Author Topic: AUK Event Entry: Yr Elenydd 305  (Read 15973 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: AUK Event Entry: Yr Elenydd 305
« Reply #25 on: 16 March, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »
A cracking ride this, proper Welsh! 

I rode it last year in the rain (and the head wind up the Elan Valley, IIRC).  I found it particularly hard going, as I am an East Anglian flatlander, and I had run out of hill juice before Builth Wells, which is about a third of the way around and with all the Big Hills still to come.  A good deal of 24" gear in play, and strong encouragement and support from a lot of other riders saw a quick-enough finish in the dark, back at Upton Magna with 40 minutes to spare : 2013 report and pictures.

I won't be riding this year, because I will be in the US at that time, but I hope it goes well and doesn't rain too hard ... ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:57:05 am »
This is one not to miss !

I'm in, of course :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:35:55 am »
I'm in too.
I'm bricking it, but on only slightly.
Could turn out to be a great days walk for me.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:40:41 am »

I'm bricking it quite a lot.

We got up Yorks Hill on the tandem yesterday but I'm not sure that translates to managing this.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #29 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
As I've said B4 one of those hills is a bit of an anticlimax....

The devil you say?

:)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #30 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:44:20 am »

We got up Yorks Hill on the tandem yesterday but I'm not sure that translates to managing this.

Whilst there are a number of very, very steep hills, as is the way with these things, they are all mercifully short and using the 24, or even 48 inch gear in your case, will only add a few extra minutes onto your ride.  The staircase and the one after it are steep obviously, there's one tricky right hand turn onto a road towards Cwmystwyth where you're climbing already and you have to make a right onto quite a steep ramp from memory. 

There are plenty of much longer, more gentle ascents as well.

But, there are so many amazing views that you'll forget everything and just enjoy it - Irfon Valley in particular is mind-blowingly beautiful.  You're going to be just fine - you know what you're doing!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #31 on: 17 March, 2014, 10:49:54 am »

there's one tricky right hand turn onto a road towards Cwmystwyth where you're climbing already and you have to make a right onto quite a steep ramp from memory. 

There are plenty of much longer, more gentle ascents as well.

But, there are so many amazing views that you'll forget everything and just enjoy it - Irfon Valley in particular is mind-blowingly beautiful.  You're going to be just fine - you know what you're doing!

IMHO THAT climb out of Pont Rhyd y Groes is hardest of whole ride it is getting on for 2 km @ 10% average unrelenting and as Marcus says the RH fork is difficult as it gets even steeper as you start up it.

NOT Irfon Valley but later on in middle nowhere with phone box :)

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 17 March, 2014, 11:36:38 am »
http://goo.gl/maps/s0sNr

There's the right hand turn - the road you are on doesn't look steep on Streetview - it is!  (pan right and you'll see the 16% sign!).

That turn really ramps up and if you catch a bit of traffic it could be a bit tricky getting momentum up the first part of that road. 

But it's all worth it - Elan Valley coming up soon after this.

I am sure there are many other steep bits I have blocked from my mind - but the ride rewards you all the way with magnificent Welsh scenery. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 17 March, 2014, 11:57:49 am »
On fixed I had to walk some of about 4 hills - the Devil's Staircase obviously, and 2 other climbs on that section, and then just after the right turn on the 16% hill as mentioned above.

On the tandem we walked the Devil's Staircase (we didn't attempt to ride it) and nothing else. We finished with 15 minutes to spare.

« Reply #34 on: 17 March, 2014, 03:53:29 pm »
I'm bricking it even more than fboab

« Reply #35 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »
Just ensure that you are ahead of me and you will be sure to finish within the time limit.
I consider a finish on this event half an hour before the final control closes as a fast ride.
Some of my finishes had 13, 5, 15, and 20 minutes at the end. There was also the time that I finished 'on the minute'  :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #36 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »
Was just starting to look at the gpx track and routesheet (to prepare my gpx route file) and I came acros this in Dorrington at around 14km: http://goo.gl/maps/zn2Ec
Too many mudguards for a club run, at least one Carradice.
Did the Streetview cameras catch a previous running of this or a different AUK event?

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #37 on: 17 March, 2014, 11:40:37 pm »
I'm entered and looking forward to this ride.  I haven't done it before but see it as a Welsh equivalent to the marvellous Snow Roads in Scotland that I enjoyed in perfect conditions in 2012. Would that be an accurate comparison? I'm hoping it won't be the Rain Roads.

Some trepidation obviously, but I guess the challenge is part of why we ride audax.

As usual I'm not sure what bike to use ... all my bikes have negative features for audaxing.  The default bike for long rides is my super-comfy, very reliable, but noticeably slow Surly LHT; with its 19" bottom gear it can climb anything (slowly).

