Author Topic: Heart rate monitors: which to choose?  (Read 26686 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Heart rate monitors: which to choose?
« Reply #50 on: 23 May, 2015, 11:03:21 am »
Whilst browsing for a new cheapo/luddite unit, I see Polar are trying hard to lose me as a customer:
" POLAR FT1 Polar black

OCCASIONAL athletes to keep fit and practice their sport safely.
"

AND IN UPPER CASE! Hruumph.

<thinks ...>
What the hell, they're still only £29.99 ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #51 on: 23 May, 2015, 11:06:05 am »
Yeah, that's more or less what I meant by a 'proper' test (ie not just going balls-out for 30 seconds and taking the highest reading on your HRM).

The point is that you can't work out meaningful zones unless you know some meaningful numbers first. And, as others have said, if you know the numbers you don't really need to know the zones.

Ah, but do meaningful numbers translate into meaningful zones? And how many zones? 5 zones? 6? 7? With or without decimals? Most of the magazine-type training advice articles assume 5 zones, but some don't - and Strava, Endomondo and the other websites seem to each have their own idea (or multiple ideas) on which is The One True Way. I'm not training for anything serious, but I do like stats so I regularly test for my MaxHR and Threshold HR/Power. That's enough to let me work out in my head what HR is roughly Tempo. Do I really need any other numbers? In any case, in my relatively lumpy bit of Suffolk/Essex, any significant upward slope has me pinned on MaxHR, the flat bits are at Tempo and the downhill bits off the bottom (unless fear becomes relevant). Doesn't matter what training approach I try and follow, it is always thus!

TimC

« Reply #52 on: 23 May, 2015, 11:12:14 am »
Hmmm, I think I've shot myself in the foot, I should have done more research ...

I have a Garmin HRM which talks to my eTrex 30 although it seems to take a while to connect up.  I was hoping to monitor heart rate zones which the E30 doesn't do.  And my Garmin HRM won't talk to my iPhone which only receives Bluetooth not Ant+

Any ideas???
I use a Wahoo Tickr X ... cool blue and red flashing LEDs to confirm you're alive!

This almost makes up for the music, but not to the extent that I'm about to replace my many years old Garmin cheststrap.

You know you want to, nay need to!  :demon:

« Reply #53 on: 23 May, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
Hmmm, I think I've shot myself in the foot, I should have done more research ...

I have a Garmin HRM which talks to my eTrex 30 although it seems to take a while to connect up.  I was hoping to monitor heart rate zones which the E30 doesn't do.  And my Garmin HRM won't talk to my iPhone which only receives Bluetooth not Ant+

Any ideas???
I use a Wahoo Tickr X ... cool blue and red flashing LEDs to confirm you're alive!

This almost makes up for the music, but not to the extent that I'm about to replace my many years old Garmin cheststrap.

Actually, I'm already in danger of one of the new garmin straps with accelerometer, which would confirm that I bounce more and run with heavierbfeet than i used to... Only the need for a 620 watch has prevented me really.

Just occurred - I do have an old forerunner 305 spare if any one wants. You'll need a chest strap though.

Mike

« Reply #54 on: 23 May, 2015, 09:03:47 pm »
Tip.

If you are thinking of purchasing a HRM, buy one that you can program your zones and it gives a signal when you go through the thresholds.

Especially the upper zones as when one has been thrashing, memory of what HR is what zone becomes a bit wooly due to 'brain fart'.

Better still, hire a personal trainer to keep an eye on your HR for the effort you are exerting.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #55 on: 24 May, 2015, 10:51:38 am »
The off the shelf zone calculators are also bunkum (=~averages)
Er ... averages are NOT bunkum. What's your statistical knowledge like, Mr Castro?!?

More than adequate for this analysis thank you Mr c. I never said that averages were bunkum, only implying that using data derived from such averages to produce hard and fast "zones" should not be treated as gospel. Hope this helps to make it clearer for you  ;)

TimC

« Reply #56 on: 25 May, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »

Any ideas???

Actually, I'm already in danger of one of the new garmin straps with accelerometer, which would confirm that I bounce more and run with heavierbfeet than i used to... Only the need for a 620 watch has prevented me really.

Just occurred - I do have an old forerunner 305 spare if any one wants. You'll need a chest strap though.

Mike

The Ticker X uses internal accelerometers too, and gives stride analysis etc via the Wahoo app I believe. 'Tis a very clever gadget, not just a vehicle for flashy red and blue LEDs!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2015, 02:52:10 pm »
Tip.

If you are thinking of purchasing a HRM, buy one that you can program your zones and it gives a signal when you go through the thresholds.

Especially the upper zones as when one has been thrashing, memory of what HR is what zone becomes a bit wooly due to 'brain fart'.

Better still, hire a personal trainer to keep an eye on your HR for the effort you are exerting.

