Author Topic: New Forest Excursion - 12 May  (Read 3442 times)

Re: New Forest Excursion - 12 May
« Reply #25 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:38:56 pm »
I don't suppose anyone has the metreage climbed in the 160km, or at least the section till the 138km mark?
Paul G

My altimeter (which usually gives figures 20% or so less than GPS) made it about 950m for that 138km, if that was the same route as the 200 as far as Lepe (where it was a pity to be losing the good company of riders on the 160!)

« Reply #26 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
Good to meet Arthur and Emma, and very cheering to see you at Minstead too. Here's wishing you many more happy Audaxes!

Thanks for the compliment, but my (very limited) modesty is in some doubt, as it was only a 400 and not a 6! I got home at 4am after a couple of nice sleeps. Another dawn and more birdsong, not as fine and dry as Sunday though.

Very many thanks to John and Sheila, and Brian too, for laying on everything so thoroughly and kindly. Including a brilliant route, and a routesheet which always took good care of us. And thanks to lots of riders for remaining cheerful when I might not have managed it.

Must do the Perm version sometime. Perhaps when the Isle of Wight doesn't look as if it might get blown away into the mirky gloom (though the seaside bit was yet another highlight anyway).

Your modesty is intact, unlike my concentration and hearing - I was a bit worse for wear at the end! 'Only' a 400 indeed :) I'm sure we'll see you again soon as she's got the bug!

« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2013, 02:04:47 pm »

My altimeter (which usually gives figures 20% or so less than GPS) made it about 950m for that 138km, if that was the same route as the 200 as far as Lepe (where it was a pity to be losing the good company of riders on the 160!)

Thanks Tony - that number sounds about right - on the 160km there was only one more climb after Lepe, shortish but reasonably steep just after Beaulieu.

Paul G

« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »
Yes it was a nice ride although I did my usual daft trick of not eating enough and suffered a bit. My daughter's first Audax and she loved it, I couldn't keep up with her. She was so made up at the end because one of the riders had bought her a 200k badge but he had gone before we got back. John wasn't 100% sure who it was but did give me a likely name. Thank you so much! Emma kept going on about how friendly you all are.
The most humbling experience of the day for me was chatting to Tony Hull who had ridden down from Bradford-on-Avon to do the event and was riding back shortly afterwards to complete a 600. He was a little reluctant to tell me, a very modest man. Hope you made it back ok and good luck with the LEL.
And as above, thank you to John and Sheila (and the chap handing out food at the first control) for laying on a great ride and for the very nice food at the end, the beans on toast hit the spot!

It was Carl Laver

John

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:42:51 pm »
I struggled up the bit after the Lamb Inn in Nomansland up to Roger Penny Way. I swear the corner near the top is like a hairpin straight out of an alpine climb

Ah yes, Piper's Waight (I think that's how it's spelled) is an interesting one. I remember in my younger days cycling up the hill just so I could turn around and try to set a personal speed record going back down it. I got my first ever speedo over 30mph for the first time ever going down that hill.

And there's me thought it was all flat!  :(

It turns out it's Piper's Wait (according to the car park sign at the top), unlike the other spelling for Piper's Waight Woods (as I think it is) on the OS maps. Oh well, it's the nastiest climb of the 100. At the top a few riders my wife and I were loosely riding with asked about remaining climbs and I remembered the one after going under the A31 but thought that was it. I'd forgotten a couple more in the last few kms, not least the short hill up to the finishing line. Last year my wife had to abandon the ride just after going under the A31 so having made sure she was safe I did the rest pretty much flat out, so wasn't really thinking about hills much.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2013, 07:52:50 am »
Thanks for the various appreciative comments above

Event report and photos here:

]http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a383cf2438a2d3727bec120d6&id=db1125ca4a&e=[UNIQID]

Hope to see you at our next events on 1st September

John

« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »
I. Many thanks to the chap that stopped and provided some unknown powder as a cure. I hope you caught your train

Yes, I did thanks. But it meant missing the food at the end because I had to dash in and out of the hall to get to the station.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable day and an excellent route. Much quieter than expected.

Many thanks for organising. And thanks to Dave for the lift to the start.

EC

PS: The unknown powder is just concentrated magnesium. Best cure for cramps.

« Reply #32 on: 16 May, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
Many Thanks John, Sheila and helpers.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day (again). See you in September.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 17 May, 2013, 06:45:38 am »
And the advance new frame/mudguard stickers are very nice - more elegant than the old sort, and stick much better. Thanks!

« Reply #34 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:49:28 am »
And the advance new frame/mudguard stickers are very nice - more elegant than the old sort, and stick much better. Thanks!

Photo ?

The online medal/badge/sticker shop shows the old ones.

« Reply #35 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:36:11 am »
Photo ?
The online medal/badge/sticker shop shows the old ones.

Well, I've tried and failed, sorry! Can someone else succeed perhaps?

« Reply #36 on: 17 May, 2013, 01:14:09 pm »
Thanks for trying  :thumbsup:

I'm sure someone will post the image sooner or later elsewhere

« Reply #37 on: 18 May, 2013, 06:44:09 am »
Meant to say before - hello Hilary, good to meet you (though only at the start), and congrats on your 200. A good addition to your impressive list of 100s this year and all those AAAs!

« Reply #38 on: 19 May, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »
tonyh wrote
Meant to say before - hello Hilary, good to meet you (though only at the start), and congrats on your 200. A good addition to your impressive list of 100s this year and all those AAAs!

Thanks very much Tony, it was good to meet you too and I'm extremely impressed with you cycling to and from Bradford on Avon. 4 am is quite some time to arrive home!

« Reply #39 on: 20 May, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »
Thanks pedalsheep - riding in the small hours is a lot more delightful than it might sound! A first 200 is a whole lot more significant. Good luck with whatever you do next.

« Reply #40 on: 22 April, 2014, 06:48:35 pm »
Anyone have the route for this?  I can't find anywhere, unless I just not searching very hard...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

« Reply #42 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »
Cheers missed that. 

Should have seen that this is a 2013 thread when I searched, this year it's on Sunday 11th May 2014.   

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson