Author Topic: How to use a route sheet  (Read 5614 times)

How to use a route sheet
« on: 22 April, 2014, 10:01:11 am »
Hi, i'm taking part in the Bryan Chapman memorial Audax this May and it will be the first time i have used a route sheet.  I'm hoping to get out and practise with the route sheet before the event but i just wanted to ask some questions so i can avoid some obvious rookie errors.

Firstly, i can see that you use your bike computer to measure the distance and then action the change in direction as the particular distance comes up.  What do you do if you've gone of course even for a short way so the distance on your computer is no longer going to match the route sheet? Is there a way of recalibrating a route sheet or is it just adding the difference in distance to each calculation in your head.

Secondly, I've built a small plate that i can mount on my handlebars so i can have the route sheet in front of me.  I was thinking of using a pointer or moving an elastic band down it as i pass each re-direction, i think it will work but is there a standard Audax way of doing it that's more efficient? 

Finally, i don't have a GPS so i will take a map as a back up.  If i get lost is it okay to simply try and get to the next control point by any route possible and pick up the route on the route sheet route as soon as practical or is the expectation that if you get lost you have to return to where you lost the route and pick it up there.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Marcus

Re: How to use a route sheet
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:17:46 am »
I'm quite happy to use a routesheet without a computer. Just estimate any necessary distances. E.g., you don't need to worry overly about distances to a 'T' junction or to a signed or otherwise qualified turn.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:19:48 am »
BCM is pretty easy navigation. There are not that many turns to make.

A map backup should see you right if you get lost.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:34:45 am »
Like Ian, I don't use a computer with the routesheet.  The instructions aren't usually dependent on knowing the distance.  The more important instruction is what the signpost (SP, or $ on the routesheet) says. The distances help with knowing if you've gone really wrong (next junction was supposed to be 1km, you've been going for 30 minutes) or knowing you don't need to expect an instruction for a while (10 km between instructions). The BCM is quite easy for instructions as it is mostly on main roads, so don't worry about it too much.  Back up map is useful if you get lost.

If you get lost, you are allowed to find any route to the next control, but be aware that in some parts of Wales the alternative road might go up the side of a mountain first.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:51:50 am »
Is there a way of recalibrating a route sheet or is it just adding the difference in distance to each calculation in your head.

In my experience, routesheet distances and computer distances very rarely match up exactly. You just have to make mental adjustments as you go along. The distances are still useful as a rough guide to when to expect the next turn.

I was thinking of using a pointer or moving an elastic band down it as i pass each re-direction, i think it will work but is there a standard Audax way of doing it that's more efficient? 

I have on occasion lost my place on the routesheet, but never to the extent that it's caused me serious problems.

I've seen people use scrolling routesheet holders, which are pretty nifty, but I don't think you can buy such things prefabricated - you have to make your own. I've never really felt the need to do so.

If i get lost is it okay to simply try and get to the next control point by any route possible and pick up the route on the route sheet route as soon as practical or is the expectation that if you get lost you have to return to where you lost the route and pick it up there.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

You're under no obligation to follow the routesheet at all. The only requirement is that you pass through the designated control points within the time limits.

If you get lost, it's sometimes easier to just follow road signs to the next town that you know the route passes through and pick it up again from there. (Towns the route passes through are usually indicated in some way on the routesheet, eg in capitals or bold.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »
Thank you, you have all been brilliant.  That sets my mind at rest and saved me £20.  I don't like riding with a bike computer as i find i spend my whole time looking at it, i was only going to buy one as i thought it was an essential bit of kit and people would expect me to have one and as it's my first long Audax i didn't want to stand out as a novice.

I'm thinking of taking a big saddle bag.  It kind of mounts on the seat post and is held by a couple of rods overhanging the back wheel and is about 2-3 litres, is there anything that is a bit "left field" that i might not have thought about taking.  I've borrowed a really powerfull light that you can mount on your helmet and i'm going to take a fluro vest for the night section.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »
There is no 'standard' way of doing anything in Audax. People do what suits them and please themselves within very minimal rules.

You must obey the law.
You must visit controls within their opening times.

I personally used a bike computer because I found looking at its clock more comfortable than wearing a watch.
I traced the route onto a paper map.

I sometimes copied the route sheet and reprinted in a format that suited me better. A larger typeface or bolder font to help reading or instructions written in full to cut out abbreviations.

Putting in a line break might stop your eyes getting 'lost' and repeating an instruction.
I pencilled sunrise/sunset times so I knew when lights were needed.
You might want to research your ride and scrawl additional information onto your route sheet.

This might not suit everyone.

We are all individuals.

You are advised to keep your route sheet dry. How you do this, like almost everything else in Audax, is up to you!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2014, 02:05:20 pm »
Hi, i'm taking part in the Bryan Chapman memorial Audax this May and it will be the first time i have used a route sheet.  I'm hoping to get out and practise with the route sheet before the event but i just wanted to ask some questions so i can avoid some obvious rookie errors.

Route sheet format, layout and info provided tends to vary from Organiser to Organiser. I would suggest you see if the BCM organiser is running other events as a means of getting the hang of his approach,

Firstly, i can see that you use your bike computer to measure the distance and then action the change in direction as the particular distance comes up.  What do you do if you've gone of course even for a short way so the distance on your computer is no longer going to match the route sheet? Is there a way of recalibrating a route sheet or is it just adding the difference in distance to each calculation in your head.

