Author Topic: you don't pay road tax  (Read 6236 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: you don't pay road tax
« Reply #25 on: 10 September, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »
Does 'piss off' not count as swearing these days then?  Must be true that the only real one left is the c word ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »
Only time I got "You don't pay road tax!" shouted at me I replied "Neither do you" and the guy then looked really sheepish.

« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2013, 10:51:44 pm »
Someone did tell me the story of his response to being told "you don't pay road tax", which was to point out the driver's out of date tax disc ;D

« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »
Has anyone tried shouting "It's not a hypothecated tax"?

It doesn't have the same ring as the usual string of one syllable words.
Cars! In my bike lane.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2013, 01:08:18 am »
Only had it shouted once. Stuck with the simple 'neither do you' response and I don't think the cretin knew what to say to that so just shouted something incoherent.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2013, 04:24:07 pm »
Someone did tell me the story of his response to being told "you don't pay road tax", which was to point out the driver's out of date tax disc ;D
Think that might have been mine - it happened to me at the traffic lights half way up Claypath in Durham. I was sitting at the red light alongside a car whose driver was haranguing me for jumping red lights. When I pointed out the error of his ways about red light jumping (why else were we having this conversation whilst waiting at a red light?), he then jumped on to the road tax issue. That was when I noticed that his tax disc was 3 month's overdue...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2013, 05:22:07 pm »
Chuck 50p in loose change in through their window.
"Well, there's your refund for today.  Now eff off!"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2013, 07:35:27 pm »

I like that. Sadly most of these twunts are already passing you as they yell, so you only really get the chance to give a friendly wave and a smile (which pisses some people off exponentially).

BUT
I am now considering training the Club Run Choir to yell
woooooooaaaarghlllbar
in unison at them, so they know how it feels.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »

I like that.

*fesses up*
Not actually my original.

From either the previous, previous place, or or perhaps even earlier from URC or even Urban Cyclist.  Can't remember.

« Reply #34 on: 11 September, 2013, 11:28:09 pm »
The one time I had someone yell it at me I just looked confused and replied "Shit, where's my car gone?" Sadly I couldn't see the reaction, I like to feel they laughed a hearty laugh and mentally score the match in my favour.

« Reply #35 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
"No, it's a bike." is my usual deadpan answer.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 12 September, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »

I like that. Sadly most of these twunts are already passing you as they yell, so you only really get the chance to give a friendly wave and a smile (which pisses some people off exponentially).

BUT
I am now considering training the Club Run Choir to yell
woooooooaaaarghlllbar
in unison at them, so they know how it feels.
ROFLOL etc  ;D ;D ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #37 on: 22 September, 2013, 12:58:55 am »
I had the Road Tax Conversation at work a while ago.  I explained that it was abolished in the 1930s.  The response: "Oh, I didn't know about that.  When did they bring it back in then?"   ???
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2013, 07:57:26 am »
A guy coming towards me on a very narrow back lane used the 'get off the road YDPRT' line, and I pointed at his passenger and said "nor does she - tell her to get out NOW"
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #39 on: 22 September, 2013, 09:07:08 am »
That's an excellent one that I hadn't thought of.
Thanks, it's now loaded and ready to fire.

Toady

« Reply #40 on: 22 September, 2013, 09:55:20 pm »
I saw a Jaguar ad at a motorway service station this weekend, offering free something and three years free "Road Fund Licence".  It's hardly surprising that many people still labour under the misapprehension that VED is hypothecated when a term that was withdrawn 77 years ago is used like this.  I wonder why the advertisers chose this particular phrase, rather than something more accurate, or even the more common "Road tax".  After all, advertising bods think very carefully about stuff like this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 23 September, 2013, 10:29:30 am »
ASA?  They're promising something they cannot provide.
Getting there...

« Reply #42 on: 23 September, 2013, 12:38:55 pm »
...advertising bods think very carefully...

ROFLMAO

Going by the adverts on the TV yesterday afternoon whilst watching the last stage of the ToB, it is my informed belief that most advertising bods have probably destroyed their critical faculties from ingesting way too much Bolivian Marching Powder or watching too much French TV and the adverts shown thereon.

In the absence of a "B" Ark, they are all first up against the wall when I lead the panzers down Whitehall...  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Toady

« Reply #43 on: 23 September, 2013, 12:46:30 pm »

ROFLMAO

Going by the adverts on the TV yesterday afternoon whilst watching the last stage of the ToB, it is my informed belief that most advertising bods have probably destroyed their critical faculties from ingesting way too much Bolivian Marching Powder or watching too much French TV and the adverts shown thereon.

In the absence of a "B" Ark, they are all first up against the wall when I lead the panzers down Whitehall...  :demon:
In the past I have worked with such people, I can report that they do think very carefully about such things as wording in adverts.  Of course, they don't use conventional logic for their thinking, they use an alternate utter cobblers style of logic.   But be sure that the words "road fund licence" will not have been chosen at random in preference to "Vehicle Excise Duty".  There will be a reason.  It may well be a bit on the nonsensical side, but there will be one.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #44 on: 23 September, 2013, 01:26:17 pm »

ROFLMAO

Right, can you and Mr Larrington:

a) Come to some agreement on just who is leading the panzers down Whitehall.
b) Get a move on.  These B Ark denizens aren’t going to kill themselves you know.  Well, rarely and not in enough quantities to be helpful.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #45 on: 25 September, 2013, 08:58:15 pm »
I saw a Jaguar ad at a motorway service station this weekend, offering free something and three years free "Road Fund Licence".  It's hardly surprising that many people still labour under the misapprehension that VED is hypothecated when a term that was withdrawn 77 years ago is used like this.  I wonder why the advertisers chose this particular phrase, rather than something more accurate, or even the more common "Road tax".  After all, advertising bods think very carefully about stuff like this.

The Mini dealership in Derby does the same thing from time to time
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #46 on: 26 September, 2013, 01:53:33 pm »

ROFLMAO

In the past I have worked with such people, I can report that they do think very carefully about such things as wording in adverts.  Of course, they don't use conventional logic for their thinking, they use an alternate utter cobblers style of logic.   But be sure that the words "road fund licence" will not have been chosen at random in preference to "Vehicle Excise Duty".  There will be a reason.  It may well be a bit on the nonsensical side, but there will be one.
It sounds posh, dunnit?

Think estate agent speak, e.g. 'the dwelling benefits from a kitchen'.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 17 March, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »
I have just been involved in a minor skirmish on the Nissan Leaf (the leaf is currently zero-rated for VED) website about roads and who they are there for, mentioning that the original reason that roads were tarmacamdamed was as a result of pressure form the cycling fraternity.

Someone retorted "And they pay how much in direct taxation to build and use them? :facepalm:" to which a third party answered "About the same as us." :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #48 on: 17 March, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »
Someone retorted "And they pay how much in direct taxation to build and use them? :facepalm:" to which a third party answered "About the same as us." :thumbsup:
You need a sticker or bike jersey that says "My other bike is a Leaf! That doesn't pay tax either!" followed with a big  :thumbsup: or  :smug:.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #49 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »
Try going into the post office and asking to pay your Vehicle Excise Duty. Then persist when they stare blankly at you. Even more blankly if ypu just say you're there to renew your VED. I did and the person behind the counter hadn't a clue what I was talking about. I showed them my veh docs and they eventually cottoned on and said, "Oh Tax Disk'. If the disk issuing people haven't a clue how are Joe public supposed to know.

But what read gets me is if you have ever calculated the cost per year of running a car these days, the fraction of the overall cost which VED is quite small.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/