Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473125 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2375 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:19:30 pm »
Noticed the advert for a Web Content Manager near the back mind; I, and at least one other person, offered to do such a thing several years ago, nice to see AUK finally catching on...

They've had one for quite a while, but the current one is leaving, hence the advert.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2376 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:24:39 pm »
Did my article make it in there?  If so, could someone send me a piccy please, I'd like to see how it turned out.

« Reply #2377 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
Did my article make it in there?  If so, could someone send me a piccy please, I'd like to see how it turned out.
It did. Hence my comment above...

Noticed the advert for a Web Content Manager near the back mind; I, and at least one other person, offered to do such a thing several years ago, nice to see AUK finally catching on...

They've had one for quite a while, but the current one is leaving, hence the advert.
I seem to have deleted a bunch of my text. The advert is for a Web Content Manager, but in the copy it is for Editor(s). Two completely different positions IME.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2378 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:33:19 pm »
That you're so over it?  I aim to please   :demon:

If you could send me photomagraphic evidence by email if be much obliged m'lud.

« Reply #2379 on: 06 December, 2018, 12:53:41 pm »
That you're so over it?  I aim to please   :demon:

If you could send me photomagraphic evidence by email if be much obliged m'lud.

I sent it via Facebook, it's about 40mb.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2380 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:17:26 pm »
We'll call this one "the hilly edition" — every article seems to involve climbing some great amount, either col-bagging or Everesting or "my legs are so shot with all this climbing".  The only reference to Flatlandia appears to be a pull-quote about training in East Anglia didn't prepare the riders for the gazillion fathoms ascended.  Just saying.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2381 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:42:23 pm »
We'll call this one "the hilly edition" — every article seems to involve climbing some great amount, either col-bagging or Everesting or "my legs are so shot with all this climbing".  The only reference to Flatlandia appears to be a pull-quote about training in East Anglia didn't prepare the riders for the gazillion fathoms ascended.  Just saying.

Everesting on Arrivee? have we crossed a line? Is it not the exact opposite of a randonnee?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2382 on: 06 December, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »

Everesting on Arrivee? have we crossed a line? Is it not the exact opposite of a randonnee?

there were some references to audaxes and the pbp2019 as her target, so not totally off-topic.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2383 on: 06 December, 2018, 04:00:06 pm »

We need some articles about headwinds, Wetherspoons, fixed gear ratios and so on. ACME and Cambridge Audax and Audax Club Lincolnshire, get scribbling over Christmas?

« Reply #2384 on: 06 December, 2018, 04:56:35 pm »

We need some articles about headwinds, Wetherspoons, fixed gear ratios and so on. ACME and Cambridge Audax and Audax Club Lincolnshire, get scribbling over Christmas?
I know (for me anyway) there’s less climbing to the Witham ‘spoons start than the Tewkesbury one, they both have two coffee machines, and serve local beer!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2385 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:05:53 pm »
Let's put it this way:

the furthest cycling activity from Audax is indoor cycling on a stationary bike, the second furthest is cycling around a track and the third furthest is Everesting.
Everesting does not recognise Audax, in the sense that you could climb 8848 vertical metres (or whatever is the altitude of Everest) as part of a randonnee but that would not count, so why should the Audax UK magazine endorse this activity with a cover quoting even George Mallory?

As for the challenge, it is beyond me, chapeau to anyone who Everested, but it has been done to death... once I looked whether there was a meaningful climb in the UK that had not been Everested yet and the answer is no, they've all been everested already...

I think Arrivee should be about long distance cycling, end of...

Rant over  :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2386 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:01:03 pm »
Non-audax features have appeared in many issues: touring, col-storming, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2387 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:12:01 pm »
... and on balance I support this.

Audax itself is a very narrow field, if you look at it in the context of the big wide world of cycling. rare is the Audaxer who ONLY rides his/her bike on brevets, and most of us have some interest in the other branches (even if only from our armchairs).

So I'm quite happy to read about other stuff that members are doing, in moderation. Having said that, I too am pretty bored of Everesting now! But not every article has to be aimed at me ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2388 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:29:01 pm »

.. but all related to long distance cycling... Everesting means going up and down the same stretch of road until you have clocked 8848 vertical metres of climbing. typically we are talking a 2-3 miles stretch of road, as British climbs are short...

Hard, no doubt a grind, but as audacious as a day-long spin class

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2389 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:35:44 pm »
To me a day-long spin class sounds far more arduous than Everesting or, say, Mille Penines; at least mentally.  :demon:

I don't think Naish Hill is even 2 miles long but she did ride 125km in total.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2390 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »
To me a day-long spin class sounds far more arduous than Everesting or, say, Mille Penines; at least mentally.  :demon:

I don't think Naish Hill is even 2 miles long but she did ride 125km in total.
So not even worth a point. Pah!

[ ;) ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2391 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:48:04 pm »
Some would doubtless like it to be worth one and a quarter points – though maybe not as she didn't do it in winter!

Chris S

« Reply #2392 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
Let's put it this way:

the furthest cycling activity from Audax is indoor cycling on a stationary bike, the second furthest is cycling around a track and the third furthest is Everesting.
Everesting does not recognise Audax, in the sense that you could climb 8848 vertical metres (or whatever is the altitude of Everest) as part of a randonnee but that would not count, so why should the Audax UK magazine endorse this activity with a cover quoting even George Mallory?

As for the challenge, it is beyond me, chapeau to anyone who Everested, but it has been done to death... once I looked whether there was a meaningful climb in the UK that had not been Everested yet and the answer is no, they've all been everested already...

I think Arrivee should be about long distance cycling, end of...

Rant over  :P

Some of us who, previously at least, would have referred to ourselves as "Audaxers" are currently engaged in some manner of Everesting, on indoor bikes. I should take my indoor-trainer over to Middlesbrough cycletrack for the hat trick!

Your comment gives me another idea though. There have been some photos/articles in the past that appeared to promote long distance cycling in wholly unsuitable winter conditions. I think - for the sake of balance - we should have a "What I did in my Christmas holidays" article, detailing all the many and varied ways riders have broken pelvises, collar-bones, wrists and other important items of anatomy, riding in wintry conditions.

For my part, I'm quite happy to ride my bike indoors at this time of year.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2393 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:32:24 pm »
Overnight temps are still in double figures in parts of the UK so speak for yourself :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2394 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:56:27 pm »
12 degrees here tonight.  :) Raining though.

I'm not sure that the North Coast 500 is audaxing if you do it with a support van, but if it's a good story, people might want to read it.

« Reply #2395 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:35:28 pm »
 Not Audaxing at all. They may have met up only at controls. I have not checked the perm but guess there are precious few of them on that route..

Ben T

« Reply #2396 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:42:57 pm »
Does seem like most of arrivee isn't about audaxing. More about touring than audax, seems to me.

« Reply #2397 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:58:36 pm »
The first article is about doing 145 miles (miles!) over four days and the last is about someone doing a <100 km/day tour. The only UK calendar events that get a write up are the Mille Pennines and Mille Cymru. It's certainly an odd issue.

But then it's always been a bit like this. I guess it's aspirational? And I suppose it's at the mercy of what people want to write about.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2398 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:32:05 pm »
Yes, be the change and all that...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Chris S

« Reply #2399 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »
Aside from being a bit niche (there's a few handfuls of folks in the country who either could or would ride those events), there's nothing about those two events that's not pure UK Audax; challenging weather, stabby hills, bus shelters.