Author Topic: AUK AGM Hustings 2015  (Read 15922 times)

Re: AUK AGM Hustings 2015
« Reply #100 on: 06 October, 2015, 06:15:43 pm »

Though as I remember it - a bit different to Ian - that declared outward-looking purpose of AUK was tied in with incorporation, as I understood it Companies House would not have accepted something like 'to serve the interests of AUK's members' - which IMHO is what AUK should be about.

That's more-or-less what I meant.

« Reply #101 on: 06 October, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »
This is a very interesting thread, despite having done this for a couple of years I am suddenly made aware of just how little I know about the organisation itself. That I care is even more interesting... I didn't know I had an opinion.

So, some thoughts with apologies to LWaB for the hijack.

Generally the English can complicate things muchly. Sometimes it is a great strength (complexity in itself is not a negative in my eye)  and it makes for a rich and varied culture. Sometimes it is overkill and alienating. So far my experience is a rich one - I have been staggered by the generosity of organisers (Tomsk take a bow) and have enjoyed my rides immensely. I even quite like the obscurity of some of the rules, but I still couldn't tell you the difference between a BP and a BRM. The 'lower order' understanding I have suits me well enough.

As for branding and all that, the slightly quaint feel is a big part of the charm. I have a job as a digital strategist (I know, shoot me) and I find AudaxUK a relief in that it's not screaming at me all the time.  It ok to be smart but if you went Rapha on me I'd be a bit upset. If you had the same branding as at 197x or whenever it was it all started I would be happy (as long as I could do online entry!!!).

As for 200 plus, well I get that and do that but I would be a little sad to think that there weren't rides that were open for entry level riders. For some 100km is audacious, for some 50km. I wouldn't like to think that would disappear. As it is on those days where there are multiple rides you barely see the other riders on different length rides so I see this more as an issue of the intention and taste of the *organisers* - as a rider I would be loath to mandate an organiser to certain distances, or a certain style (well-catered, or X or whatever).

AUK should be a broad church. I understand it can be irritating (I am not a fan of club riders in peletons on rides myself) but I would hate to see AUK close a cloak around itself and disappear up it's own backside with exclusion and over complexity. I LIKE that AUK is not a local club, or the CTC or whatever else, it's a GREAT wee thing and I am eternally grateful that I discovered it and that it exists and that some people care enough to make it happen.

There is a balance between the spirit of the thing and the rules that make it what it is. Lets face it needs some rules as it very much a completely artificial and arbitrary pursuit (why 200, 300 400 etc? No reason at all). Honestly I think the debate on here is a healthy sign, shows that no one force will dominate, which is probably all for the best.

A

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #102 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:27:12 pm »
...It wasn't brevet Strava...
I've just spent a jolly time reading this entire thread and this is the second time I've come across this phrase, which I'm afraid I don't understand.  From the context it appears to be meant as a pejorative, but my understanding of Strava is riding as fast as possible over "segments".  Are you disapproving of our brethren who like to ride audaxes as fast as possible?  Personally I see no harm in that, although publishing event completion times may not be in keeping with the non-competitive ethos.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

hillbilly

« Reply #103 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:38:23 pm »
I take it to mean the ability to turn any cycle ride into something that can be validated by AUK, for the purpose of getting points, AAA and other totemic awards.  It's not a common expression.

This thread is a rehash of past arguments.  It's boring and fascinating at the same time.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #104 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »
3 non-riding members in the Crinkly household.
Standing at a random Stamford Bridge roadside hailing passing cyclists and offering them cheese scones and cake is audacious or at the very least supportive of audacity.   :thumbsup:
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #105 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:55:36 pm »
This thread is a rehash of past arguments.  It's boring and fascinating at the same time.

I suppose it is a certainty that any lengthy YACF thread, particularly an Audax thread, will wander about like a drunken sailor. The matching AUK forum thread is much more concise.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »
Standing at a random Stamford Bridge roadside hailing passing cyclists and offering them cheese scones and cake is audacious or at the very least supportive of audacity.   :thumbsup:

And I thought SmallestCub did a 50?  That's plenty audacious in my book.

« Reply #107 on: 06 October, 2015, 11:28:42 pm »
You don't have to ride a bike to participate in Audax. The interesting question is whether someone who is paid is participating in the same sense. Is there a purity in a voluntary activity that's diluted by commercial involvement, and should that set a limit on the scale of operations?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #108 on: 06 October, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

And I thought SmallestCub did a 50?  That's plenty audacious in my book.

He has indeed, and I've even done a 100.  Once.  I _think_ the EldestCub is up to 2 solo 50s and 2 tandem 100s (both DIYs, if memory serves).  But none of us have any points ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #109 on: 07 October, 2015, 12:07:41 am »
I've not got any points from the last two years. However I am an RRTYer.

