Author Topic: Washing Machine Drum Bearing Replacement - Fail.  (Read 4885 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Washing Machine Drum Bearing Replacement - Fail.
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:33:37 am »
We bought Bosch a while ago. It failed a couple of years after warranty ran out.
We bought a Joyn Lewis. It failed three months after the warranty ran out and it beeped on finish. That was more annoying then it failing.
We bought a Miele.
It is simpler than it looks.

Si_Co

« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »
I got ours off the back of a lorry for £20 six or seven years ago. The lorry driver was delivering a second hand fridge.
Dunno the brand but it leaps around the kitchen like a kangaroo on speed, probably cus Mrs S only believes it's full when you can't close the door.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:51:16 pm »
Perhaps she likes the extra, uh, movement?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #28 on: 02 February, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »
I got ours off the back of a lorry for £20 six or seven years ago. The lorry driver was delivering a second hand fridge.
Dunno the brand but it leaps around the kitchen like a kangaroo on speed, probably cus Mrs S only believes it's full when you can't close the door.

You did take the shipping bolts out didn’t you ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Si_Co

« Reply #29 on: 02 February, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »

You did take the shipping bolts out didn’t you ?

Yes I even know where they are  :o

« Reply #30 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »
We bought an AEG recently- again, no longer German made, they're part of Electrolux now, and manufacturing has been moved to $CHEAPERPLACE. Seems pretty well built though.

It's got an induction motor, which means it's really, really quiet. And it doesn't have any brushes to wear out, which is what pushed the (12 year old) Hotpoint past the Not Worth Repairing point.

Induction motor would definitely be worth looking for - was it obvious on the spec sheet?

As for brushes, I suspect that's one of those things where a ten pound part runs into minimum labour or callout charges. Certainly changing them on our old machine was a tedious, tedious job, but buying a set on ebay was trivial in cost: I think I've got some spares somewhere safe because it was cheaper to buy a couple of sets than pay extra postage.

Induction motor was clearly mentioned on the spec sheet on the AEG website, can't remember if it was called out on the John Lewis description. You have to go several models up the range before it starts being a feature, but we got a bit of a bargain with an end of line that JL appeared to have bought all the remaining stock of.

I could have got some brushes for about a tenner, (once I'd worked out which of the different motors that model might have come with was correct...) but by the time they arrived we'd have wasted plenty of money on service washes at the launderette, there was no way I was getting the belt back on without an epic struggle and skinning all of my knuckles, it wouldn't have fixed the lacklustre cleaning capability, and chances are that something else would have gone wrong before long.

Put it on freecycle for someone else to take a chance on fixing: no takers.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #31 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »
Had a cheap Hoover branded washing machine which died after 10 years. Just bought a Miele Classic on a recommendation. Seems better quality. Traditional 'turn the dial' control plus a digital countdown showing minutes remaining. Runs quieter than the cheapo one.

« Reply #32 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:32:54 pm »
(Shouldn't this be a thread about Graeme Obree?)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:34:21 pm »
(Shouldn't this be a thread about Graeme Obree?)

:D :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:08:48 pm »
Our John Lewis machine gets some serious hammer: 2 - 3 loads per day; and has often been very overloaded when I wasn't looking, yet it still continues to work fine after nearly 6 years. I like the delay timer feature, so put that on your list of desirable features, would be my advice.
Well, that was the kiss of death, wasn't it?! It gave up the ghost yesterday. Experiences with repair companies have not been good, so we've gone for another John Lewis machine. This one is a slim one, which will make door access much easier in our cramped utility space. Based conservatively on 2.5 washes a day over 2000 days, the last one cost us 6p per wash. I'll take that.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.