Author Topic: Stumpjumper Blues  (Read 2362 times)

Stumpjumper Blues
« on: 08 August, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
In February 2007 I blew a bit of spare cash on a hi-spec Stumpjumper thinking I was really going to get back into off-road (I bought a Muddy Fox in 1987).  The reality has turned out to be the odd epic ride over these Welsh Hills, but a leaning towards my Dawes Galaxy and the road  8).  Stumper just sits there in the bike shed and rarely sees the light of day  :(  ............and it's a wonderful bike.

I've been thinking .... should I sell it, accept the loss, and buy a road bike ?  Should I just wait until I have more time (less work) and then ride both ?

Any thoughts ?  Do you have issues like this ?

Re: Stumpjumper Blues
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
Unless you need the cash, I'd keep the MTB. I rarely ride mine since I stopped racing, but when you feel like getting muddy and re-discovering some bike handling skills, I find it great to have mine available.

I know what you mean about the lure of the road, though. My first road bike was just to build my fitness for XC racing. Now, I'm a sorry excuse for an MTBer, but it's still fun to watch traditional roadies venture tentatively off-road and see the looks of extreme concentration  ;)

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2009, 07:51:49 pm »
I remember you asking about this back in 2007 and we helped you choose.

I will quite happily look after it for you for a while if it is taking up room in the shed, I promise not to ride it to destruction on Cannock Chase or anthink like that at all.

Honest.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »
Keep it. You can guarantee the moment you'll sell it you'll need it :). If you want to force yourself to use it why not sign up for an organised ride? Something like Evans Ride It, Trailbreak, etc. About £10 for something you could easily organise yourself for free, but signing up (and knowing you've paid money) forces you to get out.
I am nothing and should be everything

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2009, 08:36:30 pm »
I'm in a similar position - after thrashing my old Hardrock went out and bought a top-of-the line GT Avalanche after much analysis and debate.  But I now tend to do most of my riding on the road, my MTB skills are such that I tend to run faster through the woods than I can ride.  But it's always good to have the MTB in reserve for days when I just have to get out and am fed up dodging the traffic.  Of course, it helps that I have trails less than a mile away.  If I had to drive to get to the trails (and I've rediscovered that big knobblies are a pig on tarmac) then it would never get ridden.

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2009, 08:53:42 pm »

Yes Zoidburg, your help was much appreciated ..... but that doesn't mean you can have it  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2009, 08:58:00 pm »
I have the same issue.  I have a Marin East Peak 2003, first of the quad link frames.   I bought it in early 2004 and upgraded everything except the basic frame which is otherwise excellent, even the frame shock for a nice Fox Air jobbie.

It's done about 500 miles.   

I'm tempted to sell and buy a hard tail in steel with rack mounts which I would use, or even offer a frame swap for said steel hard tail with rack mounts to anybody interested.   

« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »
Of course, it helps that I have trails less than a mile away.  If I had to drive to get to the trails (and I've rediscovered that big knobblies are a pig on tarmac) then it would never get ridden.

I live in the hills of Mid Wales and so off-road is on my door step.  Having said that, actual trails are a car journey ie Nant-y-Arian (25 miles), Elan Valley (20 miles), the trails that I make for myself, from home are a bit brutal ..... and when the road calls ..... I can't resist  8)

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »

Yes Zoidburg, your help was much appreciated ..... but that doesn't mean you can have it  ;D
You would want it to go to a good home wouldnt you?

O:-)