Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2963764 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21600 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:07:31 pm »
No, I'd placed the blocks at the edge of the verge, so some cocksucking bellend has moved them before driving their car along my the verge.  They would almost certainly have got wet feet in the process.  You can easily get two vehicles side-by-side at the junction visible in the piccy, and, even if there was an immovable obstacle on the road, there's a getaround which is less than half a mile.

It pisses me off because it's going to leave an 8"-deep rut that'll look hideous and make the verge fucking awkward to mow.  A couple of years ago, a white van tipped over while doing the same thing when the verge was soft, and had to be winched out of our hedge.

I can think of something which would fit the trench carved out by the perp's nearside wheels quite nicely... :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #21601 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:14:43 pm »
It's a message:
You need much bigger blocks that can't be rolled by people.

. . . preferably embedded a couple of feet into the ground.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21602 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:14:50 pm »
Dear EHRC.

What the fuck do you mean that my email to complaints@ was received but identified as spam, quarantined and then DELETED? So I have to resend...

You only know I sent it at all cos I chased EHRC on social media - not that anyone deigned to acknowledge me there either... So I didn't know they had helpfully passed info back.

WHAT THE FUCK?

How many legitimate emails are you not processing cos of an overzealous spam detection system?

One complaint resent with an additional complaint of "over zealous spam" and "not responding to social media". As I now have a judge's orders asking if I notified the EHRC of my legal case - the very issue I am complaining that the EHRC don't publish how to do, I'm going to scan and send a redacted version of that too.  And I will be submitting my EHRC complaints correspondence to the court to show I made an effort.

Fucking shitshow.

Bring back the Disability Rights Commission - the EHRC are an incompetent pile of shit... (for this and many many many other reasons)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21603 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:33:37 pm »
It's a message:
You need much bigger blocks that can't be rolled by people.
nah, smaller one. Much smaller ones. Made of steel. With long sharp pointy bits.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #21604 on: 15 June, 2019, 06:47:42 am »
Problem is, I need to be able to move them to mow the verge.  We got rid of our push-mower when we got the ride-on, which was probably a mistake.

« Reply #21605 on: 15 June, 2019, 09:39:28 am »
Just let the grass grow and hide them  :demon:

« Reply #21606 on: 15 June, 2019, 10:12:52 am »
My wife's getting arsey about having anything there - says she doesn't want to be held responsible if someone crashes their vehicle into the blocks...

TBH I wouldn't be fussed if the road were widened a bit there.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21607 on: 15 June, 2019, 10:20:57 am »
Problem is, I need to be able to move them to mow the verge.  We got rid of our push-mower when we got the ride-on, which was probably a mistake.
A goat is what you need...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21608 on: 15 June, 2019, 11:12:52 am »
Do you need to mow the verge? If you get it made into one of those no-cut verges with wild flowers etc, then the council will mow it for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #21609 on: 15 June, 2019, 01:11:55 pm »
Or dig a nice big ditch.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21610 on: 15 June, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
Yes, that verge looks like it needs deep cross ditches about every 20 feet for drainage...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21611 on: 15 June, 2019, 03:16:20 pm »
It'd only be a matter of time before it would be run over...

« Reply #21612 on: 15 June, 2019, 04:31:09 pm »
It'd only be a matter of time before it would be run over...
Across the road from my house in york there is a house with a nice square of grass in front. The owner got fed up of people parking on it (but wanted to occasionally do so himself). So he bought a couple of 1 foot diameter concrete balls and put them on the corners of the square. They are pretty prominent.
Some bloody idiot one day drove over one at speed - trying to get past a car coming the other way (yes, she went up a square kerb onto grass at least 20mph). Managed to roll the ball under the car until it was under her fuel tank, damaging loads along the way, wedging it into the fuel tank and cracking it.

Tried to blame it on the house owner.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #21613 on: 17 June, 2019, 10:01:13 am »
My wife's getting arsey about having anything there - says she doesn't want to be held responsible if someone crashes their vehicle into the blocks...

TBH I wouldn't be fussed if the road were widened a bit there.

I sometimes wonder why I bother. I let the corner grow wild, the mystery of what potentially car-damaging objects might be lurking in the grass seems to have a discouraging effect. Alas, the powers-that-be demand the verge look vaguely tidy near the driveway.

They're there to stop cars driving on the verge, which in winter churns it out into a rutted mess and generally gets mud all over the road. The reason is primarily drivers coming down the hill being unable to wait several seconds for the car coming up the hill and then forcing them to squeeze by one another as they discover at this point that the road isn't quite wide enough for two modern cars. Actually, it's obviously going to be a squeeze, but drivers. On occasion, I'll see two of them facing off halfway up the hill, it's a case of when halfwits attack. They might have been sitting there for hours. One did it to my taxi once, my driver turned around at the top of the hill to come down to let me out at the bottom of my driveway, so  instead of waiting the entire 10 or 15 seconds it would take me to get my case out of the car, the other driver drove up the hill and stopped right in front of us and hit the horn. Happened that my driver that day is a former commando and ex- of the 'security industry' and isn't the sort of bloke you'd pick a fight with.

