Author Topic: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?  (Read 12172 times)

Re: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?
« Reply #25 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »
I remember Top Gear presented by William Woollard and Noel Edmonds. It was awful.

It basically was an aspirational show for pensioners who wanted to blow their pension on the latest Maestro.

I remember my uncle getting a MG Maestro EFI,  oooooooh...  The only thing was I don't think it lasted very long...   ;)

I think some producers to the 'stars', for what ever reason seem to turn blind to material that really should not make it through editing at all, perhaps they just lose touch with the reality of it all?  Not good. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

spindrift

« Reply #26 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:51:34 pm »
Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well...

The man has blood on his hands. Sun readers advocate vigilante violence, you can read them in the new comments section, and Clarkson encouraged them to use their vehicles as weaspons against cyclists.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 04 November, 2008, 01:37:12 pm »

The man has blood on his hands. Sun readers advocate vigilante violence, you can read them in the new comments section, and Clarkson encouraged them to use their vehicles as weaspons against cyclists.
I think I'm with spindrift here - just because he has some talents doesn't excuse his terrible behaviour. The idea of giving him a job that keeps him out of trouble leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There are plenty of half-decent journos/presenters that could do his job(s) without resorting to vile outpourings.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:21:39 pm »
Top Gear has been reclassified as entertainment, it used to be factual. It's easy to make the show if you don't have to stick to the facts. Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well, I'd rather see him doing that, so sack him and force him to do what he is good at. It'd be a relief for us and I suspect for him. As one of the world's most successful authors he can't be doing it for the money. He is also turning into Bernard Ingham.

Bernard Ingham

Jermy Clarkson.

Damon.

I think that's unduly harsh on Bernard Ingham, comparing him to The Top Gear Twunt...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #29 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
Top Gear has been reclassified as entertainment, it used to be factual. It's easy to make the show if you don't have to stick to the facts. Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well, I'd rather see him doing that, so sack him and force him to do what he is good at. It'd be a relief for us and I suspect for him. As one of the world's most successful authors he can't be doing it for the money. He is also turning into Bernard Ingham.

Bernard Ingham

Jermy Clarkson.

Damon.

I think that's unduly harsh on Bernard Ingham, comparing him to The Top Gear Twunt...  ;)

I think its equally harsh comparing JC to the Tory Twunt  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:27:50 pm »
Bah!  They deserve each other.

Both bringing the good name of Yorkshire into disrepute through vile reactionary views.

Did I mention Ted Hughes, Geoffrey Boycott, Harvey Smith etc? ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:32:54 pm »

Both bringing the good name of Yorkshire into disrepute through vile reactionary views.

That's it!  Ban all northerners from the airwaves and the press and then we'll just have to worry about Ross and Brand.  No-one's going to have a clever argument to counter this stroke of genius ...

« Reply #32 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »

'appen tha 'as now lad.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:34:10 pm »

Geoffrey Boycott.  Professional whinging, miserable bastard who's the worst advert for Yorkshire by far.

***Looks for spitting smiley***

I feel like throwing something at the radio each time I hear his whiny voice.  One day, the bugger'll say something nice about somebody else, rather than harking back to the days when he was supposedly a god...  >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #34 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:36:34 pm »

'appen tha 'as now lad.

Oh and you missed out Parky.

gonzo

« Reply #35 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:27:24 pm »
Along the lines of my previous post on the other similar thread; if you don't like it then don't watch it. Stereotypes are a large part of comedy. Deal with it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »
a) I don't watch Top Gear.

b) I share the roads with a lot of people who do.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #37 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »
Whatever the comic pretensions of hacks like Parris, Clarkson and Littlejohn, someone will do as they are told, and there will be no way of proving it. All it takes is a little delay on the brake pedal and another cyclist is dead. And that delay can be caused by the hatred spread by the media. In effect, it is the most efficient form of incitement there is. At least with other forms, the means of execution are explicitly criminal and rarely able to be disguised as an accident. This is not the case when the murder weapon is a car. And is much too easy when the target is suitably demonised by the media - when people on bikes have been dehumanised to a problem on wheels.

In the critical second or two before a collision with a cyclist, anyone agreeing wholeheartedly with Clarkson, which he presumably hopes is as many readers as possible, would not first see a human being in danger but just another obnoxious bloody cyclist - and only finally, when it is too late, see the human being. It is not a conscious decision, just an unnecessary, synthetic emotion getting in the way of the normal human response.
This is something which happens all the time - especially to drivers, subject as their personalities are to the distortions of being in control of superhuman power. We call it Road Rage.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:40:34 pm »

'appen tha 'as now lad.

Oh and you missed out Parky.

