Author Topic: How can you tell if a property is insured?  (Read 915 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
How can you tell if a property is insured?
« on: 29 November, 2023, 08:18:01 am »
There is nothing in my late mother's paperwork to evidence any kind of house insurance, and no payments from the bank account for annual or monthly premiums.  The insurance companies taking direct debits are for pet and car insurance only.

I have insured the property to be on the safe side but, if it's double-insured, this leads to issues in the event of a claim where the insurers argue with each other and only pay 50% each.  Is there any register of (at least) buildings insurance to track down any pre-existing policy?  I'm sure the conveyancing solicitors would have told my mother to put insurance in place when she exchanged contracts earlier this year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: How can you tell if a property is insured?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:34:29 am »
There is nothing in my late mother's paperwork to evidence any kind of house insurance, and no payments from the bank account for annual or monthly premiums.  The insurance companies taking direct debits are for pet and car insurance only.

I have insured the property to be on the safe side but, if it's double-insured, this leads to issues in the event of a claim where the insurers argue with each other and only pay 50% each.  Is there any register of (at least) buildings insurance to track down any pre-existing policy?  I'm sure the conveyancing solicitors would have told my mother to put insurance in place when she exchanged contracts earlier this year.

I'm assuming unlikely - but is there a mortgage on the property?   If so then I think the solicitor would have to confirm cover to the lender (that's info that I recall from a discussion with my (late) solicitor brother a few years ago)

... I would think someone at your place of work may know?

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:36:15 am »
As Rob says. But as it’s not a legal requirement I doubt there’s a central database. The onus is on the owner.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:42:06 am »
You did the right thing to insure it, you are not the policyholder on the original, there is a period of grace but the policy doesn't automatically transfer.  It may be possible to transfer or amend it, but it would be a different policy and maybe a different premium, for example because it's an empty property.  If you found the policy then the estate could probably cancel it and get a refund on the unused portion.  Usual caveat of course, that if in doubt get professional advice,  I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:06:30 am »
I cannot find any evidence of a database in the same way that there is for car insurance.  A gap in the market perhaps ...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2023, 11:14:01 am »
I cannot find any evidence of a database in the same way that there is for car insurance.  A gap in the market perhaps ...

Arguably good practice to have a national database but as house/contents insurances are purely optional why should there be?   

Out of curiosity do lenders still have "block buildings insurance policies" for properties they have in mortgage? (When I worked for a building society quite a while ago buildings insurance was bundled with the loan)

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:03:30 pm »
I am thinking of consequential loss caused by fire, flood etc. from a neighbouring property.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:25:28 pm »

Arguably good practice to have a national database but as house/contents insurances are purely optional why should there be?   

Out of curiosity do lenders still have "block buildings insurance policies" for properties they have in mortgage? (When I worked for a building society quite a while ago buildings insurance was bundled with the loan)

My Mortgage agreement states something along the lines that if they believe I have not insured the property then they will do it and charge me appropriately.

Didn't the Banks and Building Societies get a bit of a rap for force bundling things not that many years ago?