Author Topic: Camera-Phone Photos  (Read 119950 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Camera-Phone Photos
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2008, 11:37:48 pm »
This

and this

are spectacular.

Who cares about circles of confusion. Care about the image, not the technology!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 05 November, 2008, 11:38:57 pm »

I never realised that Dunwich was  so, well, GREY!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:37:02 am »
Those fireworks pics are nice (particularly the second one). :thumbsup:

I never really use the camera on my phone but this thread is making me think I should use it a bit more. Of course, I'll never get a decent sized print out of them.  :P  ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2008, 01:09:32 am »
I recently got an SE W902, which is the Walkman version of the C902. The C902 is supposed to be a very good camera and the W902 has most of the same hardware - the differences are mainly in the software (the C902 has a few more camera-specific functions while the W902 has more Walkman-specific functions). Handily, it comes with an 8GB memory card, so there's no excuse for not taking loads of pics.

It's a 5MP camera and offers various options and presets but I'm not much of a photographer and usually just use it on fully automatic settings. Here are some snaps I took in the Lake District last week (it was very grey overhead when I took them):

The view down the valley from Castlerigg stone circle, just outside Keswick:

Nearing the top of "The Struggle", heading over Kirkstone Pass:

Taken from same spot as last pic but looking back down the hill:

Random scenery in Thirlmere:

Halfway up Hartside Pass (strictly Pennines rather than Lake District):

Same view, but the light suddenly changed:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:25:34 am »
Wow, what a spectacular looking ride and nice photos of it too.

Interestingly your phone has 100x the storage of my first IBM PC (and I'm talking Hard Drives not memory here)

Keep them coming

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:29:22 am »
Those fireworks pics are nice (particularly the second one). :thumbsup:

I never really use the camera on my phone but this thread is making me think I should use it a bit more. Of course, I'll never get a decent sized print out of them.  :P  ;)

It's about knowing WHEN to use a camera phone.  I think this thread has helped me understand what situations are best suited to using it.

My next mission is to try and get some decent portraits (hmmm, portraits with a wide-angle lens, should be interesting)

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:35:54 am »
Interestingly your phone has 100x the storage of my first IBM PC (and I'm talking Hard Drives not memory here)

Yeah, my first computer was a C64 so I feel slightly bewildered by the capacity of phones these days. What's really incredible is the diminutive proportions of the memory card - it's an M2, which is barely fingernail sized.

d.

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:09:21 am »
Here's one taken locally on the Newbury Downs.

Getting cloud detail AND accurate forground exposure involved a bit of 'processing'

SE K800i 3Mp

« Reply #33 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:52:53 am »
I would have been much better off with the dSLR had I been bothered to carry it around.

And one of the main points of the thread, a decent camera phone (or even a crappy one) is better than no camera.

I think the firework photos show just what can be done with a modern phone

A decent ‘cybershot’ type mobile phone is a camera, just a slimline one with communications functions.  It all depends on what your hassle/bulk:quality threshold is as to whether you use another style of camera, or not, when out and about.  While camera-mobile phones optically, may never reach the standards of good compacts which are similar in size; they are convenient.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 06 November, 2008, 02:38:27 pm »
Mine is a phone first and camera second though.

In fact, by use, it's an MP3 player first, phone second and a camera third.

When I was looking for a new phone I made sure it had decent MP3 and Camera functions as well but primarily I was buying a phone.

I would never buy a camera this poor* just because it had communications functions.

*Although it produces decent images for a phone, it is still only the equivalent of a £30 camera (due mainly to a lack of zoom and comparitively poor lens)

Having said all that, I just realised that I have a nice phone with a good MP3 player and an acceptable camera, 2Gb of storage, MS Outlook Synch, Internet Acces and an FM Radio for £100.  A device that would have been science-fiction not so long ago.

« Reply #35 on: 06 November, 2008, 03:27:25 pm »
Mine is a phone first and camera second though.

In fact, by use, it's an MP3 player first, phone second and a camera third.

When I was looking for a new phone I made sure it had decent MP3 and Camera functions as well but primarily I was buying a phone.

I would never buy a camera this poor* just because it had communications functions.

*Although it produces decent images for a phone, it is still only the equivalent of a £30 camera (due mainly to a lack of zoom and comparitively poor lens)

Having said all that, I just realised that I have a nice phone with a good MP3 player and an acceptable camera, 2Gb of storage, MS Outlook Synch, Internet Acces and an FM Radio for £100.  A device that would have been science-fiction not so long ago.

