Author Topic: How many people in the UK have PhDs?  (Read 38221 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: How many people in the UK have PhDs?
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:43:08 am »
I know there is at least one person who has been desperate to get a PhD for years, but never had the funding, so will have to wait till the ever-receding retirement arrives (me).

And I am struggling to think of a job to which my first degree will not apply.
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #26 on: 06 September, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »
I know there is at least one person who has been desperate to get a PhD for years, but never had the funding, so will have to wait till the ever-receding retirement arrives (me).

I have a project sketched out, but assume I'm unlikely ever to have the time or funding to complete it as a PhD - and so am trying to pick off the various chapters as standalone papers, collaborating with others.  It's painfully slow ...
Apart from teaching the topic, I'm struggling to think of an obvious application of my not-at-all-unusual degree subject (beyond demonstrating a basic ability to process information).

« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
Apart from teaching the topic, I'm struggling to think of an obvious application of my not-at-all-unusual degree subject (beyond demonstrating a basic ability to process information).

ObXKCD: http://xkcd.com/435/

(OK, so it's not the subject for my first degree...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »
I'm probably unusual in having segued from my PhD into a career (if you can call it that) in very much the same sort of thing.

« Reply #29 on: 06 September, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »
Does this include e-mail degrees from "prestigious non-accredited universities" in the US?  I can buy one for $10.

You are Gillian McKeith AICMFP

iakobski

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2011, 12:17:33 pm »

It's a question of perspective - whether you view doing a degree as "education" or learning a bunch of stuff about a subject.