Author Topic: Skills Courses  (Read 1725 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Skills Courses
« on: 22 March, 2010, 02:10:30 pm »
I'm going to Thetford at Easter for a novice skills course (I've never really ridden off-road) with Get Mountain Biking (paid for with Tesco Clubcard vouchers  :thumbsup:).

I'd hoped to get more practice on my new MTB before going but circumstances have intervened and I've only ridden it a couple of times. At least that means I shouldn't have any bad habits.

Anyone done or thinking of doing something similar?

a great mind thinks alike

Re: Skills Courses
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:08:20 pm »
I did one with the CTC in Surrey a few years ago. It was a really good and informative weekend. I learned a lot. It really built up your confidence to try things. I would like to do another one. :) They split the group into totally hopeless (my level) and pretty good (not my level). The totally hopeless group made the biggest improvements, with some really nervous riders managing some pretty daring stuff :thumbsup:.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
Well on Saturday I had my Introductory Skills course at Thetford Forest and it went pretty well.

There were 5 other blokes on the course, and one (female) instructor.

First we were shown how to setup our bikes and make sure our saddles didn't get in the way of shifting our weight to the rear. Then we set off for Madgett's Pit, one of the black run bomb holes, and before long we were taking it in turns to speed down into the hole and even get a bit of air on the way out. We also learned how to ride out of the pit from a standing start.

Next we were introduced to three different techniques for lifting the front wheel, and also spent quite a while on cornering skills. These were then put to the test on a new-looking section of the red route that had lots of berms. That was good fun. My weakness was staying in the "attack position" - I much preferred to sit down and let my suspension soak up the bumps.  :-[

Then we went and had a crack at The Beast. Although just before that there was a chance to practice riding a drop-off at another bomb hole nearby. The Beast was really thrilling (it was the first time I've ever ridden anything like that) and I twice came close to hitting trees.  :o I had to dab after a pedal strike (my bike has a very low bottom bracket) and again I had to fight the urge to sit down but I reckon I was pretty quick for my first time. Thinking about it, I probably should have gone a little slower and concentrated more on the skills I'd just been taught but it was too much of a blast!

I got a lot out of the course but not sure how much of that was down to being in a group of riders with similar ability and how much was down to the instructor. Despite the small size of the group and plenty of time, there was very little individual feedback during the course - maybe we were all good?  :-\

Overall, a very enjoyable day and because I can pay with Clubcard vouchers I will consider using them again for an intermediate course at Woburn Sands.  :thumbsup:
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »
Sounds great.  :thumbsup:

The Beast is getting very worn & cut up (i last rode it in February). It doesn't flow as well as it used to.

If you are going to Thetford just to ride, the Brandon Country park is the place most riders start from - free carpark (although there is a rumor that they will start charging £2 a day this summer) and a better cafe.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »
Sounds good, and paying with the Evil Empire vouchers make it a bit of a bargain. I've booked!
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.