Fairynuff, I’d generally take a camera (compact - in first instance) and a phone, if I was going on a ‘ride’, as opposed to a commute – but then my phone’s camera facility is pretty hopeless anyway, so not much problem with this decision.  I have to say mobile phone cameras don’t inspire me much, but then I haven’t had the technological revelation yet... ;)  I’ll just have to take the chance that nothing vaguely interesting happens from the ‘aesthetic POV’ on my commute, or whenever else I decide not to take my camera – until I move up in the world of mobile phones... :) 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 06 November, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

I find the alarms, and calander event alarms very useful.
I've always thought that there are several other functions that could be added.

How about electric razor?  ;D

Might be difficult to hear if you're using the phone function at the same time.  ;)

£100?  :o  Mine was only £80.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:22:46 pm »
While camera-mobile phones optically, may never reach the standards of good compacts which are similar in size; they are convenient.

This one looks pretty close to being a bona fide compact digital camera with added phone:
Sony Ericsson - Overview
               - C905

d.

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:47:09 pm »
While camera-mobile phones optically, may never reach the standards of good compacts which are similar in size; they are convenient.

This one looks pretty close to being a bona fide compact digital camera with added phone:
Sony Ericsson - Overview
               - C905

d.

I imagine that the lens will be the limiting factor again although "Smart Contrast" may be useful if it works well.  I had to do some post-production on the image above because my K800i finds it difficult to reproduce a wide range of contrast well.

In fact I have to admit that the photo above is a composite of 2 almost identical images (1 exposure for foreground and 1 exposure for sky)

« Reply #39 on: 06 November, 2008, 07:23:04 pm »
The C905 still probably wouldn't match up to the £56 Sony-Cyber-shot-S730
Sony Cyber-shot S730 Digital Camera - Silver 2.4" LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo ;)

and if you can do with a small PAYG Sony Ericsson (or other).

Depends what you need I suppose... I don't use my phone much.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #40 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:09:51 pm »

I find the alarms, and calander event alarms very useful.
I've always thought that there are several other functions that could be added.

How about electric razor?  ;D

Might be difficult to hear if you're using the phone function at the same time.  ;)

£100?  :o  Mine was only £80.

You can get a sound effect for an electric razor for the Palm Smartphone ... sounds good, useless shave though

Rob

LEE

« Reply #41 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:33:55 pm »

It wouldn't even come close technically but that's not the point.  It's about how far camera-phones have come rather than how far cameras have come.

The Sony-Cyber-shot-S730 isn't an MP3 player, Alarm Clock, Radio, Internet Browser, Calendar, Notepad, Telephone, SatNav or Electric-Razor simulator. 

« Reply #42 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:43:25 pm »

It wouldn't even come close technically but that's not the point.  It's about how far camera-phones have come rather than how far cameras have come.

The Sony-Cyber-shot-S730 isn't an MP3 player, Alarm Clock, Radio, Internet Browser, Calendar, Notepad, Telephone, SatNav or Electric-Razor simulator. 

Yes, I'm playing devils advocate really. :demon:  But phones do eat camera dust...  If one feels as though one may not want to miss out on a good image opportunity - take the mobile (with biking essentials such as MP3 player, alarm clock etc  ;) )  & also a decent slim compact digicam.  You won't notice the extra weight, but you will the extra IQ.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:30:25 pm »

Taken tonight on arriving home.  The lighting is courtesy of my head lamp - Joystick Maxx2.
Motorolo K1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #44 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:00:31 pm »
Sony Ericson K800i

I like this picture.

Victoria Square. Spring 2008
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #45 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:16:49 am »
I love this thread.  I have been a most enthusiastic camera-phone user for the last 4 years and until I got a DSLR two weeks ago have never used anything else. 

I am a happy snapper so have been more interested in the image rather than the technical aspects.  Even so, the picture quality has just got better as time has advanced.  Currently I have a Sony Ericsson K810i which is fab. 

All the pictures I have posted on YACF have been taken with it.  But, when I get a minute I will post a selection of the best on this thread.

« Reply #46 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:39:55 am »
Can we see some 100% crop examples too?   ;)

LEE

« Reply #47 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:08:40 am »
Can we see some 100% crop examples too?   ;)

Will create some 640x480 pixel crops and post them tonight.

K800i resolution is 2048 x 1536 and my screen is 1280 x 1024 so a 100% image on my puny 15" screen would be 22" x 17" (if you see what I mean, i.e.the full image is 1.5x my screen dimensions approx) That's a good fit for an A2 print (16.5 × 23.4) but that's definitely pushing it unless the subject matter is very important to you. 

A4 or 10x8 prints would be perfectly fine for most people though.

FyPuNK

« Reply #48 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:34:14 am »
Dont normally use the phone, this is a couple from this years punk festival in Blackpool, the first is a certain Mr Lloyd Grosman (playing guitar on the right)..

And The Vibrators......

Mine is a clapped out Nokia 6600 but its bomb proof and it needs to be with me.

spindrift

« Reply #49 on: 07 November, 2008, 10:46:43 am »