We used to have smaller (and rounder) bollards, we once had a pizza delivery car stuck on top of one (handbrakes have a use, especially on a 25% hill) which I presume meant no one else got a pizza that night as all the delivery drivers turned to literally man-handle the car off the bollard, which took about an hour. That and the tendency for mischievous schoolchildren and drunkards (often the same) to uproot them and roll them down the hill.

Anyway, it seems the council are going to fix the bollard this time (evidently they've realised I stiff them on the bills). Be interesting how long that takes, and as it's council contractors, they'll have to redo three times (five times for dropped kerbs). Then they'll probably bill the council ten times as much as I would dare. What I do like about the council is the entire declaim responsibility and blame Biffa. Yes, but they're your contractor. It's for you to ensure they're operating appropriate vehicles and doing so safely.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21614 on: 17 June, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
South Asian Spam/Scam callers on spoofed numbers, purporting to come from Micro$0ft: just

FUCK OFF

and

FUCK OFF SOME MORE

That is all.

Three calls this afternoon, from three different voices and three different numbers.

I am Not Happy!

My handset exhausted its voles, which did not help.

« Reply #21615 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »
I must have done something right because I _never_ get spam phone calls on either my mobile or landline.  Other people I know seem to get them on a regular basis  ???   (I'm XD & have a call blocking option on my line, but that relies on you getting the calls & then blocking the number.  I just don't get the calls.)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #21616 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:19:23 pm »
Rarely, if ever, here. Generally, I've hung up before autodialler has connected. Don't engage in any way, don't listen, simply hang up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21617 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:21:08 pm »
I am registered with the TPS.
I cannot block withheld, overseas or unrecognised numbers as I need to receive calls from hospitals and from relatives abroad.
I have BT 1572 Call Protect.
Our phones are unplugged overnight until David descends for breakfast, which can be as late as 14.00.

This afternoon was just particularly bad; I didn't get the chance to block one number before I had the next call.

ian

« Reply #21618 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:24:28 pm »
If you've hung on long enough to know they're pretending to be from Microsoft, that's too long. You don't owe them a hearing. Simply put the phone down the very second you know. I've usually hung up during the autodialler delay.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21619 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:30:55 pm »
We used to get them all the time when we had a landline number[1] allocated by our-favourite-telco in the usual geographic block, while the Sipgate VOIP number (also in the 0121 area code, but not a range allocated to the BT exchanges) pretty much only gets cold calls when some company I've had dealings with decides it's a good idea to pester people by phone.

From which I conclude that they're either wardialling what they know to be the in-use ranges, or they've harvested numbers over the years, and it's pot luck whether you get one that's been spread far and wide.

My mobile seems to go through phases.  Right now, I'm getting a lot of PPI spam (mostly SMS, a couple of calls) for someone called Stephen.

[1] We still have the line, but AAISP have taken it over and it can't make or receive telephone calls.  All you get is a recording of RevK telling rogue linesmen not to steal the pair.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21620 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:41:47 pm »
The only calls I get are from insurance scammers which is obviously from my insurance company having sold them the details. The land line is only used to support broadband these days, but I’ve always had my home number XD.

I did once get a spate of M$ scammers but usually baited them by ‘logging on’ to a Linux machine and pretending I didn’t know what they wanted me to do. They were rarely computer literate enough to recognise my descriptions of Red Hat OS  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21621 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:55:03 pm »
If you've hung on long enough to know they're pretending to be from Microsoft, that's too long. You don't owe them a hearing. Simply put the phone down the very second you know. I've usually hung up during the autodialler delay.
Exactly what I do. I don't get stressed, I just hang up before it connects, and get on with my life.
Only get 1 or maybe 2 a month.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21622 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:07:28 pm »
Answer machine has made life bearable. We are inundated with these, some age related thinks. Important callers will leave a message.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21623 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »
Three calls in 62 minutes is OTT!
I was standing for two of these calls and distractions whilst standing always cause me stress. My balance and strength just aren't up to it! David was outside.
ALL the callers sounded Asian, all purported to be from Micro$oft.
The first was female; I told her I was an Apple girl, GOODBYE.
Callers #2 & #3 were male. They were TTFO, LOUDLY.
No caller had more than 20 connected seconds.

ian

« Reply #21624 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
I paraphrase Right Said Fred, who are right on this one: don't talk, don't respond, (and hang up). It might not be true, but I like to believe that in some big database of spam numbers, this gets chalked up and the value of your number decreases. Every call takes an effort, and every effort a cost. The moment you respond, the number has more value. I don't feel impolite, I didn't ask them to call. Same with chuggers and the like, 'no' and walk on. My time isn't theirs.