Author Topic: ITBS/Runners’ knee  (Read 1361 times)

ITBS/Runners’ knee
« on: 14 November, 2018, 01:00:57 am »
ITBS = Ilio-Tibial Band Syndrome

Has anyone else here had a problem with this?

It’s kept me off the bike for about 3 weeks now, and it doesn’t feel like it’s going to get better in a hurry. Walking up stairs, and pedalling (i.e., putting any effort through that leg), are pretty much impossible. I visited a physio today who confirmed the diagnosis and recommended stretches, use of roller (both of which  I had already been doing, but maybe not often enough). The advice was to stretch/use roller more frequently, give it a week, and then go back for a course of acupuncture. I would love to believe that this will fix it, but the pain I get in my knee when I load the quad in that leg suggests that it might be a good while before I’m back in the saddle.

Background: no trauma, no changes to riding position, etc., most likely reason being increased weekly mileage - but nothing spectacular, just half day rides, and nothing I haven’t done before, it’s just that I’m now doing it more frequently. Or I was. The problem was apparent for a couple of weeks before I stopped. On the last (40mile) ride I struggled to limp home using just one leg.

Re: ITBS/Runners’ knee
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:19:34 am »
Saddle too high?

Increased mileage can show up bikefit problems.

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:01:28 am »
ITBS = Ilio-Tibial Band Syndrome

Has anyone else here had a problem with this?

Yeah, I had this as part of my knee issues. After years of chronic pain, the key for me was switching to a private physio who could look beyond the knee. Lots of glute - and especially glute medius - strengthening exercises have all but removed it. I'm still way too quad dominant and am working on reprogramming what fires when. Maybe a loss of core strength might be something for you to investigate?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:09:52 am »
^ wot Nikki says, its not the knee, but other structures and muscles around it. Massage and rolling etc will relieve symptoms, but you need someone who will help you spot and resolve the underlying issues. 

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:20:15 am »
I’ve had a similar experience to nikki except that in my case the local NHS physio was really good, looking at the overall picture to diagnose and treat my knee problems - mostly stretches and strengthening exercises, with a lot of focus on glutes and core.

Also gave me acupuncture for pain relief, which I found very effective.

Separate sports massage therapy (private) has also been very helpful.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2018, 11:00:00 am »
It's really annoying, and you can fix the symptoms with rollers and stretching (TBH, I'm not sure stretching helped me much, but the rollers did). However, the ITB is unlikely to be the cause - as the others have said, glutes and lower back instability can cause the ITB to take strain it really shouldn't.
The physio can help with this and give you exercises - I reckon it's only worth getting a bike fit after this has been investigated.

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:39:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think it may well be rooted in lower back/glute issues. This past year I have had lower back issues for the first time in my life. The physio is aware of that.