I'm too scared / sensible to try the ride on my Day One fixed. My aluminium framed bike will get me round fastest but with less comfort and with a 23T bottom sprocket will make the climbs significantly harder. ???

The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #38 on: 18 March, 2014, 07:32:21 am »
I'm entered and looking forward to this ride.  I haven't done it before but see it as a Welsh equivalent to the marvellous Snow Roads in Scotland that I enjoyed in perfect conditions in 2012. Would that be an accurate comparison? I'm hoping it won't be the Rain Roads.

Some trepidation obviously, but I guess the challenge is part of why we ride audax.

As usual I'm not sure what bike to use ... all my bikes have negative features for audaxing.  The default bike for long rides is my super-comfy, very reliable, but noticeably slow Surly LHT; with its 19" bottom gear it can climb anything (slowly).

I'm too scared / sensible to try the ride on my Day One fixed. My aluminium framed bike will get me round fastest but with less comfort and with a 23T bottom sprocket will make the climbs significantly harder. ???

Very long time since I rode Snow Roads--but from memory living up there 25 years ago roads used were much better surfaced, wider, less gravel etc on Snow Roads. There are quite a few country lanes on Elenydd in addition to wild moorland roads; some will / can be quite broken surfaces and there are some very steep descents as well as the obvious very steep ascents. Notable from last year was last long fast descent in dark, narrow lane , gravel, potholes down to Dorrington in last 20 km. I was very pleased to have a sturdy reliable bike for that with Avid discs.  :thumbsup:

I too though are wavering between bike choices on a steel frame with discs or lighter and faster Ti bike; but am likely go for steel / discs and IMO you`d be better off using Surly particularly if weather is anything but perfectly dry and settled :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Chris N

« Reply #39 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:22:40 am »
Was just starting to look at the gpx track and routesheet (to prepare my gpx route file) and I came acros this in Dorrington at around 14km: http://goo.gl/maps/zn2Ec
Too many mudguards for a club run, at least one Carradice.
Did the Streetview cameras catch a previous running of this or a different AUK event?

The yellow and blue jersey the guy at the junction is wearing is Lichfield CTC (now defunct, AFAIK) so I would guess it is a clubrun.  No-one I recognise (I used to ride with them) but the image is from 2009 - before the start moved to Upton.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #40 on: 18 March, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »
IMO you`d be better off using Surly particularly if weather is anything but perfectly dry and settled :o
Thanks for all that information. You've helped me answer the question. You'll see me on my blue LHT; with its Big Apple tyres it has something of a 4x4 aesthetic - and rides that way as well  :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #41 on: 18 March, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »
Is it just me or do the webpages at http://www.audax-salop.talktalk.net/route_controls.html and http://www.audax-salop.talktalk.net/route_map.html return 'Not Found' for others too ?

« Reply #42 on: 18 March, 2014, 07:13:57 pm »
IMO you`d be better off using Surly particularly if weather is anything but perfectly dry and settled :o
Thanks for all that information. You've helped me answer the question. You'll see me on my blue LHT; with its Big Apple tyres it has something of a 4x4 aesthetic - and rides that way as well  :thumbsup:

and I`ll be on my Land Rover grey / white forks Shand Stoater 853 with discs ---see my pic above /\  ;D

« Reply #43 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:01:32 pm »
Really disappointed not to be able to join the rest of you for this year's edition having thoroughly enjoyed the last two versions. As others have said it is a fantastic event over a stunning route. No doubt this will be the year you get perfect weather. If you enjoy this I would highly recommend Mr Undulates Wrekin to the Sea 300 Perm. Fractionally less climbing with the majority packed into the first half of the ride. The mountain road to Tregaron is by-passed but you get alternative and equally stunning Welsh wilderness and with a following wind a fast and relatively flat ride home, although the little bump on the way back from Machynlleth provides a good challenge.

« Reply #45 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:23:12 pm »
Agreed.

Apologies - no idea how I managed that !

« Reply #46 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
Really looking forward to my first Elenydd.

NeilV OTP recommended that I view the MilkRace riding up Devils staircase (on youtube) in order to get a sense of the climb.  Worth a quick view.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #47 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »
Really looking forward to my first Elenydd.

NeilV OTP recommended that I view the MilkRace riding up Devils staircase (on youtube) in order to get a sense of the climb.  Worth a quick view.

Thanks for that Lordy, I've reassessed my bricking it status and updated it from slighty to a lot.   ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #48 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:51:40 pm »
Not many of us will try to clamber up it on 42 x 21 though....

« Reply #49 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:53:26 pm »
What is the very worst that might happen?

Answer: you might get a little tired at some point.

Its a great ride.