Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65940 times)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #175 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:23:45 pm »
I'll probably break with tradition and ride the day before unless I find a finish controller

This will almost certainly be the case as we have very sadly lost last year's helper  :(

And this year none of your Lidl bunnies, only the best for each rider  :P better go and get another 40 before they go up

I will probably be on my trike so do I get 1.5 bunnies?  Just looking for calories to fight the extra rolling resitance
Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #176 on: 26 February, 2016, 06:50:26 pm »
Dang. Aged parental are visiting this Easter si I'm grounded.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

rob

« Reply #177 on: 08 March, 2016, 11:53:31 am »
Entered.   

There's a train that gets into Huntingdon @ 07:52.   @Martin - Is that cutting it a bit fine or will you be hanging around for a few extra minutes after 8am ?

Thanks

Rob

Martin

« Reply #178 on: 08 March, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »
Entered.   

There's a train that gets into Huntingdon @ 07:52.   @Martin - Is that cutting it a bit fine or will you be hanging around for a few extra minutes after 8am ?

no problem, I'm riding the day before now so will be hanging around at the start until at least 0830  :)

rob

« Reply #179 on: 08 March, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »
Entered.   

no problem, I'm riding the day before now so will be hanging around at the start until at least 0830  :)

Thanks.   All booked in.    Looking forward to a day out on different roads.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #180 on: 08 March, 2016, 06:33:16 pm »
One of the best rides in the calendar for sociability I have found. Given the lack of hills and prevalence of wind, groups tend to form and stick together most, if not all, the way round sharing the workload. With the best will in the world the fens can be a little uninspiring :P but the social aspect more than makes up for it.

« Reply #181 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:06:07 am »
Big Saxon's 60th birthday, special bunny please!

rob

« Reply #182 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:39:34 pm »
My train tickets have arrived today.   I seem to have bought 2 - curse my fat fingeredness.

If anyone is travelling from Kings Cross, please drop me a PM and you can have the spare return for 15 quid.   Face value - £17.60.

Cheers

Rob

Martin

« Reply #183 on: 10 March, 2016, 10:22:56 am »
My train tickets have arrived today.   I seem to have bought 2 - curse my fat fingeredness.

If anyone is travelling from Kings Cross, please drop me a PM and you can have the spare return for 15 quid.   Face value - £17.60.

Cheers

Rob

I'll email all the entrants to see if anyone NOTP wants it  :)

Martin

« Reply #184 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:16:36 pm »
eek! where can I source vegan chocolate bunnies?

entries up to 87, entries close 2359 Good Friday unless I run out of cards beforehand

« Reply #185 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:13:36 pm »
eek! where can I source vegan chocolate bunnies?

entries up to 81, entries close 2359 Good Friday unless I run out of cards beforehand

LOL  ;D

Worry not, I am happy to bring my own  :thumbsup:

I am on a Hase Pino with Forgotrafe and am VERY much looking forward to this one. Last minute decision today to try and get something organised and it all seems to be working out. Yay for brilliant friends  ;D
Does not play well with others

scottlington

« Reply #186 on: 23 March, 2016, 10:08:15 am »
Looks like wind will be a highlight of the day on Saturday if the predictions are to be believed. Monster tailwind on the run out followed by an absolute grovel back to Huntingdon. I'd be very happy to get in a decent sized group for the ride back, share the work. I know the return roads from Spalding well and I'm dreading being caught out there on my own with what looks like a 20-30mph block headwind!  :sick:

Likely play it by ear once I get to Kings Lynn and look to join forces but if anyone does fancy sharing the load look me up at the start!  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #187 on: 23 March, 2016, 10:25:26 am »
Looking like the first time I rode it as a DIY; only then I had 90k rain and headwind back from Boston.

Gail the Lynn ferry operator is expecting you all so say thanks if you take it across.

Note, trains from Spalding (if required) back to Huntingdon only run 1538 and 1657, the other services involve a bus

scottlington

« Reply #188 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:04:08 pm »
Martin - how many riders have indicated they are riding tomorrow? Given the forecast for Saturday I'd be up for switching to Friday but I love the social aspect of this ride and want to see if there are decent numbers. If there are only a few, I'll probably stay with Saturday (even though with 40mph headwinds predicted I'll likely not be able to pedal!).

« Reply #189 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »
Martin - how many riders have indicated they are riding tomorrow? Given the forecast for Saturday I'd be up for switching to Friday but I love the social aspect of this ride and want to see if there are decent numbers. If there are only a few, I'll probably stay with Saturday (even though with 40mph headwinds predicted I'll likely not be able to pedal!).
The answer to your question is in your inbox  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #190 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »
SHould link to weather Bagel for Saturday http://goo.gl/4TZHGw   Updated 0500 25/3.  Note this is based on an average of 20kph, faster and you might miss the rain slower and you get wetter.  The wind however is consistent.  Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

« Reply #191 on: 25 March, 2016, 11:00:14 am »
I've just looked at weatherbagel at 20kph, and the headwind looks stronger. Eek!

Still undecided whether (or weather) to enter.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #192 on: 25 March, 2016, 01:00:47 pm »
Note, trains from Spalding (if required) back to Huntingdon only run 1538 and 1657, the other services involve a bus
There are engineering works (scroll down more than half way) between Huntingdon and Peterborough. Looks as though trains are running during the day, but not after 7pm (nor early for those travelling from the north). Could affect late bail-outs including from Whittlesea - you'd get to Peterborough but then be faced with a replacement bus.

scottlington

« Reply #193 on: 25 March, 2016, 01:24:04 pm »
That's a bugger as I was planning on getting the train from pboro.... getting back might be OK provided I finish before 7 but looks like I may have to ride to the start....

« Reply #194 on: 25 March, 2016, 01:36:37 pm »
I've been looking at the rising wind forecasts and 45mph gusts. Not sure I'm up to returning through those across the Fens - but Martin has put the effort in and it's a good route.

Now considering an SCE (shortened calendar event) with a planned bail at King's Lynn and return by train, ducking the highest winds and the bit when they are against.

Cowardice, I know.

scottlington

« Reply #195 on: 25 March, 2016, 02:11:41 pm »
I had figured I could bail as we pass pboro if it got too bad as I live just a mile or so off route. That'll still mean 50 k or so into that wind. Hoping to get into a group from kings Lynn so that doesn't happen but it's an option I'd considered. Sensible given the forecast to have such options.

Agree about the route, it's lovely and I'm going to ride as much as I can.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #196 on: 25 March, 2016, 03:33:16 pm »
Likewise
L

« Reply #197 on: 25 March, 2016, 07:29:01 pm »
Was most pleasant today (Friday), sunshine and winds that were tolerable.

One road closure at 165k, but I went down it anyway and just walked my bike through the roadworks....so not a problem.

Hope it works out for you guys tomorrow, good luck everyone!

« Reply #198 on: 25 March, 2016, 08:08:51 pm »
Today? Don't tell me I coulda done it on a nice, windless, sunny day, instead of doing the gardening!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

rob

« Reply #199 on: 25 March, 2016, 08:25:19 pm »
Had plans for today, so it has to be tomorrow.   Early start to get the train from Kings Cross in the morning.

If I get on with it I might avoid getting wet until the last bit.