Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 374713 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1800 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1802 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1803 on: 26 November, 2018, 09:15:27 pm »
The first thing I thought when I saw that image was “that’s Bradley Stoke”. That was before reading any of the text.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1804 on: 27 November, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
The Galactic Empire took over Bradley Stoke in the 1990s recession, when the houses were cheap. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1805 on: 29 November, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
Human remains recovered from River irwell. Police say no suspicious circumstances.

We may have achieved a new nadir in police indifference.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1806 on: 30 November, 2018, 09:16:50 am »
Local journalism at it's best:

Anybody reading this article in the Welwyn and Hatfield Times would be forgiven for thinking it's now illegal to ride mountain bikes in Welwyn Garden City..

Boy fined for riding off-road bike in Welwyn Garden City

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/off-road ... -1-5799187

At no point in the article does it mention the offernder was riding a *motor*bike. Riding an off-road bike without L Plates or insurance is perfectly legal. Riding an off-road motorbike on the other hand...   ::-)

Some people might accuse me of being pedantic, but this to me is a good example of shite reporting.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1807 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »
Human remains recovered from River irwell. Police say no suspicious circumstances.

We may have achieved a new nadir in police indifference.

Followed by one in the journalist's use of English in the subtitle.  ".....who it belonged to?"  What's wrong with "...to whom it belonged"?

The country's gone to the dogs...….

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1808 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »
Local journalism at it's best:

Anybody reading this article in the Welwyn and Hatfield Times would be forgiven for thinking it's now illegal to ride mountain bikes in Welwyn Garden City..

Boy fined for riding off-road bike in Welwyn Garden City

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/off-road ... -1-5799187

At no point in the article does it mention the offernder was riding a *motor*bike. Riding an off-road bike without L Plates or insurance is perfectly legal. Riding an off-road motorbike on the other hand...   ::-)

Some people might accuse me of being pedantic, but this to me is a good example of shite reporting.

That one seems to come from the police, for whom the meaning is presumably obvious from context.  I've seen police forces tweeting about "off-road bikes" without clarifying that they mean motorcycles on several occasions.  They're probably the same people who'd describe pedal cycles as "pushbikes".

ian

« Reply #1809 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:42:14 pm »
As a non-professional cyclist, I'd assume 'off-road bike' to be the motorised version. If they meant a cycle, they'd say 'mountain bike.' I doubt, for once, that I'm unusual in this assumption.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1810 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
As a non-professional cyclist, I'd assume 'off-road bike' to be the motorised version. If they meant a cycle, they'd say 'mountain bike.' I doubt, for once, that I'm unusual in this assumption.

As a cyclist I'd use "mountain bike" for a pedal bicycle designed for off-road riding (unless I was being particularly technical), and I'd only ever talk about pushbikes in the context of the Birmingham cycling campaign group, but I wouldn't assume a non-cyclist would get the terminology correct.

Similarly, if you say 'scooter' I'd likely think of a skateboard with steering, of the type popular with teenagers of all ages.  But a motorcyclist or police officer might think of a class of motorcycle.

I've also learned to say 'bicycle' rather than 'bike' around QUILTBAG women, lest they apply the wrong set of stereotypes.

It's all about context.  And news headlines are notoriously (and often deliberately) bad at that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1813 on: 18 December, 2018, 03:45:23 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1814 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:52:39 pm »
Council struggles with name for new authority...

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/2764051/name-decided-for-bucks-new-council/

Worth a read.

For example, I am very pleased to see my colleagues in the districts have accepted the name of the council will be Buckinghamshire Council, as opposed to Council McCouncilface.

:)

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #1815 on: 19 December, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
Bucks can't have Brokenshire, as one comment suggested - that has to be reserved for Northants!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1816 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:14:04 am »
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17309084.three-peaks-hikers-urged-to-stop-blasting-out-queens-we-are-the-champions-at-11pm/?fbclid=IwAR3NBTCEgAkJOpFRSMxZnkoQs3kKVIvRELOjGo5POOhpNLP9g2gxoLbinVs

Mr Welch said a section of the village suffered from noise because hikers began celebrating when the pub at the end of the walk was in sight. He said: “They’ll have the ghettoblaster on at 11 o’clock at night playing We Are The Champions and various songs that seem crop up with a 12-hour walk on the peaks.”
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1817 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:21:52 am »
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17309084.three-peaks-hikers-urged-to-stop-blasting-out-queens-we-are-the-champions-at-11pm/?fbclid=IwAR3NBTCEgAkJOpFRSMxZnkoQs3kKVIvRELOjGo5POOhpNLP9g2gxoLbinVs

Mr Welch said a section of the village suffered from noise because hikers began celebrating when the pub at the end of the walk was in sight. He said: “They’ll have the ghettoblaster on at 11 o’clock at night playing We Are The Champions and various songs that seem crop up with a 12-hour walk on the peaks.”

I presume that's "mobile phone" values of "ghettoblaster", something which hasn't been seen in the wild since about 1992.

Seems to me that this would be best dealt with by means of an informal agreement for the pub not to serve people who disturb the residents.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1818 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:26:19 am »
I'd be much more impressed by walkers doing the 3Peaks in 12hours each carrying a proper 80s ghettoblaster.

(I won't insist that they carry enough batteries for 12hours.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1819 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:28:00 am »
I'd be much more impressed by walkers doing the 3Peaks in 12hours each carrying a proper 80s ghettoblaster.

That should totally be a thing.  The final leg to the pub being completed in mildly sarcastic silence.  Proper leaky D-cells too.  Anyone caught sneaking lithium will be disqualified.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1820 on: 24 December, 2018, 06:14:57 pm »
Pictures of Hull in chaos as last-minute shoppers cause Christmas nightmare

For the benefit of visually impaired readers, the article contains several photographs of car parks with cars in them, and of BRITONS queueueueing[1].  Truly a Christmas nightmare.

[1] Brits failing to queue properly is surely a sign of the apocalypse...

ian

« Reply #1821 on: 24 December, 2018, 06:37:25 pm »
'Trolleys left unattended.'

I am not ashamed to say that I cried.

« Reply #1822 on: 26 December, 2018, 02:38:17 pm »
And elsewhere people are asking if retail is dead!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1823 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:18:12 pm »
Super.  ;D
Our (not very) supermarket was ram raided on Christmas night.  They took 4 bottles of whiskey.
That's it.  4 bottles of whiskey.
Surely you're supposed to empty the stock room of all the large boxes of spirits and fags?
I love this town.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1824 on: 28 December, 2018, 01:01:31 am »
At least they didn’t take any whisky.
It is simpler than it looks.