you pedal away looking fit, healthy and happy.

Alternatively, punch them in the face and smash their windscreen with your D lock..

One of those two.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #17 on: 10 September, 2013, 06:49:13 am »
"I don't pay road tax? Nor do ambulances or fire engines, should they be off the roads too?"
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2013, 06:53:27 am »
Precise language varies according to aderenaline levels, but the argument ususally gets the contempt it deserves.

Unless I remember to don the serenity bubble first (better).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2013, 07:34:20 am »
My approach is usually to ignore random stuff yelled from cars. Usually.
Usually this.

But on the few occasions I feel the need to respond, I'll tailor it to the situation.

If on the road, I use the "Yes I do.  On my car that I've left at home".  (Not entirely true at the moment)

If at work or in the pub, they get the full derisive and sarcastic version, which includes such things as:
Of course I don't -there's no such tax. - If you're paying road tax, someone is taking you for a fool. - It amazes me that you can spend so much money on something yet have no idea of what you are paying for and actually buying. etc
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #20 on: 10 September, 2013, 10:28:46 am »
I very rarely get shouted at from a vehicle.  When it has happened I have made out what it was they said.

Once in France someone was yelling and gesturing from a black merc just before a very descent.  Just in time I twigged they were telling me I'd left pannier straps undone.  The smart arses >:(   Of course I had meant to leave them undone.  It was a test.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:16:33 pm »
I've had a few occasions on which motons have raised the issue of taxation. One of the most memorable was about here

http://goo.gl/maps/wz4Uj

where a Jag driver, which had just let through the car in front of me, tried to bully me out the way when Mrs. Wow and I were on the tandem. I wasn't having any of that and carried on, forcing him to stop.

"Pay yer tax next time!" came the moronic whine from the driver of the said car.

There was another amusing even on an April WARTY when several of us cycled past a woman who was, quite discourteously, trying to pull out in front of a group of cyclists. Her reference to road tax was met with hoots of derision from about a dozen of us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »
I don't know about you but I always think up this crap about 30 seconds after it is required.
The French have a term for it: l'esprit de l'escalier.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #23 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »
I've had neither of these but like others I roundly ignore the existence of those who shout from cars.  If I did get it I'd probably just wittily tell them to fuck off ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #24 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »
I've had that question a number of times, most recently as a pedestrian (on a country lane with no pavement, for having the temerity to stand my ground and force Mr Van Man to slow down)...  >:(

He was VERY angry when I told him "piss off, you don't either!". Maybe I shouldn't have sworn at him, but he was clearly a massive tool...