Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 90813 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #50 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:20:09 am »
I work with a bus spotter.

Counselling?
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:24:55 am »
There was a steam service running on the Wensleydale railway this last weekend :thumbsup:

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #52 on: 06 July, 2011, 09:27:25 pm »
I nearly crashed my bike on a Audax perm a few week back looking at a Scottish diesel engine crossing the Ribble Valley lol. The grass verge saved me ! I never did find out what diesel engine it was though I noticed what looked like it was hauling about 20 open containers of wooden logs, something I've not seen before.

How geeky is that !

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #53 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »

That might not be a trainspotter, they could be a twitcher photographing the penguin on the stairs.

More to the point, why is TimO crouching down in the foreground?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #54 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »
Because he is spheniscidaeaphobic.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #55 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:40:38 pm »
I nearly crashed my bike on a Audax perm a few week back looking at a Scottish diesel engine crossing the Ribble Valley lol. The grass verge saved me ! I never did find out what diesel engine it was though I noticed what looked like it was hauling about 20 open containers of wooden logs, something I've not seen before.

How geeky is that !

Probably a Class 66 running the Carlisle-Chirk timber train via Ribblehead for Colas Rail.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #56 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:42:58 pm »

How geeky is that !

Probably a  Class 66 running the Carlisle-Chirk timber train via Ribblehead for Colas Rail.

I think it could have been. It had the new Scottish livery with large decals. :)

« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »
There were several examples of the species thermos anorakus lurking at Eaglescliffe station when I rolled up today.

I asked one of them what was coming through. "The Hogwarts Express," he replied, and he'd obviously committed some sort of faux pas, judging by the gasps and sucking of teeth from the others.

As well as the Hogwarts Express, it was the Mallard, being transported to Teesport for shipping to Germany. Even I've heard of that.

« Reply #58 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »
Probably a Class 66 running the Carlisle-Chirk timber train via Ribblehead for Colas Rail.

Go and sit on the geek step for 10 minutes..

« Reply #59 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

As well as the Hogwarts Express, it was the Mallard, being transported to Teesport for shipping to Germany. Even I've heard of that.

Mallard! Going to Germany!

When are we going to get her back at the NRM!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #60 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »
It's to be displayed alongside the German machine which held the speed record for a month or two. Show those bally Krauts what for.

http://trainguy.co.uk/railway-museums/mallard-to-be-displayed-in-germany

« Reply #61 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »
Ah, cheers.  Seems she'll be back in October. It's not quite same without her.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #62 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Couple of rubbish photos.  They were better than the ones the trainspotters got, since they were standing on the bridge over the wrong line.  Cue lots of dashing about as the train comes from a different direction...

A Mallard in the wild:

And the Harry Potter thing:

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #63 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »
I have to admit that I can be a bit of a sailing boat spotter especially racing ones and old gaffers. I do it because I kind of understand how they work and am thus interested in their history and how people kit them. I don't take photos but when I spot one, I will try to approach and have a look.

I would imagine that trainspotters have similar motivations.

There aren't that many proper racing boats in the UK so when I get homesick, I check this: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Chief cat entertainer.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #64 on: 20 July, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »
 I've seen 7 Bromptons today. I failed to note all their colours, but two were all-over black.

Didn't get the frame numbers.  :-[

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #65 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »
must try harder  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
Another thing that makes trains interesting:

The British railways are still using about a hundred 08 shunters built in 1953 to 1962, making them up to 58 years old.  What great longetivity.  Funny how they can only do 15 or 20mph, but that's all that's needed for shunting.  Also funny how how they look nearly like steam engines.

Are these the oldest locos still in regular use on the UK's proper railways (excluding heritage stuff)?

My info is from Wikipedia.  I've got some of the interest of a train spotter, but not the knowledge or desire to collect numbers.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #67 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:39:26 pm »
Also funny how how they look nearly like steam engines.
The heritage railway that I am training to be a signalman on has a mixture of steam and diesel engines.  The "class 10" shunter (same bodyshell as an 08) is treated as an honorary steam engine, because it, like the steam engines, is far quicker to change direction than the 2-cab diesels; on these, the driver HAS to close one cab down, get down onto the track, walk to the other end, and start the new front cab up.  (Rulez, innit?  Can't be driven from the back!  Elf-n-safety gawn mad...)

Whereas an engine designed for shunting has just the one cab, and a reversing lever.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #68 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:41:29 pm »
... it turned out that this chap collected a smut from every steam service he travelled on, and organised them in an album...

That's not trainspotting, that's art.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
Did you hear the programme on the radio earlier about a chap collecting dust from various buildings around the world?  I couldn't work out if it was a spoof.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #70 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:45:26 pm »
Here's one of mine - one of those 'spur of the moment' shots taken when I was wandering through York Station. Given that my house backs onto the ECML, seeing a Class 66 is a bit 'meh', but one stabled in the station less so.

66421 in York by interzen, on Flickr

Since it's summer, there've been quite a few kettles running back and forth along the mainline, most likely the Scarborough Spa Express.

« Reply #71 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:47:26 pm »
Did you hear the programme on the radio earlier about a chap collecting dust from various buildings around the world?  I couldn't work out if it was a spoof.

No radio, I'm working today.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #72 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »
Ah, so you can't do whatever you like on a heritage railway?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #73 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »
ps.  Please don't forget to answer my question on the 08s. :)  Are they the oldest locos still used on the proper railways?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #74 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »
ps.  Please don't forget to answer my question on the 08s. :)  Are they the oldest locos still used on the proper railways?
Pretty much, yes, if you rule out main-line certified steam locos.
The actual design of the 08s and their ilk predates nationalisation, just (they're originally an LMS design, if memory serves)