The route lists manned controls and unmanned information controls, all of which must be visited although the route you take to get there is up to you as the route sheet is meant to be 'advisory'. On saying that, I have very rarely taken a different route to that depicted on a route sheet as not only is this tricky but takes away from the Organisers efforts to put together a good route. Also, a GPS can be a tricky beast for the uninitiated whilst a route sheet, as long as it is without error and understood, tends to be more  reliable for newbies. I think studying the route in advance is worthwhile as is taking a map of the area you are covering. Just a word of warning though, torn-out road atlas pages tend to not list the minor roads in Wales.

Secondly, I've built a small plate that i can mount on my handlebars so i can have the route sheet in front of me.  I was thinking of using a pointer or moving an elastic band down it as i pass each re-direction, i think it will work but is there a standard Audax way of doing it that's more efficient? 

As has been said, each to his own however whatever you opt for, make sure you test ride it first rather than finding it detach at 2am in the morning 20km from Kings YHA into the blackness.

Finally, i don't have a GPS so i will take a map as a back up.  If i get lost is it okay to simply try and get to the next control point by any route possible and pick up the route on the route sheet route as soon as practical or is the expectation that if you get lost you have to return to where you lost the route and pick it up there.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Good idea but see my comment regarding road atlas based maps (above). It is always a good idea to trace it out in advance of the event so you know where the route goes. Not only will it help you on the ride but it will also give you an idea of what you are passing through and looking at  8)

Good luck - will see you at the start.

H

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »
Welcome the the forum Marcus.  If you search back through the Audax topic you'll find lots of stuff on the Bryan Chapman.  Loads of us here have ridden it and there's a lot of combined experience. 

Navigation isn't a problem,and following the route sheet is a doddle.  In common with many audaxers now I prefer a GPS trace to  follow, but having said that you'll be fine with the route sheet.  The one bit to concentrate on is the first part of the return leg from Menai, where there are a couple of wrong turns you could take, but it's not difficult if you take it one turn at a time. 

I'd fit the light to the bike personally - powerful helmet mounts are a pain in the rain.  You're lessl ikelyt o wrench your neck if you come off too.  Some experienced randonneurs do like a small headlight to read the route sheet by though. 

Best of luck!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2014, 03:34:22 pm »
I'd fit the light to the bike personally -

Comes under ...

You must obey the law.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »
There is no 'standard' way of doing anything in Audax. 

However.....
you need to grow a beard
use a Carradice saddle bag
wear spd sandals
 :demon:

:hand:
  just kidding

I imagine that you will rapidly become comfortable with your routesheet when you use it "in the flesh" so your idea to practice pre-event is most sensible.

Fit your primary light to your bike & use a small lightweight helmet mounted light for reading the routesheet & road signs at night.

Enjoy your ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:11:31 pm »
If all else fails, follow the instructions.
Have fun!
Welcome!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:14:47 pm »
If all else fail, follow the instructions. the rider in front
Have fun!
Welcome!

ftfy

« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:31:42 pm »
Marcus,  just follow everybody else unless they look like this....

Or this...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »
This presupposes you are fast enough to keep up with the rider in front and that the rider in front is both on the same ride and knows what to do/where to go...

« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
Yes, of course, but that wouldn't have been mildly amusing for everyone else reading this

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:37:18 pm »
They're both faster than me. And I've been able to follow them both, at times. There is a reason for this.

Mildly Amused of Oxfordshire
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »

Or this...

;D ;D ;D ;D
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »
Looks like there's now a Club Marcus in Audax...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »

Or this...

What could possibly go wrong?

H

« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2014, 06:47:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure I've seen Mel emerging from people's driveways on a number of occasions

« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:04:24 pm »
Thanks once again for all your fantastic advise, it's such a refreshing change to ask questions on an on-line forum and not have them walked over by people trying to show you how great they are.  Thanks for the advice about the light.  You are completely right, i borrowed it from a friend who i think uses it for mountain biking for a couple of hours and on my test ride at night the helmet did feel a bit unwieldy.

If it's okay i have two more questions.  The YHA control point where it's possible to grab a couple of hours sleep, is it so busy that it's best not to plan to stop, but if it your lucky you will get a bed, or is it something you can definitely plan for, and is that what most people do or do most people just push on through?  And looking at the North Wales section and the night riding is there a good place that is open late in that part of the world that you can guarantee would be open for Chips or Garage sandwiches?  Finally what are the final 200 kms like mentally. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »
Very few ride straight through. It makes for a grim ride unless you are very quick.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice about the light.  You are completely right, i borrowed it from a friend who i think uses it for mountain biking for a couple of hours and on my test ride at night the helmet did feel a bit unwieldy.

Which also leads to the obvious question about its battery life; mountain biking lights being more about power than endurance.

Also, if you're the sort of cyclist who thinks of a 2-3 litre saddle bag as 'big', then make sure you're equipped with enough puncture supplies, cable ties[1], extra clothing[2], batteries and emergency food for a ride of this duration.  And a pencil.  Spare copy of the routsheet isn't a terrible idea, either, if it's your only navigation aid.

[1] Everything, for the roadside botching of.
[2] It's Wales.  The one thing you can rely on is the weather...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:26:06 pm »
"I went to Wales on a Sunday, but it was closed."

Things have moved on (a bit) since that was quipped but I would not rely on anything other than Controls being open.

Grab every possible opportunity to restock your supplies of food and water. If you feel overstocked, eat whilst queuing at controls and save time but still support those who have opened to supply your needs.