Like the Tickr the Mio allows different zones to be programmed in via an iPhone (and Android I think) app, you can choose between 3 and 5 zones and has coloured lights to show which zone you're in.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »
The off the shelf zone calculators are also bunkum (=~averages)
Er ... averages are NOT bunkum. What's your statistical knowledge like, Mr Castro?!?

More than adequate for this analysis thank you Mr c. I never said that averages were bunkum, only implying that using data derived from such averages to produce hard and fast "zones" should not be treated as gospel. Hope this helps to make it clearer for you  ;)
Marvellous. An excellent summary. Keep up the good work!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 25 May, 2015, 06:47:09 pm »
Tip.

Like the Tickr the Mio allows different zones to be programmed in via an iPhone (and Android I think) app, you can choose between 3 and 5 zones and has coloured lights to show which zone you're in.

Green = relaxed
Yellow = steady
Orange = getting tough
Red = thrashing it.
Black = ‘Game over’.

« Reply #60 on: 26 May, 2015, 01:06:38 pm »
I also use a Wahoo TkrRun or whatever it's called with bluetooth connection to the phone... been very handy for spinning classes (HR monitoring, and zones in particular) and running intervals (where I'm more concerned about my running cadence and smoothness). But their app is not as good at keeping hold of a gps signal on a phone as strava is...

« Reply #61 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:22:36 am »
I had forgotten until last night. I have a fourth HRM. It’s incorporated in my digital sphyg’.

You should try, as I did last night, slowly getting up to 85% of FTP on an ergometer and then doing a BP test with an automatic digital sphygmomanometer.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #62 on: 03 June, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »

Any ideas???

Mike

The Ticker X uses internal accelerometers too, and gives stride analysis etc via the Wahoo app I believe. 'Tis a very clever gadget, not just a vehicle for flashy red and blue LEDs!

And one arrived today! Thanks Tim. Will tryba run tomorrow lunchtime and see how thebrunning metrics work. It synced with my garmin watch and bike computer fine.

Mike.

« Reply #63 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »
I've just acquired a Wahoo Tickr as well. It says it wakes when it detects a heartbeat; either mine is very lazy, or I spend a remarkable amount of time each day dead.

TimC

« Reply #64 on: 04 June, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »
Most HRM straps struggle if your skin is dry - I always wet the sensor pads with a bit of spit when I put it on. That said, the Tickr X seems to be very good at picking up my heartbeat, but then I'm quite sweaty!

« Reply #65 on: 05 June, 2015, 12:46:39 am »
Most HRM straps struggle if your skin is dry - I always wet the sensor pads with a bit of spit when I put it on. That said, the Tickr X seems to be very good at picking up my heartbeat, but then I'm quite sweaty!

Certainly it seems to make a better contact than a 10 year old Garmin strap, but both can be reliable with a bit of saliva!

« Reply #66 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:13:07 am »
Yup, seen that in the FAQ - maybe my saliva is not good quality enough ;p

« Reply #67 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:13:49 am »
I always wet the sensor pads with a bit of spit when I put it on.

I used to do that, but now find it easier to have a glass of salty water handy, and add a few finger-loads from it, after I've put on the strap. This seems to have made the device much more reliable, too.

« Reply #68 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:15:32 am »
I use this for mine. I paid less than £2 and the bottle's lasted more than 12 months.
It's only when I first put it on it had a problem. By the time I've ridden to the gym it's nice and sweaty (eeew).

« Reply #69 on: 06 June, 2015, 05:46:55 pm »
I use this for mine. I paid less than £2 and the bottle's lasted more than 12 months.
It's only when I first put it on it had a problem. By the time I've ridden to the gym it's nice and sweaty (eeew).

I didn't want to say, but it's a rare thing for my skin to remain dry for long once I'm running or riding

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 06 June, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »
Bought a Decathlon own-brand unit today. Went for the 2nd cheapest - #12  just seemed absurd!
A new one every 2years will  be cheaper than battery faffing (sad - but I don't design the things  ::-)  )

So far it has no less functionality than my #35 Polar - quality may be the issue, but there's a 2year warranty.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #71 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:35:12 am »
I want a second heart rate monitor for my 810. Wahoo Tickr still everyone’s favourite ? I am curious about the zones set up as how do you see colours when it under several layers….

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #72 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:40:39 am »
I'm a fan of the Mio Link. It goes round your wrist and has coloured lights to show what zone - programmable - you're in.

« Reply #73 on: 30 June, 2017, 04:09:26 pm »
I'm now using broadcast mode on my vivosmart HR. I doubt it's as accurate as a chest strap but it's close enough, and I'm wearing it so don't forget to put it on.
It's rubbish for rowing though, too much arm action. My Bluetooth one doesn't do ANT+ and has been mostly retired.
The zones show on my 520 so it doesn't matter that my wrist is under layers.

« Reply #74 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
Thanks guys I just blew £760 on a pair of wheels so that's the end of that! Lol