Author Topic: New shiney router  (Read 808 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
New shiney router
« on: 16 August, 2011, 07:02:53 pm »
So having got myself a Draytek Vigor2830vn. How do I set the fooker up?

Got wireless and lan going. How do I add my NAS. Do I need to map ports etc?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: New shiney router
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »
Let me rephrase that, how do I give my NAS a static internal IP?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »
You'd normally do that from the NAS itself, so if there's a console program which you can install on your computer, use that.

If not, then assuming it's wired up to the network, it will have been allocated an IP address from the router.  The Draytek's configure themselves as 192.168.1.1, so open up a browser with that address, and a pop up window will appear.  The default username is admin with no password.  You can then see what IP address has been allocated to the NAS.  Open up another browser for that IP address (some need X.X.X.X:80 or :8080 to use), and then navigate around to find the setting to change to a static IP address.

No mapping of ports will be needed.  You can configure the Draytek to not use a range of IP addresses, so it doesn't allocate the NAS one.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2011, 07:43:20 pm »
Presumably, being half decent, the Draytek's DHCP server has the capability to statically map given MAC addresses to IP addresses.  It'll be in the LAN DHCP configuration options somewhere.  That would allow you to do a static allocation without touching the NAS configuration. 

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »
Ah "Bind MAC to IP". Trouble is the nas is now plugged into port 2 (I'm on port 2 via laptop) and I'm not seeing it come up on the DHCP pages. I guess I'll go to the NAS and change it directly.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »
Try rebooting the NAS.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2011, 08:47:38 pm »
Turns out the nas had a static IP of 10.0.0.x

Support Equilibrium