And Fred Trueman...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Really Ancien

« Reply #39 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:41:30 pm »

You are referring to the Jeremy Clarkson who advocated running down cyclists in a column? Or is it some other Jeremy Clarkson I haven't come across?
It's like I said, 'The Clarkson you get you deserve', Sun readers get one who's a mouthy bigot, Sunday Times readers get a mouthy bigot with a more developed writing style. Adolescent Petrolheads get an Adolescent Petrolhead. I'm interested in the history of British Manufacturing. I know Clarkson is too, he's quite capable of writing and presenting a good series on that.
He's become far too powerful for editors to control, he needs his wings clipping and his nose putting to the grindstone.

That's a good point, I don't know if he leads or reflects what people think. I'd like to see some fieldwork on that. If he's leading it, he's very dangerous. If he reflects attitudes, then we are being warned.
I notice that we have had no comments from lorry drivers, the group I find most considerate.

Damon.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #40 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »
.......And Daily Telegraph readers get James May, which is infinitely better!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

gonzo

« Reply #41 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:04:12 pm »

And so you'll have to watch out for an increased incidence of collision with dead prostitutes who've fallen out of easily influenced lorry driver's vehicles?!?

I'm sure that the quote also included a lot of references to looking in mirrors and so surely that's a good thing for these easily influenced people to have been told?

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #42 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:12:07 pm »
Whatever the comic pretensions of hacks like Parris, Clarkson and Littlejohn, someone will do as they are told, and there will be no way of proving it. All it takes is a little delay on the brake pedal and another cyclist is dead. And that delay can be caused by the hatred spread by the media. In effect, it is the most efficient form of incitement there is. At least with other forms, the means of execution are explicitly criminal and rarely able to be disguised as an accident. This is not the case when the murder weapon is a car. And is much too easy when the target is suitably demonised by the media - when people on bikes have been dehumanised to a problem on wheels.

In the critical second or two before a collision with a cyclist, anyone agreeing wholeheartedly with Clarkson, which he presumably hopes is as many readers as possible, would not first see a human being in danger but just another obnoxious bloody cyclist - and only finally, when it is too late, see the human being. It is not a conscious decision, just an unnecessary, synthetic emotion getting in the way of the normal human response.
This is something which happens all the time - especially to drivers, subject as their personalities are to the distortions of being in control of superhuman power. We call it Road Rage.

Very well put!  :thumbsup:
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Oscar's dad

« Reply #43 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:13:20 pm »

So what we are saying here is that there are loads of morons out there who can't think for themselves and will do whatever they saw on the telly, heard on the radio or read in The Sun.  This maybe true.

But, people that appear on satirical TV programmes etc are not the conscience of the nation.  They are being satirical in the hope that the audience is intelligent enough to take the satire with a pinch of salt and laugh at the humour offered.  I don't think our TV, radio and press should be dumbed down just because morons might take it seriously.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #44 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:19:17 pm »
I think there are enough people that watch Top Gear that don't understand that the camera is placed low on the cars body work, or that the drivers are professionals and driving three feet from the bumper in front is quite fine.

It's pretty much the same knobs that think having the fog lights on (as they do in Top Gear) is cool.

Hell - there used to be public information films on telly and people believed them!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #45 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »
I reserve the right to behave like an idiot should I so desire.

Top Gear's stunts are filmed on private property.

Top Gear is entertainment, and I do consider Clarkson to be playing a role. I'm probably one of a handful of people here who actually watch and enjoy the show.

I don't consider Clarkson to be a danger to society, the same way I don't think Frank Spencer or Mr Bean are a danger to public health.

« Reply #46 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »
+1 I like Clarkson.

« Reply #47 on: 04 November, 2008, 04:50:20 pm »
For those who don't watch the show, Clarkson is portrayed as an idiot, James May is portrayed as a slow old man, and Hammond as the short everyman type person.

E.g. When they have the little challenges, Clarkson will do something outrageous involving big engines and speed, James May will do something suitably slow, and Hammond will do something more sensible.

A lot of the laughter is at the presenter's own expense.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 04 November, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
But, people that appear on satirical TV programmes etc are not the conscience of the nation.  They are being satirical in the hope that the audience is intelligent enough to take the satire with a pinch of salt and laugh at the humour offered.  I don't think our TV, radio and press should be dumbed down just because morons might take it seriously.
Aha - the light has dawned on my keyboard. Top Gear is Satire! Why didn't I realise this before?!?

It's all so clear now - every week they are saying:
"Cars are shit. And really dangerous to innocent people. You will look stupid driving one. Stop it now. Save that £15K and spend it on train fares, a nice bike, and your favourite charity for RTA victims."

I now assume none of them ever drive except when they're on telly.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

alan

« Reply #49 on: 04 November, 2008, 05:05:18 pm »
Yes