My current life makes 200k an challenging proposition. My past didn't and my future probably won't. Should I be a member of an audacious organisation, or should I resign and reapply for membership when I next desire points?
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #110 on: 07 October, 2015, 05:52:44 am »
The interesting statistic is that at least 50% of AUKs don't ride any brevets, regardless of distance, in any given year. Given that AUK has a large number of sub-200 calendar events and AUK makes it just as easy to ride short perms as long perms, it isn't from lack of opportunity to ride sub-200 distances.

The other candidate for non-executive director seems to be very quiet and I can't put a face to the name. Was Chris Boulton the fellow who made a presentation about AUK strategy at an AGM 3 or 4 years ago but didn't stick around to answer anybody's questions?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #111 on: 07 October, 2015, 06:57:31 am »

I suppose it is a certainty that any lengthy YACF thread, particularly an Audax thread, will wander about like a drunken sailor. The matching AUK forum thread is much more concise.

But is it as interesting ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #112 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:06:47 am »
Of course not. The sound of crickets is delightful though...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #113 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:12:17 am »
......and grass growing.

« Reply #114 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:17:14 am »

The other candidate for non-executive director seems to be very quiet and I can't put a face to the name. Was Chris Boulton the fellow who made a presentation about AUK strategy at an AGM 3 or 4 years ago but didn't stick around to answer anybody's questions?

No, that was Allan Taylor, who's in Southport CC and handles the medals and badges. He's a management consultant of sorts, and rode the national 400 this year. http://southportcyclingclub.co.uk/allan-rides-the-national-400km-2526th-july/ He had to dash off for the Southport CC dinner at the AGM you're thinking of.

Chris Boulton is in VC 167, rode PBP this year, and is ex-chairman of the YHA. We spent a week with him at the Semaine Federale in 2014.
http://shprung.com/pbp/?mode=info&frame=M151

He's got a wealth of committee experience, has the time to devote to the job, and is already in post.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #115 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:57:42 am »
Sounds like a good choice and I'm glad somebody is prepared to say who he is and what he is doing.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #116 on: 07 October, 2015, 08:32:43 am »
Sounds like a good choice and I'm glad somebody is prepared to say who he is and what he is doing.
Absence from this sort of addictive chatter by a small number od people might be seen a positive feature in a candidate.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #117 on: 07 October, 2015, 08:47:52 am »
Maybe but his profile says very little and I'm not going to vote for somebody I don't know anything about.

« Reply #118 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:07:28 am »
OMG this thread is like the Audax soap opera at it's very best  ;D

There's flouncing, moaning, baddies, introduction of new characters, constant underlying storylines of what constitutes 'distance', what makes someone worthwhile, how so few people ride the bigger distances, all disguised as politics.   

The free entertainment, I love it   ;D ;D

*pulls up chair.

HK - in all seriousness, although your constant negativity does indeed improve my audax soap opera experience greatly as it always leads to a good old tussle on the internet, I do realise that there is a hurt person beneath.  I've been involved in AUK now for 2 years and in that time I have seen nothing positive from you about the organisation at all.  Sometimes in life we have to realise the relationship we are in (be that with an organisation, person, our workplace or a charity) has run it's life expectancy and it's time to cut that cord.   Sounds like you have finally made the brave decision to do so, so focus your energy in a positive way through the CTC rather than trying to spread negativity about AUK and I think the situation will be better for everyone.
Does not play well with others

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #119 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:13:06 am »
rabbit, perhaps HK's opinion has something to do with her time on the Board in 2014.

It might be easier to keep track of and answer specific questions if side issues had their own threads in future. PMs might be a better option for some things.

hillbilly

« Reply #120 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:20:28 am »

Brookeside?

« Reply #121 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:22:21 am »

Brookeside?

(north) East (south) (west) Enders?
Does not play well with others

« Reply #122 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
Enemadale?

« Reply #123 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:58:50 am »
Organisers may retain email addresses from their ride entries for the purposes of sending out ride details, but YOU give them this for this purpose.  Organisers may hold this data for 1 year only (in my opinion) for the purpose of promoting the next season's event
https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act

I don't think promoting the next event is included in the "limited specific" purposes I give my details for.

I've not got any points from the last two years. However I am an RRTYer.

My current life makes 200k an challenging proposition. My past didn't and my future probably won't. Should I be a member of an audacious organisation, or should I resign and reapply for membership when I next desire points?

Why do you want to be a member of the organisation? What does it give you (apart from guaranteed entry to LEL 2017 which I'm guessing you won't take up?) Why, when you don't plan to ride any long distance events do you want to stay a member?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #124 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:02:45 am »
The magazine is pretty good.