Author Topic: Where (at which controls (or hotel, etc)) are you intending to sleep?  (Read 1506 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
I normally get a few hours sleep at Carhaix (on the way out) or Brest, and then again somewhere on the return - maybe the 'secret' control would be a good place - not too busy? Where do you guys intend to take a kip?

I hope to take a short break at my cousin's gite as well, time-permitting, as its en route!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Re: Where (at which controls (or hotel, etc)) are you intending to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »
Shhh, Carhaix is also where I intend to sleep on the outbound route as it's nicer than Loudeac and, hopefully, at a better time for getting some kip and ahead of the 'bulge'.  Don't tell everyone though.   :hand:

Last time it was Fougeres on the way back and unfortunately due to a dodgy knee, a few hours at Dreux as well!!

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
Saint-Nicolas-du-Pelem on the way out.  Maybe.  Possibly an afternoon nap at Tinteniac or Quedillac.

There is 'a plan', but it's there more for reference than anything we intend to stick to.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:04:00 pm »
Carhaix outwards with the 17:30 Sun start seems like a good idea for a 3h sleep break.
Will aim for that. Seems natural taking into account slow controlling and a full night and
day of riding before that. All the way to Brest in one go seems stretching it a bit maybe.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:08:06 pm »
Hotel in Loudeac, out and back. Then head back to Paris, but not to aim to finish in the middle of the night again (anyway, Mrs. JB says she isn't coming to meet me at the finish if it's at some stupid time!).  Sleep at Dreux if needs be and then leave for Paris in the morning to arrive mid morning.

That's the rough plan.  The reality will be somewhat different.  Going to be luxurious having three sleeps this time!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:10:51 pm »
Villaines, Carhaix, Tinteniac, Dreux (or anywhere I can pitch my bivibag if my body demands it).

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:17:57 pm »
We've got a hotel booked at Brest, but in truth we've never ever ridden a 600 without creature comforts at 400ish km, so this'll be a new experience. Which is a Good Thing - audax can get really dull if you don't mix it up a bit.

fboab will claim she can't nap. I'm pretty sure I can; if "nap" means at least 45 minutes, and preferably 2 hours sleep  :).

In the fboab/Chris S team, traditionally I have been the one to turn back to a pumpkin at midnight. When we talk about this, we always mention the interminable trawl along the A143 to our campsite, on a Seething 600 Helpers ride where I think I rode the slowest I've ever ridden between 1am and 3am. Or we mention the overnight section of the Cambrian 600 where, soon after Newport, we walked for a few km because I was SO sleepy, fboab wouldn't dare share the bike with me  ;D.

Isn't all this stuff (shit, though it is at the time) what we do these crazy things for? As Kurt's other half and Support Person In Chief Alicia said in an interview, "Ridiculous things happen doing the ridiculous."

Damn right!

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:26:34 pm »
I have no plan with that on the basis I'll know when I need a sleep. Generally I aim to sleep during the normal hours I sleep. If it's hot I'll probably try sleeping during middle of the day. I aim to push as far as poss for first day. LEL I had no fixed sleep plan and went by feel and it worked well.

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
In my dreams I'd love to be able to sleep at my house which is just outside Huelgoat (25km after Carhaix). But it will probably be just that little bit too far to make it safely methinks. Probably use it for a hot meal & shower.

Anyways I know what is going to happen. I'll drop dead & get lost in the black hole of Loudeac out & back just like the previous two times.

The last night I'll be in a trance so it won't be sensible making plans.

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:51:15 pm »
Sleep during PBP? You're having a laff aren't you?

Aiming  to get to Brest in the small hours and catch a few zees before starting off back when it gets light.
It worked last time but who knows what will happen?

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2015, 08:10:32 pm »
fboab will claim she can't nap. I'm pretty sure I can; if "nap" means at least 45 minutes, and preferably 2 hours sleep  :).
I can't nap.

However, I am prepared, I have GAMI to try and help.

rob

« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:17:26 am »
Carhaix on the way put and Fougeres on the way back.   That's the aggressive schedule which may find itself getting binned in the first 24hrs.

Got to Carhaix at midnight last time and there were no beds.   It had just heaved it down so sleeping outside wasn't a possibility.   In retrospect I should have slept at Loudeac or St Nicolas last time but I was focused on getting to Carhaix before my first proper stop.

I would follow some advice given to me by a US randonneur which was to sleep early i.e. before the dorms fill up.   

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:26:48 am »
Motel in St Meen Le Grand booked for Monday and Tuesday, although I think I've ballsed up the timings so will arrive at siesta time rather than after dark. Wed night hopefully napping at the last control.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:34:02 am »
I plan to sleep when time and mood allow.

I want to time my finish for around noon on Thursday, that means leaving Dreux around 7am.  There's a possibility of a decent "normal" kip there I reckon.

That's my only real plan so far.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:44:07 am »
haven't considered this yet, will see how tired/alert i am and will decide on the spot, this has worked before

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:05:02 am »
Where I need to.

Generally I sleep better outside than at a control, so shall do this if the weather is reasonable. As an indication, on my one previous evening start I slept between Carhaix and Brest and at Fougeres, but I was faster then.

« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:19:25 am »
I'll sleep when I get tired so no fixed plan, but I'm expecting to make one sleep stop. 

I'm doing the Monday morning start so my most obvious stop would be Fougeres or Carhaix, which I'd expect to hit during the first night.  But they could well be full at that time so I'm very open to pushing on , eg to Brest as long as I feel ok. 

Last time I didn't need to sleep on the way back, so that is my default this time - but will stop if I'm tired. 

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2015, 11:33:35 am »
80h start so aiming for Brest and one of Fougeres, Villaines or Mortagne. If it's not going to plan. Based on Somnolent's spreadsheet, with realistic riding speeds and control times, I should be at Brest around 11pm, making it a sensible place for a sleep stop. Departing Brest with 1h in hand would leave me with 44h to ride 615km or so.

In the past, I've taken close to 40h to get to Brest, and I think this was more about time stopped than anything else.

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:51:44 pm »
I wanna see how far I can go before I need to sleep so, 'we'll see'.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:58:41 pm »
Since I had to put them somewhere I have 5-hour stops planned at Loudéac (x2) & Dreux. Movable feasts, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:20:35 pm »
80h start so aiming for Brest and one of Fougeres, Villaines or Mortagne. If it's not going to plan. Based on Somnolent's spreadsheet, with realistic riding speeds and control times, I should be at Brest around 11pm, making it a sensible place for a sleep stop. Departing Brest with 1h in hand would leave me with 44h to ride 615km or so.

That's right, make sure everyone knows who to blame when it all goes wrong !  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »
Sleep planned at Brest and Fougieres; a couple of hours at each hopefully.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2015, 11:44:32 pm »
Dunno. I have booked a hotel in Brest which I will most probably cancel, as it is too far to ride without sleep but not far enough for second rest. I'll carry a super-lightweight Therm-A-Rest, an inner liner and a bivvy bag, so hopefully can kip anytime, everywhere if necessary (unless it is chucking down).
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones