Author Topic: Electric Built-under Double Oven  (Read 3214 times)

321up

• 59° N
Electric Built-under Double Oven
« on: 04 November, 2014, 12:35:27 pm »
Our oven can't be repaired  :'( so looking for a replacement.

Our under worktop kitchen unit will take a 60cm single oven, or a 70cm built under double oven.  I've found some Built-under Double Oven's advertised with a height of 88cm - that would require cutting the kick board and fitting virtually at floor level - the two local suppliers/fitters I have spoken to say that built under ovens are 70cm and it's not approperate to fit larger ovens close to floor level.  It does not seem likely that someone would have the worktop 18cm higher than ours.  Which info should I believe?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/built-in-appliances/built-in-cooking/ovens/double-ovens/hotpoint-uhs53xs-electric-built-under-double-oven-stainless-steel-10022988-pdt.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1074585.htm

Re: Electric Built-under Double Oven
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2014, 12:53:43 pm »
The fitters. Built ins under counter are never IME doubles - there isn't the room for a decent sized main oven in the height available. That's why we have a slot-in double.  The doubles can of course be built in at "eye" level. CAn be limiting if you prefer an electric oven (or ovens) and a gas hob of course (not many dual fuel slot ins around when I last looked).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »
I suspect that the product info on that model is a typo, and should read built-in.

FWIW, we had a double built-under and although the main oven is smaller, we didn't find it too much of a limitation: for us, it was worth losing a bit of oven space in order to get a separate grill. This is, though, a compromise I'd only make in a small kitchen - a bigger double at eye level is definitely preferable.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »
It's a typo - the recess dimensions are correct and they're the important ones. If you're looking at new ovens I'd recommend Neff - they do a good job and have some very nice features.

Also worth thinking about - if you've got a single oven now you might just have a 13A socket outlet for your oven. That's OK for a single oven but if you move to a double oven you'll need to upgrade your electrical supply to 32A.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »
I have one.  Getting a turkey in might be a challenge.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:29:41 am »
Electrical supply is ok, but decided the oven size on a on a built under double would be rather limiting.  Probably best to buy a large single oven and replace our microwave with a decent freestanding combi microwave oven like this...

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/r959slmaa/sharp-r959slmaa-freestanding-microwave-oven

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2014, 10:23:48 am »
We have a Samsung dual cook oven, which offers some of the benefits of a dual oven but you can also remove the central divider and have a massive single oven.  We have cooked a turkey in it:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/ovens/electric-ovens/NV70F7796ES/EU

We also have a combi micro-oven-grill (Panasonic) which is brilliant for baked potatoes and bread and butter pudding.  We didn't have a kitchen for nearly 2 years while renovating our house and we got pretty good at cooking stews, curries, tagines, etc.in it.  It save us from many takeaways! :)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2014, 11:02:41 am »

We have a built-under double oven that seems to be OK. Never tried putting anything huge in it as yet (only had it a week so far) but it's handled everything we've thrown at it so far.

We've got a huge kitchen but the layout is such that short of replacing the boiler and rerouting all the utilities (not going to happen) a built-under oven was the best way forward. The first kitchen designer reckoned a single oven would be enough but we wanted a double oven, partly because there are often times we cook two things at different temperatures and partly because we wanted to be able to grill as well as cook.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.