Author Topic: My Website  (Read 804 times)

Afasoas

My Website
« on: 26 October, 2013, 10:38:48 pm »
Finally made time to try and finish my website.

It's still nowhere near finished, but I figured it would be a good time to invite some comments/critique/feedback. Especially as some of  you have done a lot more with websites than I have.

http://www.danielcaddenphotographer.co.uk/

Thanks in advance.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: My Website
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2013, 01:56:12 am »
The site is clean and tidy, expansive and works well but here's a couple of things from a passing glance.

The facebook like counter on the lightbox is being cut off.

The Pricing menu item is being wrapped to the next level down on my machine running firefox.

The design is a bit, I dunno, it screams more software than it does photographer. The images should take pride of place and the whole thing needs a bit more design work to finish it off.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2013, 10:55:35 am »
Thanks Sam.

I've fixed the menu. The facebook counter is a good spot. I need to investigate that one.

I've got another Wordpress Theme to try out that will hopefully give the images a bigger spot light without compromising usability - but that's a project for the future. I think it marks a vast improvement on my previous websites.

It's quite easy to tweak fonts, spacing etc. and of course change the content.

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:26:15 am »
I'd echo Sam's comment that there are too many words taking precedence. I'd consider having a landing page of a single arresting image with the business name that jumps to your main page on 5 seconds or click. I wouldn't use the first one up of the couple kissing, while I understand why you chose it, she doesn't look very comfortable at all.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:35:45 am »
I wouldn't use a wedding photo as a main or first image, because it's too samey. I visit a couple of hundred photographers' websites every week (it's connected with my work) and almost all of them consist mainly of wedding photos. It gets rather boring and it makes a pleasant change to see a photo that's not of a wedding. OTOH, it does suggest that's where most of the work is, so you don't want to push it too far away.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.