Author Topic: 100% CPU usage!!  (Read 1768 times)

100% CPU usage!!
« on: 22 June, 2015, 08:39:57 am »
Laptop running slow, slower than an e550 processor normally runs sorry crawls at, so checked out the resource monitor and what was happening. That was when I spotted 100% CPu usage. Checking out what was running it had chrome on 36 in the CPU column and explorer at 46. Explorer was searching for a file on the server so is that normal to be so high? I am guessing Chrome is a high demand program that I guess I should switch to something else but explorer to me seems it should not be so demanding.

Anyone got a suggestion why or is it normal?

Afasoas

Re: 100% CPU usage!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:03:45 am »
That sort of CPU usage for Chrome is not unusual, dependant on number of tabs open and the scripts/resources loaded.
Explorer on the other hand seems a bit high, particularly if that's over an extended period of time.

You can kill and restart explorer, if necessary.

Open task managet (ctrl + shift + escape)
Find explorer.exe, right-click it and select 'end process'

The task bar, menu icons etc. will all disappear when explorer.exe is killed off. It may or may not automatically restart. If it doesn't,

Click 'File' on the Task Manager Menu Bar
Click 'New Task'
Type explorer.exe into the 'Create New Task' dialog box
Click 'OK'

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:31:27 am »
All sorts of things can momentarily load CPU to 100%.  It's only dodgy or a problem if it's sustained for long periods.  Install CoreTemp to display the CPU load (and temperature) all the time in the taskbar.  I also like the System Monitor II gadget by Igogo Bushin (for Windows 7 and Vista).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:36:04 am »
If it is sitting at that level after a reboot, consider that you may have picked up some malware.....

Browsers only(ish) use memory by what you run in them.

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:39:32 am »
Chrome is a CPU hog and that particular CPU doesn't take much hogging

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:26:49 am »
CoreTemp gives some reet funny results on two of the three Windows machines in Larrington Towers, though.  I can just believe that the old laptop (Intel Atom) runs at 40 degrees when it's working hard but I do not think the desktop machine (AMD A8) is running up to fifteen degrees below ambient ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:49:17 am »
CoreTemp gives some reet funny results on two of the three Windows machines in Larrington Towers, though.  I can just believe that the old laptop (Intel Atom) runs at 40 degrees when it's working hard but I do not think the desktop machine (AMD A8) is running up to fifteen degrees below ambient ???

The AMD A8 doesn't have proper core sensors, apparently:
www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-a8-5600k-temperature-reading.194811/

I get believable readings with CoreTemp in all my machines.  It's showing around 50 degrees for this laptop's CPU at the moment, for example.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:59:19 pm »
My newer laptop has an AMD A4 and is currently running at ~57-61 with Thunderbird and Excel open but not doing a whole lot.  Heavy-duty web-golfing cranks it up to ~74/75.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime